Tuatara

Alan and Jean sharing our cruising news with friends, family.

20 July 2015 | Rabi Island Fiji
29 June 2015 | Suva Fiji
18 December 2013 | Auckland
05 December 2013 | Auckland
27 October 2013 | Vavau Tonga
12 September 2013 | Samoa
24 July 2013 | Moorea, Tahiti
19 July 2013 | Papeete
19 June 2013 | Nuka Hiva
02 June 2013 | Pacific Ocean
29 May 2013 | Pacific Ocean
24 May 2013 | Eastern Pacific Ocean
19 May 2013 | Western Pacific Ocean
16 May 2013 | Western Pacific Ocean
13 May 2013 | Isla Isabella
06 May 2013 | Isla Isabella
08 April 2013 | Shelter Bay marina, Colon.
28 March 2013 | Belize
27 March 2013 | Belize
03 March 2013 | Panamarina, Panama

Borneo Race week

23 October 2009 | Kota Kinabalu
Jean
Borneo Race week

Photo of Uteikah III from Australia and in distance Pateke from NZ during Labuan to KK race.

Borneo race week , fun, friendly and frustrating. After slamming into south westerlies to get to Miri from Kota Kinabalu (KK) the wind changed to light north easterlies, head winds all the way back to KK. There were 5 divisions, IRC the multi crewed racers, multi hulls, Cruiser racers and 2 cruising divisions. We were in the cruiser racer division and although as with the other cruising divisions we could use our motor, we were competing with yachts half our weight who didn't need to motor in the light head winds. All were penalised for the amount of time motored. The 25knot winds of the previous week had deserted us so we motored 9 hours on the first 105 mile race just to finish within the 26 hour time limit. We managed to limit our motoring to just less than 2 hours on the 65 mile race, Labuan to Kota Kinabalu. The round the buoys racing in KK was a nice jaunt in the sun for us, in light winds, at the tail end of our division. Alan got his thrills on the starts and we managed to be competitive across the start line but it was down hill from there. In spite of our results we had fun and enjoyed the perks of racing in the Borneo Cup race week. For cruising yachts in this part of Borneo the race week is a must do, next year they hope to have Brunei included in the racing programme which will add to the enjoyment of the week.


The night we arrived in Miri we were pleased to be snugly tied to the marina as the wind howled through the marina peaking at 48 knots. The wind was making the most of its last appearance before it disappeared over the horizon for a weeks holiday, just when we needed it. Still the nights in 5 star luxury hotels here in KK and Miri along with the sumptuous dinners, free marina berths , tours and socialising with old and new friends more than made up for the racing frustrations. The 1000MYR($NZ430) payment to each competing yacht also helped ease the racing frustrations. We did have a free night on the marina at Labuan but that was at our own risk. The marina there is in the process of breaking up. 30 million MYR spent on a poorly designed marina which in less than 4 years is self destructing. Some patching up is being done but the real problem of no flexi joints combined with wash from ferries and other boats is not being addressed. The modern marina building has never been used. Such a waste of money. There are many Malaysians here who want to develop the marine industry but do not seem to consult good experts. The marina at Miri is good once you can find the entrance, don't come at night there are no lights, leading marks or beacons of any sort on the entry sea walls. We had been warned about the depth in the inner channel so when our depth alarm beeped for 30metres or so we weren't too worried. The day we arrived the wind was pushing waves onto the sea wall, all we could see was white water, no break in the sea wall. We radioed up our friend Tom on Matariki, ( no marina office), " Where do we get into this marina?" . The beach seemed only metres away. .."See the big sea horse statue on the sea wall, head for that , you will see the entrance, turn sharply to port and you will be inside the wall." We followed the instructions and suddenly we were in calm water.

The marina here at Sutera harbour in KK is a different matter altogether, well built, marked and run. Best of all it is part of a 5 star resort whose facilities we have been enjoying for a week or so. As part of the race incentives we enjoyed 2 nights in the Sutera Pacific Hotel. Air conditioning heaven. The final prize giving was held on the covered tennis courts which had been transformed into a glamorous dining room for the event. Going from a 5 star hotel room to the prize giving in our glad rags , squeaky clean from long hot showers, up to date with BBC world news, rested after an afternoon snooze on a large soft bed we thought, just for a minute or two that we could get used to this life. But no chance it was back to the boat the next morning.

Over the next few days the cruising boats gradually sailed off, some towards the Philippines, others towards Singapore and Thailand. We have a few boat jobs to do and then we will be following the ones towards Singapore. On the third attempt we finally found our parcel containing our water pump at the Post office. On that visit to the PO we traipsed up and down stairs, through back rooms until we arrived at a parcel room where we found someone who, after a proper look came back with our parcel. So that will be put in place now that Alan has recovered from a 3 day virus and we have had a day off being tossed about on a Borneo river( see next post). The anchor chain has been regalvanised and is back looking very shiny in the anchor locker. The SW winds are starting to be less dominant as the season changes so its nearly time to visit the market and provision for the 750 mile hop across the South China sea to the Singapore strait.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tuatara
Vessel Make/Model: Alan Wright 51
Hailing Port: Opua NZ
Crew: Alan and Jean Ward

Sailing in the Pacific

Who: Alan and Jean Ward
Port: Opua NZ