Trippin' Turpins

Bali

30 January 2015
When I last wrote our boys had just flown back to Australia. We spent a couple more nights at the hotel and then we went back to Thorfinn at Bali Marina. Trish, a friend from Western Australia, was holidaying in Bali so we caught up with her for a drink, a swim in the pool at her hotel and we popped in to see her while she got her tattoo.

Trish getting her tattoo at 'House of Ink' Kuta.
Trish getting her tattoo at 'House of Ink' Kuta.

While visiting Trish at the Melasti in Legian a butterfly landed on my face and wouldn't go... it tickled so much.
While visiting Trish at the Melasti in Legian a butterfly landed on my face and wouldn't go... it tickled so much.

A few days later we moved Thorfinn to a mooring at Serangan. Trish came along for a sail, and it was a good thing she did. During a routine check on the engine room, Dwayne found the bilge full of water. We had a leak somewhere... a very fast leak! A semi-controlled panic ensued as Dwayne set up the manual bilge pump. It was my job to pump and Trish steered the boat, as Dwayne searched for, found and fixed the busted hose.

I manually pumped the bilge pump to clear the water from the bilge while Trish steered the boat.
I manually pumped the bilge pump to clear the water from the bilge while Trish steered the boat.

Dwayne finding and fixing the leak.
Dwayne finding and fixing the leak.

Tragedy averted, we sailed on to Serangan, where we discovered the way points we were given, to guide us through the reef, which surrounded the opening to the bay, were out by a mile! Eventually, we were guided through and to our mooring. We then lazed about on Thorfinn's deck until we took Trish ashore for some local food at Warung Pak Cong.

Dinner at Warung Pak Cong
Dinner at Warung Pak Cong

To see where Serangan is have a look on the position map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zwdahtcagx6Q.kHSg4Qt50eg8

A mooring at Serangan cost about Rp100000 per night, that's about AUS$10 compared to the $35 per night at the marina. To grab a mooring, contact Ruth at Isle Marine Services on +628123847850 or info@islemarine.com.

On Seranagn we met other sailors and expats and spent some time at Warung Pojok having a drink and a chat with them.

Warung Pojok which means Corner Eatery. The proprietors Dana and his wife are very friendly, helpful people. It was a great relaxing place to hang out.
Warung Pojok which means Corner Eatery. The proprietors Dana and his wife are very friendly, helpful people. It was a great relaxing place to hang out.

Drinks at Pojok. From left... Dana, Ilija, Jessie, Mathias, Herman and Kelly.
Drinks at Pojok. From left... Dana, Ilija, Jessie, Mathias, Herman and Kelly.

We would sometimes have a meal with friends at Pojok or go for dinner at one of the other local Warungs. It was nice to have a bit of company and a chat about common interests i.e. sailing, travelling, Indonesia.

IMG_0510
Dinner with the crowd.. from left Oleg, Michal, Kelly, Ilija, Jessie and Mathias.

IMG_0507
Jessie, Mathias, Oleg and Dwayne feasting on grilled prawns and fish!

We went to the Department of Immigration to extend our visas but they told us we needed to go through our agent who is in Jakarta. We went to Ruth at Isle Marine Services and asked if she could help us. We were told we needed an explanation as to why the Indonesian Consulate in Darwin had put "Thorfinn" on the visa document. So we had to wait for that letter to arrive before we could apply for an extension... long story short, we didn't get our application in soon enough (one week before the expiry) and it was therefore rejected. Consequently, we had to fly out of Bali and back in to renew our visa (but that's another story!)

Sanua Bike Park
Parking at Sanur...... ummm where'd I put the bike?

While in Bali we spent some time at Sanur. We like Sanur with its warungs and restaurants along the beach. Sanur  has a bit of everything, shopping, restaurants, cafes, bars, hotels, most water sports, surf, local food stalls and a walkway for miles along the beach. We spent a couple of afternoons lazing in the sun lounges reading and swimming. The only downfall of Sanur is that the water is not very clear. It could just be that we were there in wet season with the rain, and the run off and flow from the rivers may contribute.... it might be clearer during dry season.

Some of the markets at Sanur
Some of the markets at Sanur

One of the many strange things you see on a simple walk through Sanur. This sacred cow is at one of the resorts on the beach!
One of the many strange things you see on a simple walk through Sanur. This sacred cow is at one of the resorts on the beach!

We spent a lot of time on our stand-up paddle boards and I caught my first waves at a reef break off the point. Dwayne, who used to surf all the time was a natural and could enjoy the waves for hours, I on the other hand, often had my sinuses cleaned out while being flung around under the waves. It was a lot of fun and good exercise!

