Aboard s.v. Trudy Mae

Vessel Name: Trudy Mae
Vessel Make/Model: Grampian 30
Hailing Port: Toronto
14 February 2010 | Jekyll Island, Geeorgia
08 February 2010 | Titusville, Florida
04 February 2010 | Titusville, Florida
03 February 2010 | Daytona Beach, Florida
30 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
26 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
25 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
20 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
17 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
10 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
28 December 2009 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
24 December 2009 | Fernandina Beach, FL
12 December 2009 | South Carolina
28 November 2009 | Hospital Point, Norfolk, Virginia
22 November 2009 | Chesapeake Bay
15 November 2009 | Delaware Bay
04 November 2009 | Cape May, NJ
28 October 2009 | New York State
20 October 2009 | Oswego Canal
18 October 2009 | Oswego, NY
Recent Blog Posts
14 February 2010 | Jekyll Island, Geeorgia

Northbound

It was chilly on Monday. We were going to head into Titusville and do a bit of provisioning, but decided it could wait a day and just hung about the boat discussing where we should go next. With a month long layover starting the last week of February we needed to decide where we wanted to be for that [...]

08 February 2010 | Titusville, Florida

Endeavour Launch

We arrived in Titusville as planned on Thursday and anchored out in front of the Titusville Municipal Marina. We arrived early enough to hop in the dinghy and go in and check out the neighbourhood before heading back and cooking supper.

04 February 2010 | Titusville, Florida

What a difference a day makes

Up early and on the move again by 7 AM this morning, we aim to put in another longish day, covering the remaining 46 miles to Titusville as they are calling for rain tomorrow...no sense standing out in the cockpit in the rain if you don't have to.

03 February 2010 | Daytona Beach, Florida

On the move again

We are on the move again. We left St Augustine this morning at first light on our way to Titusville to see the Endeavour launch - scheduled for 4:39 AM Sunday morning. It was supposed to be a fairly warm sunny day with a high around 72 F but for the most part is was cloudy and breezy...so we were still [...]

30 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida

Provisioning and Stowing

We've spent the week provisioning and stowing in preparation for moving on from St. Augustine. As you can imagine, after being in one place for a month some of the lockers seem to have emptied themselves...at least partly. The winter clothes are now stowed where the summer clothes used to be and the [...]

26 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida

A few more pictures

A few more pictures have been added to the Florida Photos - 2010 photo album.

Northbound

14 February 2010 | Jekyll Island, Geeorgia
It was chilly on Monday. We were going to head into Titusville and do a bit of provisioning, but decided it could wait a day and just hung about the boat discussing where we should go next. With a month long layover starting the last week of February we needed to decide where we wanted to be for that month. Farther south would be nice, but then we'd really be under the gun to make it home on schedule...so we decided we'd go north...just not exactly how far north. We threw around a few spots....Jekyll Island (just south of Savannah), Wilmington, Charleston, Georgetown...even as far as Oriental, NC...but didn't come to any firm conclusions.

Tuesday morning just before first light Doug roused me from a sound sleep and announced we were leaving. Suddenly he was anxious to get going. Apparently it was a long trip to wherever we were going. I barely had time to get dressed before the engine was on and I could hear the anchor chain falling into the anchor locker...and we were off. We didn't stop until we were back anchored in almost the exact same spot we'd been in 6 days before at Daytona Beach.

Wednesday we were weathered in at Daytona Beach by cold high winds. It was a rocky day on the hook but we managed to narrow down our layover destination to either Jekyll Island, Georgia or Georgetown, South Carolina. Jekyll Island is a very pretty with a lovely marina with a courtesy car, bikes, more bike trails than roads and tennis courts... and barely north of Florida so hopefully warm. Georgetown is a small southern city (about 35 miles south of Myrtle Beach, NC) with a very nice marina (with new bathrooms, showers and laundry) in the heart of the historical downtown, with tennis courts only ΒΌ mile away and a Piggly Wiggly that will pick you up and drop you off again...and at Mile Marker 403 of the ICW it's halfway to Norfolk (with the worst of the ICW's shallow depths out of the way) breaking the trip north up quite nicely.

Thursday we were on the move again. We anchored about 5 miles shy of St Augustine and at days end we were still waffling between Jekyll Island and Georgetown.

Friday was cold (just a few degrees above freezing) windy and raining steadily. We anchored at noon. We'd managed to cover almost 20 miles but it was just too miserably cold and wet to continue. We checked the weather and they were actually calling for snow over night - although they didn't expect any accumulation (small mercies). We spent the rest of the day trying to keep warm. The oven was busy...first muffins...then a loaf of bread...then dinner...and then brownies. Probably not one of Doug's most pleasurable birthdays...but we did finally decide that our destination would be Georgetown...short term pain for long term gain (at least that's the theory).

With a shorter than planned distance covered on Friday, Saturday was a marathon. We covered the remaining 49 miles to Fernandina Beach. We pulled onto the gas dock at about 4 PM, filled up and paid for a dock for the night. Once tied off at the dock we launched into phase two...fill the water tank, dispose of the garbage, head to town and hit the post office, bank, grocery store...then back to the boat to stow the groceries, shower and do laundry while having a bite to eat...and then out on the town for a belated birthday drink before calling it a day.

There was frost on the deck and the dock this morning. The heater was on full blast all night. It kept us toasty warm and everything in the boat is once again dry. The sun is shining but we are bundled up (the toques, scarves and mitts are out again). We've just past by Jekyll Island...so I guess that makes the decision final...Georgetown or bust...if we don't freeze to death first!

Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
Star of the Sea