The Next Adventure

12 January 2022
07 January 2022 | Mistletoe Bay, Marlborough Sounds.
06 January 2022
05 January 2022
04 January 2022 | Coppermine Bay, D’Urville Island
03 January 2022 | En route to D’Urville Island
05 September 2021 | Golden Bay
08 April 2015 | Adele Island, Abe Tasman National Park
20 March 2015 | Nelson, NZ
19 March 2015
19 March 2015
17 March 2015
16 March 2015
15 March 2015
14 March 2015
13 March 2015
12 March 2015
11 March 2015 | Tasman ea
10 March 2015 | Tasman Sea !

Cyclones, Tsunamis and Southerlies

15 January 2022
Simon Graves
A quick post to say all well on board. Amazingly we heard/felt the sonic boom of the Tongan earthquake while at anchor in the Marlborough Sounds yesterday… 1200 nm away. With all of the events in this blog title impacting the coastal waters of NZ, we won’t be heading anywhere fast. Currently tucked up in Snug Cove in hot sunshine and calm seas.

Boating life

12 January 2022
Barbara Graves | Overcast and cooler
A few days since I wrote up the blog. We had a lovely couple of days in Mistletoe Bay. We did a very hot walk to Lookout Point on the Queen Charlotte track. There were a few people walking and a few more cycling, but only 1 person carrying a pack. Maybe the others were day walkers like us, or taking advantage of the luggage transfer service from point to point. Some stunning views (see gallery). On Monday we headed into Waikawa Marina. It is a huge place (and getting huger - as another 250 berths are being constructed). We found our place and checked on. Facilities not nearly as nice as Picton, but we were grateful for a space. Having been told that the local marine services would be able to do the work, this turned out not to be the case. Simon took the heat exchanger off the engine and Rose kindly loaned us a car so we could take it to Radiator Services in Blenheim. Long story short, Tony managed to find the leak and fix it over a couple of days. Rose kindly left us the car and we also caught up on lots of other maintenance jobs. I did lots of internal painting, while Salty Simon did some serving of the rigging, replaced the leather on the bobstay, changed the oil in the engine and then reassembled it once we had picked up the heat exchanger. Hooray for Simon who has it running really well. The days were very hot and we were glad of a shower at the end of each day. Shopping and laundry completed the chores and we were ready to head out again.
Woke today to a strong South Easterly. Simon skilfully reversed the boat out of our spot and we were soon heading out into Queen Charlotte Sound. We had chosen to go to Casey Bay, which had a hand written note in or guide book that said that it was good holding in most winds. We arrived to find two yachts anchored on a lee shore and a screaming wind. We motored across to the other side of the bay and hoisted our double reefed mainsail and our staysail and headed back out. It was so gusty, a couple of gusts over 40knts, ripping the tops off the waves. Simon got a good soaking from the spray. A fast sail down Grove Arm and we are now happily at anchor with another few boats in Governor’s Bay. It was a busy morning with breakfast in stages! Winds in the South for the next few days and the remains of a cyclone currently up north to keep an eye on.
Remembering what living on board is about. A mix of chores and explores. We are loving the Sounds and glad to be back out of the marina.

Mistletoe Bay

07 January 2022 | Mistletoe Bay, Marlborough Sounds.
Barbara Graves | Warm and sunny
We left the Picton Marina early this morning in flat calm conditions. The berth was in demand and so we headed out and across to Mistletoe Bay. It was much quieter everywhere than when we arrived. Perhaps peak holiday season is over.
We did a heap of jobs off the to do list while alongside and enjoyed some more fish that Gerard dropped off. Thank you!
We have not yet been able to see an engineer about our minor issue yet and have booked into Waikawa Marina on Monday to see if someone is available.
Fortunately the boat is still useable and we are enjoying the opportunity to explore the Sounds. Mistletoe Bay was pretty empty as we motored in and dropped our anchor, allowing plenty of sea room (a long way out!). We tried out our new electric outboard for a trip ashore and it works perfectly. We had a really nice walk to Onahau Lookout off the Queen Charlotte Track and had stunning views of the surrounding area. Needless to say we had no camera with us, so you will just have to try and walk up there someday (or we’ll have to go again!). Years ago, we camped at Mistletoe Bay and it has changed a bit since then. There is now a little Eco Village as well as a much reduced campsite. Nowhere looked particularly busy and we commented on the small number of people we met on our walk.
Back on the boat for lunch, a snooze and some more boat jobs. We had a great swim, the water here is pretty warm and a good shower. Feeling very content with life.


