Tuatara

Alan and Jean sharing our cruising news with friends, family.

20 July 2015 | Rabi Island Fiji
29 June 2015 | Suva Fiji
18 December 2013 | Auckland
05 December 2013 | Auckland
27 October 2013 | Vavau Tonga
12 September 2013 | Samoa
24 July 2013 | Moorea, Tahiti
19 July 2013 | Papeete
19 June 2013 | Nuka Hiva
02 June 2013 | Pacific Ocean
29 May 2013 | Pacific Ocean
24 May 2013 | Eastern Pacific Ocean
19 May 2013 | Western Pacific Ocean
16 May 2013 | Western Pacific Ocean
13 May 2013 | Isla Isabella
06 May 2013 | Isla Isabella
08 April 2013 | Shelter Bay marina, Colon.
28 March 2013 | Belize
27 March 2013 | Belize
03 March 2013 | Panamarina, Panama

Windless days

08 January 2010 | Bay of Bengal
Jean
9th January 2010 7 deg 28 N 92 deg 38 E When I was at primary school I imagined that in 2010 we would be living some space age science fiction type of life. Zapping around in flying space craft just like the Jetsons. I certainly didnt think that I would be sailing across the Indian Ocean just as thousands of craft over the years have done before us. To be truthful we are not actually sailing at the moment there is no wind so we are motoring. Thank goodness we don't have to solely rely on sail power as the trading dhows from Africa and India did as they traded spices around the rim of the Indian Ocean. We may not be jet propelled like the Jetson Family but we do have a lot of technology to help us along the way that had not been invented when we thought black and white TV was the best thing since sliced bread, that is if our parents let us watch it! The other thing is it's great to be here at the start of 2010 as way back when we all thought the world would probably have ended before we got here. This morning I leaned over our bow and watched dolphin water ballet. A dolphin welcome to the Bay of Bengal, such a welcome is always a good omen. They need no fancy computer technology to find us and to swim under, in front of and beside our bow without crashing into each other or Tuatara. As they swam past they turned slightly and to look up at the boat maybe even at me with my camera. Perhaps they wanted their best side photographed. Whenever dolphins come to surf along our bow wave they don't just go straight to the bow, one or two make sure they swim along side and get our attention first, a splash, a loud breath grabs our attention then off to the bow. I swear I can see the smiles on their faces. Today there was quite a group but after about 10 minutes or so most had gone on their way leaving two lagging behind to enjoy the bow wave by themselves until they too disappeared into the deep blue.

We came through the Sombrero Channel in the early hours of this morning hoping for wind when got past the Nicobar Islands but no such luck, we are still motoring and the forecast is for light winds. Yachts that left a few days before us have been enjoying reasonable sailing but those near us are suffering with the lack of wind as we are. Luckily Tuatara has ample diesel tanks. Later today we are going to try and rendezvous with a small Catamaran with outboard motors and give him our petrol, only 25 litres but he is grateful for that, still another few days of this before we get to Galle. At the moment I think Wolfgang would like some of that Space age rocket fuel for his Cat.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tuatara
Vessel Make/Model: Alan Wright 51
Hailing Port: Opua NZ
Crew: Alan and Jean Ward

Sailing in the Pacific

Who: Alan and Jean Ward
Port: Opua NZ