Tuatara

Alan and Jean sharing our cruising news with friends, family.

20 July 2015 | Rabi Island Fiji
29 June 2015 | Suva Fiji
18 December 2013 | Auckland
05 December 2013 | Auckland
27 October 2013 | Vavau Tonga
12 September 2013 | Samoa
24 July 2013 | Moorea, Tahiti
19 July 2013 | Papeete
19 June 2013 | Nuka Hiva
02 June 2013 | Pacific Ocean
29 May 2013 | Pacific Ocean
24 May 2013 | Eastern Pacific Ocean
19 May 2013 | Western Pacific Ocean
16 May 2013 | Western Pacific Ocean
13 May 2013 | Isla Isabella
06 May 2013 | Isla Isabella
08 April 2013 | Shelter Bay marina, Colon.
28 March 2013 | Belize
27 March 2013 | Belize
03 March 2013 | Panamarina, Panama

Yippes its cold!!

28 October 2010 | Sofia, Bulgaria
a cold Jean
The golden domes of the Alexander Nevsky cathedral against the snow filled clouds

28th October
Sofia, Bulgaria.



Snowing! Little flakes melting before they hit the ground, the first snow of the winter, on the first day we are here. Shorts and tee shirts one day, wooly hats, gloves and scarves the next! A bit of a shock to the system. Bulgarian souvenir...2 pairs of warm leather gloves bought as the snow floated down.

We have had a walk around the old part of Sofia today and saw old churches, a small flea market selling antiques and souvenirs. The stall owners warmly dressed under their plastic covered outdoor stalls, I wonder how much longer they brave the weather before they pack up for the winter. The stalls have a mixture of old jewelry, religious icons old and new and relics of the Communist era for sale.

We like the cost of food and coffee here especially as the cold makes you hungry. Bulgarians apparently love pizza, a huge slice costs about 2 leva , just a little less than $NZ2. The piece I had for lunch had slices of lovely tasting bacon. We are off shortly to find dinner. Alan hopes to find a Bulgarian specialty, Shkembe Chorba a creamy soup made with tripe. I think I will settle for Bob Chorba... bean soup.

There is not a lot to see in Sofia so we are off to Plovdiv tomorrow. Plovdiv is Bulgaria's second city.
Sofia Guesthouse where we are staying is very nice and is well situated, within walking distance of most places worth visiting and nice people.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tuatara
Vessel Make/Model: Alan Wright 51
Hailing Port: Opua NZ
Crew: Alan and Jean Ward

Sailing in the Pacific

Who: Alan and Jean Ward
Port: Opua NZ