DCIM999GOPRO


We have been to Bali plenty of times before and know our way around Kuta and other parts of Bali. Therefore we chose to once again ride a scooter. This is, as always, a test of skill, concentration, and my ability to grip Dwayne with my thighs!!!

Once you get accustomed to riding in Bali, and if you are an experienced motorcycle rider, then getting around Bali on a scooter is the best, most convenient way.

DCIM999GOPRO

We often see people, locals and tourist alike, riding around without a helmet. WTF? Ok I can understand that you think that you look sexy riding around with the wind in your hair... whatever. You are mad if you don't wear a helmet... even if you think your skills are superb, you are super intelligent, quick reacting and don't make mistakes, remember the other road users are not always as smart as you... especially the tourist! When riding in Bali you have to be aware of, and dodge, the other cars, bikes, trucks, dogs, cows and chickens! Don't ask me why the chicken crossed the road.... I just know he did.... often!

But I regress.. we have gone around Bali before on a scooter, taking in places such as Lovina, Singaraja, Negara, Medewi, Giimanuk, and even over to Java. We would have loved to do that again but we were with our beloved Thorfinn and no girl should be left alone while on holiday. So we stayed with our girl.

If you haven't seen my very short video "Riding Bali" check it out at  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wWppzWBT4I

The bike made it easy to visit places such as Nusa Dua, Uluwatu, Denpasar, Sanur, Kuta, Legian, Ubud, Canggu and Seminyak. We spent a day riding around Uluwatu and along the coast. At Uluwatu we took in the view and had a fresh coconut to drink before moving on.

One of the great views at Uluwatu.
One of the great views at Uluwatu.

Lots of stairs to traverse at Uluwatu!
Lots of stairs to traverse at Uluwatu!

We found a cute little beach called 'Impossible Beach'. It was a lucky find as there was just the words 'Impossible Beach' written on a stone wall and an arrow pointing to a path. It was a bit of a walk along the path and lots of stairs before we arrived. The view is beautiful but the beach, although gorgeous was not very good to swim at. There was a strong undertow and although we had a dip, the water kept trying to pull me out and so I gave up the fight and got out.

Impossible Beach... not quite to the beach yet. It was a really nice walk.
Impossible Beach... not quite to the beach yet. It was a really nice walk.

We would often go to Kuta for a massage at Bali Beauty Salon on Jl. Benesari, Kuta. Agung and Ari, there are fantastic. Both have strong hands and we would get a great massage from the tips of our toes to the tips of our fingers... and cheap only Rp50000 about AUS $5. We would then usually go across the road to The Rooster Bar to say hello to Nick, have a couple of drinks and play pool.

The Rooster Bar - Dwayne and Nick playing pool
The Rooster Bar - Dwayne and Nick playing pool

Food in Bali

We love eating and love Asian food! Indonesian is one of our favourites and when in Bali we eat with the locals when ever we can. We ate ayam goreng, ikan bakar and soto ayam at some small warungs on Serangan and enjoyed Bakso from the carts. I had a birthday lunch of grilled fish, kangkung, seaweed and rice at one of the warungs... it was really good.

Birthday feast
My birthday feast!

Ready to eat at Serangan
Lovely outdoor dinning on Serangan.

checking out the cooking fish
Checking out the fish cooking.

 

At Sanur, (away from the touristy area) we found the best sate babi (pork sates) served with rice cake. Through the streets of denpasar and Kuta we would often pull over at a little warung for a freshly blended fruit juice and found the best babi guling place in Denpasar. They use every part of the pig!

Babi guling.... a thousand ways!
Babi guling.... a thousand ways!

On Jl. Raya Kuta there are a huge number of warungs that sold cheap, delicious meals. If you are interested to know more about the food we ate, price and location, read more at dwayneeatshiswaythroughasia.wordpress.com.

Well that's about it for now... check out my new blog Dwayne Eats His Way Through Asia. It also has the link to a funny little video. Sampai Jumpa Lagi
Comments
Vessel Name: Thorfinn
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 45
Hailing Port: Adelaide, South Australia
Crew: Dwayne & Kelly Turpin
About: After seven years of planning we sold the house and moved aboard Thorfinn in October 2013. Our journey started in May 2014 in Australia and, if all goes well, it will continue for many years with many seas to sail and places to visit.
Extra: Intrepid sailors, perpetual travellers, enthusiastic fisher people and lovers of food. Visit our other blogs at http://trippinturpins.com http://gourmetfromthegalley.com Like our Facebook page - Trippin' Turpins - A Sailing Adventure.
Home Page: https://trippinturpins.com
Social: