Aboard s.v. Trudy Mae

Vessel Name: Trudy Mae
Vessel Make/Model: Grampian 30
Hailing Port: Toronto
14 February 2010 | Jekyll Island, Geeorgia
08 February 2010 | Titusville, Florida
04 February 2010 | Titusville, Florida
03 February 2010 | Daytona Beach, Florida
30 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
26 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
25 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
20 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
17 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
10 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
28 December 2009 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
24 December 2009 | Fernandina Beach, FL
12 December 2009 | South Carolina
28 November 2009 | Hospital Point, Norfolk, Virginia
22 November 2009 | Chesapeake Bay
15 November 2009 | Delaware Bay
04 November 2009 | Cape May, NJ
28 October 2009 | New York State
20 October 2009 | Oswego Canal
18 October 2009 | Oswego, NY
Recent Blog Posts
14 February 2010 | Jekyll Island, Geeorgia

Northbound

It was chilly on Monday. We were going to head into Titusville and do a bit of provisioning, but decided it could wait a day and just hung about the boat discussing where we should go next. With a month long layover starting the last week of February we needed to decide where we wanted to be for that [...]

08 February 2010 | Titusville, Florida

Endeavour Launch

We arrived in Titusville as planned on Thursday and anchored out in front of the Titusville Municipal Marina. We arrived early enough to hop in the dinghy and go in and check out the neighbourhood before heading back and cooking supper.

04 February 2010 | Titusville, Florida

What a difference a day makes

Up early and on the move again by 7 AM this morning, we aim to put in another longish day, covering the remaining 46 miles to Titusville as they are calling for rain tomorrow...no sense standing out in the cockpit in the rain if you don't have to.

03 February 2010 | Daytona Beach, Florida

On the move again

We are on the move again. We left St Augustine this morning at first light on our way to Titusville to see the Endeavour launch - scheduled for 4:39 AM Sunday morning. It was supposed to be a fairly warm sunny day with a high around 72 F but for the most part is was cloudy and breezy...so we were still [...]

30 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida

Provisioning and Stowing

We've spent the week provisioning and stowing in preparation for moving on from St. Augustine. As you can imagine, after being in one place for a month some of the lockers seem to have emptied themselves...at least partly. The winter clothes are now stowed where the summer clothes used to be and the [...]

26 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida

A few more pictures

A few more pictures have been added to the Florida Photos - 2010 photo album.

Delaware Bay

15 November 2009 | Delaware Bay
We are finally on our way again. We left Cape May this morning and are currently motoring up Delaware Bay on a beautiful warm sunny day.

So to catch you up...here's the whole sad story...

We did pass through New York City harbour on Thursday Oct 29th and could have headed to Liberty State Park but it seemed too early in the day to stop...so we headed for Atlantic Highlands...and we'd have made it too if we hadn't blown the impeller just before the bridge at the narrows. We anchored (so as not to drift into the retaining wall made of giant boulders) and called for a tow (rather than attempt to fix it there with our emergency (used) impeller and then try to anchor in the dark). Tow Boat US (thank goodness we'd purchased the towing insurance when we were in Oswego) got us to Atlantic Highlands and dropped us off on a mooring just as it was getting dark.

Doug managed to find a place that had our impeller in stock, but it was about 30 miles away...but he also managed to find a sympathetic fisherman who offered to give him a lift out to the marine store and back. Once we had the part it was a quick fix with water happily splashing out of the stern. The engine was happy...or so we thought. Now ready to move on...Mother Nature decided we'd stay. We were weathered in by high seas and gale warnings.

Finally on Tuesday Nov 3rd the weather was settled enough to make a run for Cape Ma...although there was still a small craft warning due to gusts forecasted to be up to 25 kts. It was a beautiful day and we sailed along quite happily. Before dark we reefed the main and put up the storm jib - just in case - and carried on. It was a beautiful evening with a huge full harvest moon to light the way (not to mention the lights of Atlantic City - yikes no environmentalist there). Around 2 AM the winds picked up and the main sail had to come down. We were still moving at 5-6 kts with just the storm jib (we think NOAA's forecast was a bit conservative). Shortly after daybreak we turned in and headed for Cape May harbour. We anchored and started to plan our next move...hoping to hang out for a few hours and wait for low tide and head for Delaware Bay...but that plan was quashed when Doug checked the oil...or what used to be oil. It now looked like wet cement. The rest of the day was spent trying to determine exactly what the problem was.

On Thursday (Nov 5th) we headed into Utsch's Marina. We needed parts and there were more gale warnings starting overnight. By late Friday we had identified the problem...we needed a new water pump (we know...we know...it's never the water pump. According to Moyer Marine in all the years it's only ever been the water pump once...well now it's twice)...but it was too late to order it...so we were stuck again. We made the best of it and toured Cape May, provisioned, did laundry and other maintenance jobs around the boat. Monday the water pump was ordered and Tuesday it arrived and was installed in short order...followed by 3 oil changes. Another week had passed but the engine was purring and not "making oil"...so again we are ready to go except for the "Atlantic Assault" (the tropical storm formally known as Ida) moving up the coast. Foiled again!

For 3 days the winds howled and rain pelted. Finally yesterday it subsided but we still had to wait a day for the seas to calm.

So finally we are on our way again. Lunch has just been served on the Lido Deck (ok...its just the cockpit) and the sun is shinning...it's 20 degrees and its just about low tide so we should be picking up speed as the incoming tide carries us along with it. Next stop...somewhere in the Chesapeake sometime tomorrow...
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
Star of the Sea