The Next Adventure

03 February 2022
23 January 2022 | Goose winged between Separation Point and Tarakohe
22 January 2022 | Heading towards French Pass
19 January 2022
12 January 2022
07 January 2022 | Mistletoe Bay, Marlborough Sounds.
06 January 2022
05 January 2022
04 January 2022 | Coppermine Bay, D’Urville Island
03 January 2022 | En route to D’Urville Island
05 September 2021 | Golden Bay
08 April 2015 | Adele Island, Abe Tasman National Park
20 March 2015 | Nelson, NZ
19 March 2015
19 March 2015
17 March 2015
16 March 2015
15 March 2015
14 March 2015

Yes,we have lots of bananas

29 May 2014 | Erromango, Vanuatu
Barbara & Simon

We are in a rolly but beautiful anchorage (definitely know you are on the boat!) called Ponamlas Bay at the north of Erromango. We arrived yesterday, setting off from Dillon's Bay in calm seas and coming screaming in here in 2 directional 2m swells with wind against tide...you never know what you are going to get next! We were actually beating for a little while and did our first tacks since leaving Nelson. The anchorage is small and there was a large motor catamaran anchored close to the shore. They were from New Caledonia and were over diving for crayfish and shooting flying foxes and pigeons! They left very early today and we are now very alone. We are laden with fruit that we were given by our guide, David, in Dillon's Bay, further south on Erromango and also by the chief of the village, William, who insisted on us taking a whole branch of bananas (about 60), which are ripening at the stern of the boat as we discovered a whole ecosytem living among them and we don't want an infestation! The fruit is all looking like it will be ripe tomorrow..2 large papayas, 3 naus (like a mango), all the bananas and a handful of oranges.
Arriving at most bays leads to dug out canoes immediately heading your way. Many of the crews are just interested to talk to you, but many want to trade or for you to give them things..like diesel or canned meat. One guy was after some fishing hooks as his had just been snatched by a large shark...not what I was keen to hear, having just had a swim! It is hard to know what to give and whether it is better to gift to the whole village or to an enterprising individual. We have yet to work that out..but as we are not carrying much in the way of extras, we are fairly limited in what we can give.
Later today we will leave on an overnight passage to the capital city, Port Vila. It will be a change to be in civilisation, but we could do with some water, laundry, an electrician and a meal or two ashore, so we are looking forward to it. Next blog from the bright lights!
Comments
Vessel Name: Tuarangi
Vessel Make/Model: William Atkins Ingrid
Hailing Port: Nelson
Crew: Simon and Barbara Graves
About: From Nelson. New Zealand and formerly the Isle of Muck.
Tuarangi's Photos - Main
Our trip to Stewart Island
34 Photos
Created 2 January 2022