Adventures of Tropicali

Vessel Name: Tropicali
Vessel Make/Model: DEW 33
Hailing Port: Tin Can Bay
Crew: Stuart Pryor and Dianne Pryor
About: From Poona, Queensland they go to sea. There is nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats
12 October 2017
09 October 2017
08 October 2017
04 October 2017
22 September 2017
20 September 2017
08 September 2017
06 September 2017 | Butterfly / Stonehaven
02 September 2017 | Hill Inlet
29 August 2017
21 August 2017
17 August 2017
16 August 2017
12 August 2017
Recent Blog Posts
15 October 2017

The last post...☹️☹️☹️

They say all good things come to an end, and after 105 days of our first venture north on Tropicali, we are now back in Tin Can Bay wondering where the last few months have gone and how the trip has affected us.

12 October 2017

Home waters again !

Over the last two days, we have milked the continuing run of northerlies from Bundaberg to our home port of Tin Can Bay. We have been incredibly lucky to have ridden this northerly flow from the Whitsundays all the way home over a two week run.

09 October 2017

1770 to Bundaberg

Just love 1770, it's on the must do again list. Yes, it's shallow, but it is a pretty place to sit in Round Hill Creek, especially at night. No wonder Captain Cook took the Endeavour in there. It must have been a LOT deeper in 1770!

08 October 2017

Day 100 - Town of 1770

Hard to believe, but it is 100 days since we left Poona, and sadly, we are rapidly heading back home, with a stop in Bundaberg likely for the next two days.

06 October 2017

Back through the Narrows again

It seems like only 2 weeks ago we were travelling north through the Narrows, but as we are now at day 98 of the trip, I guess it was quite some time ago.

04 October 2017

Back to sea again

After having Tropicali at Rosslyn Bay Harbour for 9 days, 4 of which were while we travelled to Sydney to farewell son Chris off to the UK, and 2 more waiting for the soggy weather to clear, we made a break today for Great Keppel.

Getting ready for Rendezvous

18 August 2017
Back in Airlie again, seems like a home away from home. This time for four days to do laundry, water up, provision and get necessary liquid supplies for the SICYC rendezvous.

So what is this rendezvous? It is a gathering of members of the "Shag Islet Cruising Yacht Club". With only eight years of existence, it has now grown to over 5,700 members in 17 countries. Everyone who joins pays a one time life membership payment of $65, becomes a "vice commodore" and gets a distinctive polo shirt. Members can then purchase a club burgee that is flown on the boat to signify their membership to other boaties.

The club has only two main aims, to have fun and to raise as much money as possible for prostate cancer research. There are no admin costs, or salaries, every dollar raised goes directly to the PCFOA.

Every year, in the last week of August, as many members who can make the journey, gather at Gloucester Passage, about 20nm northwest of Airlie Beach, where a tiny islet, Shag Islet, appears at low tide. Events mostly take place onshore at Montes Resort or Cape Gloucester Resort. Events are a constant source of entertainment and involvement, even a temporary live radio station is setup to broadcast the events on FM and live streamed on the net.

It is expected this year to attract more than 600 people and 250 boats. So far, over $400,000 has been raised for prostate cancer research. Money is raised by an attendance fee, auctions of donated goods and services from a growing list of sponsors, even from sundry sources such as a hairdresser being at the rendezvous donating her time and money raised, and a host of other sources.

At the outset of our cruise, we were always targeting the rendezvous as a prime objective, and so we will head off on Monday21st Aug, to gather for this iconic event. The event grows and grows, no doubt it will soon become a nationally reported event in the near future. It is a truly worthy cause and we have met a so many wonderful people who are as passionate about it as we are.
Comments
Tropicali's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 29 July 2017
2 Photos
Created 1 July 2017

About & Links