The Next Adventure

03 February 2022
23 January 2022 | Goose winged between Separation Point and Tarakohe
22 January 2022 | Heading towards French Pass
19 January 2022
12 January 2022
07 January 2022 | Mistletoe Bay, Marlborough Sounds.
06 January 2022
05 January 2022
04 January 2022 | Coppermine Bay, D’Urville Island
03 January 2022 | En route to D’Urville Island
05 September 2021 | Golden Bay
08 April 2015 | Adele Island, Abe Tasman National Park
20 March 2015 | Nelson, NZ
19 March 2015
19 March 2015
17 March 2015
16 March 2015
15 March 2015
14 March 2015

All cleared in!

01 October 2014 | Bundaberg, Australia
Barbara, The bluest of blue skies
Safely arrived in Bundaberg yesterday late afternoon after a pretty good passage. Have been thinking a lot about the whole experience of passaging and will post some thoughts later for those who are interested. As advised by Australian Customs,we spent the night at anchor just next to the Marina. Coming into Hervey Bay was fantastic, although there was no wind. It was a clear blue-sky day and we saw 7 humpback whales (OK, seven sightings, some of them may be repeats, but I'm not too hot on whale identification). Some of them were slapping their massive fins, others swimming around and a couple breeching over and over again. The wind picked up enough for us to arrive up the river at 5 knts under full sail. We both were still rocking for a while after we stopped, but enjoyed a sundowner and leftovers before a very early night. This morning, we came alongside the quarantine berth. A customs official and a quarantine officer came on board and spent well over an hour with us. There was a lot of paper work to do and the quarantine officer carried out an extremely thorough search of the boat - every locker and nook and cranny...and on an old boat like Tuarangi, there are lots of them. However, taking my popcorn, dried beans and a forgotten lime in the fridge, as well as all our rubbish, we received the necessary clearance to drop our "Q" flag and go ashore. It is 32 degrees here today, so were happy to spend time in the air-conditioned marina office, booking in. It is a great set up, with showers, laundry, café, fish and chip shop and a fish wholesaler with an outlet shop. They do special packages of prawns, crab, Morton Bay bugs and smoked fish for $30...so that's dinner sorted! Did a load of laundry, now drying in the gale force winds that have come up and walked to the local supermarket/post office/bakery for supplies. Stopped at a Sports Fishing Club for a bite of lunch - $10 for a burger and chips. Gotta love the first day ashore! Got sim cards for our phones and are all sorted now. Tomorrow we take the free courtesy bus into Bundaberg town and have been told to do the tour of the Bundaberg Rum Distillery....tough job, I know, but I am guessing we'll make it!
Off for a hot shower now and then the sun wil start dropping and the duty free gin will come out at ten to six.
Will post some thoughts on passaging over the next couple of days.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tuarangi
Vessel Make/Model: William Atkins Ingrid
Hailing Port: Nelson
Crew: Simon and Barbara Graves
About: From Nelson. New Zealand and formerly the Isle of Muck.
Tuarangi's Photos - Main
Our trip to Stewart Island
34 Photos
Created 2 January 2022