06 January 2022
Simon Graves
Forecast gale southerly winds and an engine job to be done alongside, saw us coming into Picton Marina. It is so busy, with boats pouring out towards us as we headed down Queen Charlotte Sound. Waikawa Marine had no spaces, but we luckily found a space in Picton. We were heading in in a stream of boats and committed to heading into our allocated berth. A big launch was behind us, and we let him past, only to watch him motor into our berth in front of us! A very nifty bit of helming by Simonsaw us turn round and head back out as we were being advised of an alternative. Attempt two and a perfect coming alongside saw us tied up. Engineers are all really busy and we may have to wait until next week to get some help. It’s not a serious problem, but we want to get it sorted before we head away. We’ll spend a few days in the Sounds and then have a berth in Waikawa for a couple of nights early next week. Some friends kindly invited us for a BBQ, so we walked 40 mins over to Waikawa and had a lovely evening with Rose and Gerard and a few of their friends. We were glad of a lift back as it was 11.30.
The hot weather left overnight as a Southerly hit. Grey, cold and drizzly day today with jobs, shopping for things we’d forgotten to bring and a few visitors. Also caught up with Dick and Pat on ‘Irene’, a beautiful old boat that Dick built in the 1950s.
Fish and chips for dinner, but tucked down below due to the weather. Must be at least 15 degrees colder than yesterday!!

Marlborough Sounds

05 January 2022
Simon Graves | Hot and sunny
Having studied the time tables, we worked out the timing of our transit of French Pass. Te Aumiti/French Pass is "a narrow and treacherous stretch of water" between Rangitoto/ D'Urville Island and the South Island mainland. It has the fastest tidal flows in NZ, reaching 8 knots and according to sources, when the tide changes, the current can be strong enough to stun fish! We've been through many times before, each time a little different. We timed our arrival perfectly, however, this time, the tides were really huge and apparently changed direction a little later than described in the Almanac. We found ourselves battling to get through even showing 0 knts on the GPS for a moment or two, but popped through into Admiralty Bay.
Super hot day and mist swirling around the outer Sounds, Stephen's Island was wreathed in mist, as it had been last year when we circumnavigated Rangitoto. It was oily calm as we headed across the top of the sounds and very, very hot. The tide was with us and we had a very smooth passage around Cape Jackson, with only a few drop offs to navigate and then into Queen Charlotte Sound. Very typical Sounds winds led to sails up and down, changes of tack and not direction, all under the hot sun. There were more boats around than we have ever seen here and so ended up anchoring in Kaitapeha Bay just to the north of Tory Channel. There is a huge modern house at the head of the bay, but no one was there. We jumped overboard for a clean up (much colder than Onetahuti!) and then dinner in the cockpit again. Getting back into the swing of life on board.

Across Tasman Bay

04 January 2022 | Coppermine Bay, D’Urville Island
Simon Graves | Hot and sunny
A leisurely start to the day. Cooked breakfast, stow and sort and generally get ready for the day. Waiting for the sea breeze to kick in we headed off to D'Urville Island. Another stunner of a day and we motored for a couple of hours before sailing the rest of the way (about 5 hrs) in around 5-10 knots of wind. Our new headsail is well worth the investment and drove us on with ease.
Loving being back on the water. Not much in the way of wildlife to see however. One Mollymauk, a handful of little blue penguins, some fluttering shearwater and a few of my favourite bird, the gannet. We had two hitchhikers, a bumble bee for half an hour at the start and a bee for half an hour about 10nm from D'Urville Island. Both came, mooched around for a while and left, who knows where! Anchored at Coppermine Bay in the evening light. French Pass transit on the morning tide and then into the Marlborough Sounds.
Vessel Name: Tuarangi
Vessel Make/Model: William Atkins Ingrid
Hailing Port: Nelson
Crew: Simon and Barbara Graves
About: From Nelson. New Zealand and formerly the Isle of Muck.
Tuarangi's Photos - Main
Our trip to Stewart Island
15 Photos
Created 2 January 2022