The Next Adventure

03 February 2022
23 January 2022 | Goose winged between Separation Point and Tarakohe
22 January 2022 | Heading towards French Pass
19 January 2022
12 January 2022
07 January 2022 | Mistletoe Bay, Marlborough Sounds.
06 January 2022
05 January 2022
04 January 2022 | Coppermine Bay, D’Urville Island
03 January 2022 | En route to D’Urville Island
05 September 2021 | Golden Bay
08 April 2015 | Adele Island, Abe Tasman National Park
20 March 2015 | Nelson, NZ
19 March 2015
19 March 2015
17 March 2015
16 March 2015
15 March 2015
14 March 2015

Volcano

26 May 2014 | Tanna
Barbara
We are still at anchor in Tanna, enjoying the rhythms of island life. Bed around 8-9pm and up around 6am (Angus is going to love it!)
We are still spending time with the true meaning of cruising - ie boat maintenance in exotic locations - but have time to walk and explore and swim in the crystal clear waters.
Last night, we went on a trip to Mt Yasur volcano. The trip began with us and another couple, getting into our guide, Werry's ,4-wheel drive and heading off on, what can only be described as an off road experience, although, it was along a dirt road. We had been advised to wear tramping boots and long trousers, but no-one mentioned the need for a sports bra on the 45 minute drive up there. We drove through potholes, over large fields of lava, through villages, past cows and pigs and eventually arrived at a barren, dusty hillside, with smoke billowing from the top. As instructed by Werry, we walked to the high point above the volcano. It was very impressive, with  continuous bursts of lava and rocks, like large fireworks coming from the crater. Suddenly, there would be a flash of light and a deafening roar and one of the three vents would shoot rocks up to our level, probably 400m, with the ground shaking and the crater booming. The first few times it happened, it was heart stopping. It was totally mesmerising...you couldn't take your eyes off it, and yet it was one of the scariest things I have done! It was only at level 1-2. They stop doing tours at level 3 and evacuate the whole island at level 4, but it was certainly enough for us. The word 'awesome' is overused these days, but it is the only word I can think of that comes close to the whole experience. We watched the volcano until well after darkness fell ( it gets dark around 5.30pm) and then had the joys of reversing the 4 wheel drive trip, but in the dark this time! It was very surreal, as Werry treated us to some music - Kenny Rogers - Country and Western in the middle of a jungle,having been to a volcano. However, we were soon all singing 'The Gambler" and Simon even joined in to "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille". No further comment needed.
Today there is no wind. I'll do some laundry and SImon is working on the windlass switches and then we will go ashore and try and get to the marine reserve for a snorkel and spend some more time in the villages.
Tomorrow we will head for Erromango, where one of the things to look at is a rock where a missionary was laid out and drawn round before being eaten. In fact, there is a long history of cannibalism, so will have to try and look unappetising. Maybe I'll leave the laundry until after we've been there....
Comments
Vessel Name: Tuarangi
Vessel Make/Model: William Atkins Ingrid
Hailing Port: Nelson
Crew: Simon and Barbara Graves
About: From Nelson. New Zealand and formerly the Isle of Muck.
Tuarangi's Photos - Main
Our trip to Stewart Island
34 Photos
Created 2 January 2022