Aboard s.v. Trudy Mae

Vessel Name: Trudy Mae
Vessel Make/Model: Grampian 30
Hailing Port: Toronto
14 February 2010 | Jekyll Island, Geeorgia
08 February 2010 | Titusville, Florida
04 February 2010 | Titusville, Florida
03 February 2010 | Daytona Beach, Florida
30 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
26 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
25 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
20 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
17 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
10 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida
28 December 2009 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
24 December 2009 | Fernandina Beach, FL
12 December 2009 | South Carolina
28 November 2009 | Hospital Point, Norfolk, Virginia
22 November 2009 | Chesapeake Bay
15 November 2009 | Delaware Bay
04 November 2009 | Cape May, NJ
28 October 2009 | New York State
20 October 2009 | Oswego Canal
18 October 2009 | Oswego, NY
Recent Blog Posts
14 February 2010 | Jekyll Island, Geeorgia

Northbound

It was chilly on Monday. We were going to head into Titusville and do a bit of provisioning, but decided it could wait a day and just hung about the boat discussing where we should go next. With a month long layover starting the last week of February we needed to decide where we wanted to be for that [...]

08 February 2010 | Titusville, Florida

Endeavour Launch

We arrived in Titusville as planned on Thursday and anchored out in front of the Titusville Municipal Marina. We arrived early enough to hop in the dinghy and go in and check out the neighbourhood before heading back and cooking supper.

04 February 2010 | Titusville, Florida

What a difference a day makes

Up early and on the move again by 7 AM this morning, we aim to put in another longish day, covering the remaining 46 miles to Titusville as they are calling for rain tomorrow...no sense standing out in the cockpit in the rain if you don't have to.

03 February 2010 | Daytona Beach, Florida

On the move again

We are on the move again. We left St Augustine this morning at first light on our way to Titusville to see the Endeavour launch - scheduled for 4:39 AM Sunday morning. It was supposed to be a fairly warm sunny day with a high around 72 F but for the most part is was cloudy and breezy...so we were still [...]

30 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida

Provisioning and Stowing

We've spent the week provisioning and stowing in preparation for moving on from St. Augustine. As you can imagine, after being in one place for a month some of the lockers seem to have emptied themselves...at least partly. The winter clothes are now stowed where the summer clothes used to be and the [...]

26 January 2010 | St Augustine, Florida

A few more pictures

A few more pictures have been added to the Florida Photos - 2010 photo album.

Endeavour Launch

08 February 2010 | Titusville, Florida
We arrived in Titusville as planned on Thursday and anchored out in front of the Titusville Municipal Marina. We arrived early enough to hop in the dinghy and go in and check out the neighbourhood before heading back and cooking supper.

As predicted, the winds kicked up on Friday ...and Saturday...but it was still warm. We did a bit of shopping and caught up on a few maintenance jobs...but mostly relaxed and read and enjoyed the weather.

When we went to bed on Saturday night the sky was clear and the Endeavour launch was still a 'go' with an 80% chance the weather would be clear enough at the 4:39 am launch time. We set the alarm for 3:45 am and went to bed.

At 3:45 when the alarm went off...we hit the snooze button...but just once. Then we were up checking the sky, the NASA website, making coffee and trying to find a radio station covering the launch. The latest update on the NASA website said they were still a 'go' if the weather cleared. Doug managed to find a radio station covering the launch at about 4:30....just in time for the announcement that they were 'scrubbing' the launch due to the weather and were going to try again the following morning at 4:14 am...so we went back to bed.

Sunday was another windy day, but that allowed the luxury of watching the entire Superbowl (and all of the American Superbowl commercials) AND enjoying cold beer as the wind generator had no problem keeping up with our energy consumption.

We checked the NASA website before turning in and it reported a 60% probability for launch dependant on the weather. We set the alarm again and crossed our fingers.
At 3:45 the alarm went off and we hopped out of bed and repeated the same routine as the previous night. Patchy clouds filled the sky, but NASA said the weather in Florida was fine, but in order to launch at least one of the 3 alternate landing sites (in Spain and France) had to have clear weather as well...so we waited. About 5 minutes before the scheduled launch NASA announced the weather had cleared at one of the alternate landing sites and they were a 'go' for launch.

We listened to the count down on the radio while standing in the cockpit, camera poised. At 5 seconds to go the sky lit up and it was like sunset in reverse as this huge fireball of light silently lifted off the horizon. It was so bright you couldn't distinguish the shuttle from the rockets it was attached to...it was just one big glowing ball of light rising in the sky. There was a full 5 seconds of silence before the thunderous roar of liftoff travelled the 5 miles between us and the launch pad and engulfed us. Endeavour climbed up past the clouds and the bright sky faded back to darkness as the roar turned to a rumble and then faded back to silence. We watched until it looked like a bright star in the night sky...or maybe an orbiting satellite. It was all over in less than a minute.

We continued to listen to the radio, but after a few minutes they returned to their regular programming once Endeavour was past the point where they could make an emergency landing at one of the alternate landing sites. The astronauts were 'safely' on their way to the space station...so we headed back to bed for a bit more sleep.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
Star of the Sea