The Adventure Begins

S.V True North - 2006 Hylas 54 Hull #42

In search of the Sphinx

Thursday February 27, 2020

The morning dawned calm and overcast but the forecast was for it to turn sunny, 22 degrees with light winds. We had no workers coming to do repairs so we decided to travel up Pittwater Bay, around the Lambert Peninsula Head and head down Cowen Creek to Bobbin Head. There was very little wind so the trip was under motor all the way. Once we passed Cottage Point about half way down Cowen Creek, all other boating traffic disappeared and we were alone with the wilderness of Ku-Ring-Gai Chase national park on both shores.

We arrived at Bobbin Head around noon and anchored out of the channel. The depth was about 26 feet so we needed to let out over 100 feet of anchor chain which put us close to the shore. The anchor seemed to have a good set and the wind was not forecast to increase so we decided to stay where we were and go by dinghy across the bay to Bobbin Head, look around and possibly do one of the hikes mentioned in the cruising guide.

Once ashore in Bobbin Head, we found that there was very little to see but we were able to get an ice cream from the small café. We decided to go on a 6KM hike to see the Sphinx statue. The hike followed the shore of Cowan Creek as it got smaller and smaller. We eventually reached a sign pointing to the Sphinx trail which headed inland up a steep hill. After ¾ of a kilometer, we arrived at the Sphinx statue which was a memorial made by a WW 1 soldier who had been stationed in Egypt and had seen the Sphinx there. The site of the statue was where a convalescent hospital for WW 1 veterans had been situated.

After viewing the statue, we took a fire road which was an easier trail back to Bobbin Head to complete about a 12Km round trip moderate hike.

We enjoyed a lovely day, had dinner on the boat (Quiche, Salad and white wine) and I baked a brownie for future consumption (It is still cooling on the counter). We will stay anchored at this location tonight and then determine where to head in the morning.


Comments