Troubadour

Living the Dream

Who: Captain Chris May & Admiral Linda Moore
Port: Key Largo, Florida (But we're from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. " --Mark Twain
20 December 2011 | US Virgin Islands
03 October 2011 | Culebra, Puerto Rico
21 August 2011 | Ceiba, Puerto Rico
17 August 2011 | Roosevelt Roads Marina, Puerto Rico
24 June 2011 | Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico
13 June 2011 | Ponce, Puerto Rico
05 June 2011 | Boca Chica, DR
26 May 2011 | Ile a Vache, Haiti
21 May 2011 | Manzanillo Bay
14 May 2011 | Ocean World Marina
19 April 2011 | Sapodilla Bay, Provo, Turks & Caicos
13 April 2011 | Sapodilla Bay, Provo, Turks & Caicos
05 April 2011 | Sapodilla Bay, Provo, Turks & Caicos
30 March 2011 | Clarence Town, Long Island, Bahamas
28 March 2011 | Clarence Town, Long Island
21 March 2011 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
15 March 2011 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
13 February 2011 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
29 January 2011 | Georgetown, Great Exuma

Light & Variable

18 June 2009 | Inlet Cove Marina, Ponce Inlet, FL
Linda & Chris, Highs 90's, Lows 70's
We've been working on a number of projects and are getting closer to sailing off shore. In order to make sure we get you completely up to date, I'll look on our Facebook pages where we frequently post a comment on what's been going on, and I'll look at the pictures I've taken (and now, posted to the Photo Albums: Refit Round Three - Rigging & Deck Maintenance).

Remember the leaks we whined about in the May 24 blog posting? Well we've fixed them. Okay, Chris fixed all of them except for the dribble down the port forward settee section of the hull (which we think is from where a chock was replaced). Since that particular leak needs caulking around the deck screws and involves removing the cubbies and settee, and we were planning on doing that later to replace the headliner, Chris MacGyver'd it for now with tape and plastic shopping bags.

The thunderstorms we get daily are a wonderful blessing now, because the rains clean off the sun baked bird poop, and prove our leaks have been fixed (except for that one I just talked about).

Arts & Crafts - Not really, but that's what some folks around here call it when they see me sewing. And I've been doing more of it. I completed the skylight cover which looks great with a frame of Sunbrella around Phifertex Plus, which lets light in while filtering 90% of the UV rays to keep the boat cool inside, while providing privacy and protecting the acrylic. Custom made winch, compass, cockpit instrument panel, and anchor windlass covers keeps these expensive mechanical items protected when not in use. It looks pretty snazzy, too, in Mediterranean Blue Sunbrella with Toast trim. I am also using some neoprene material to make cozies for our wine bottles to keep them protected and cool in stowage.

Did I mention the anchor windlass? The old one was so rusty on the boat survey last year; the surveyor couldn't make out a brand. We knew it wouldn't last too long, and lately it would spin but wouldn't budge 200 lbs, much less hold a 20 ton boat. How do we know? It wouldn't pull Chris up the mast (but he doesn't weigh that much!). Chris got the old one out and installed the new one. 3" holes in fiberglass meant a RIP for the drill Chris has had since college, but persistence and a new drill paid off and the new windlass works great and has a wireless remote. Now we need to buy new chain. (Check out the before and after pics.)

Chris deep cleaned and brightened the exterior teak hand rails as well as the teak rails around the hatch. He used the two part SEMCO process. The process involves cleaning and sealing the teak. We like the natural look. We will need to keep up with it every six months or so, but it is easy and looks great.

Chris also decided he would try his hand at catching crabs. He put some bait in an old pot and ... found a seahorse on the rope, which was way cool, and a whole bunch of small fish in the trap, that he let go, but no crabs :-(

I've made several trips to the locker with the intention of getting nearly everything loaded on the boat by the end of the month. A seemingly daunting process that has me wondering, "Where is it all going to go?" However, like piecing together a jigsaw puzzle, I am finding a location for everything. I am also making a master list such as... computer mouse pads are under the settee cushions, and bottles of wine are in the cubby with my shoes. Creativity is the key!

Winds have been light and variable; however we took a chance and ventured out for another 90 minute sail along the coast. We raised the main, furled out the jib and had a nice, albeit slow ride. All looks good so far.

Cheers!
Comments
Vessel Name: Troubadour - Beneteau Idylle 15.50
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Idylle 15.50
Hailing Port: Key Largo, Florida (But we're from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA)
Crew: Captain Chris May & Admiral Linda Moore
About: Chris and Linda chose early retirement from corporate "office space" and cubicle life at GE Healthcare in Waukesha, Wis., to pursue their dream of going "down island" to the Caribbean.
Extra:
Our backgrounds: ***Linda is an insured PADI Divemaster and Master Scuba Diver. She is also a member of DAN the Divers Alert Network. She is trained as a Red Cross Emergency Responder; has completed the STCW BST (Basic Safety Training), and holds a USCG MMD (Ordinary Seaman). She has been sailing [...]

Living the Dream

Who: Captain Chris May & Admiral Linda Moore
Port: Key Largo, Florida (But we're from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. " --Mark Twain
"I got my toes in the water, ass in the sand; Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand. Life is good today, life is good today" -- "Toes" by the Zach Brown Band