Tuatara

Alan and Jean sharing our cruising news with friends, family.

20 July 2015 | Rabi Island Fiji
29 June 2015 | Suva Fiji
18 December 2013 | Auckland
05 December 2013 | Auckland
27 October 2013 | Vavau Tonga
12 September 2013 | Samoa
24 July 2013 | Moorea, Tahiti
19 July 2013 | Papeete
19 June 2013 | Nuka Hiva
02 June 2013 | Pacific Ocean
29 May 2013 | Pacific Ocean
24 May 2013 | Eastern Pacific Ocean
19 May 2013 | Western Pacific Ocean
16 May 2013 | Western Pacific Ocean
13 May 2013 | Isla Isabella
06 May 2013 | Isla Isabella
08 April 2013 | Shelter Bay marina, Colon.
28 March 2013 | Belize
27 March 2013 | Belize
03 March 2013 | Panamarina, Panama

Half way to Australia

14 June 2007 | Townsville
Jean
Half way to Gladstone.

Halfway to Australia today was celebrated sitting in the sun eating hot fresh scones for lunch. An hour later the celebratory mood was dampened by a short heavy rain shower,the first rain of the voyage so far.
Talitha with her crew of Alan, Jean and Dave left Auckland last Thursday morning. Motoring down the windless harbour we passed a solo sailor returning to Auckland, last port Chile. The City of Sails put on a picture post card welcome home for him. Not many sails out though, just the two yachts in Rangitoto channel, beginning and ending their respective voyages.
We sailed and motored our way North, past Kawau Is where we caught a fat kahawhai for our dinner then slowly on through the night towards Cape Brett. The 0 to 15 knot wind range meant we did not meet our target of Cape Brett before breakfast. Just before the Cape a Customs plane circled us, calling us to confirm our details and destination. Motoring between Cape Brett and Piercy Island we watched a helicopter transfer large bundles of equipment from the lighthouse to a waiting Opua car ferry, having a day off from its usual Opua to Russell run. Our progress continued to be slow, using precious diesel as we motored north.The afternoon sun was pouring a golden glow onto the seaward cliffs of the Cavalli Islands when the Custom plane appeared again, another fly past observation. They had probably flown to North Cape and back in the time we had gone 20 miles! We decided to speed up other wise they would see us again tomorrow on their patrol north.
Off Doubtless Bay, just as dinner was finished, the wind filled in and in the morning there was no land to be seen. At sea at last.
Away from the protection of land the SW swell became a bit lumpy. All the crew felt a little discomfit, Jean's stomach took the longest to settle. Several times she was worried that she would not be able to say again that she had never been physically sea sick. The prepared meals came in handy, easy to heat in a moving galley. Fortunately the sea state settled into a comfortable metre swell, and our bodies have adjusted, appetites have returned quickly after a couple of days of light meals.
We have all enjoyed watching the sea birds soar and glide over the waves. There have not been many birds in the last 2 days but while still in the vicinity of North Cape and Three Kings we saw many different types. The smaller birds would come close for a look, finding the turbulence from the sails upset their flight they would flutter madly to regain gliding composure before disappearing over the waves. Our seabirds book has helped us identify some of the birds in particular the dark brown petrel as the Kermedec petrel(we think). There have been several varieties of Albatross, they keep their distance, keeping their mind on their own journey they soar and glide up, over or along the waves. Their long wings, skimming the crests, never faltering.
The days have now settled into a routine of sleeping , eating, doing watches, reading, and talking about nothing in particular. Alan and Dave are especially good at the last one. Dave also gets out the video camera from time to time, thanks Trev. We will wait till we see the finished product before we mean that thanks in the nicest possible way!!
The weather has been kind to us , a little more wind at times would be nice. We keep reminding ourselves to be careful what we wish for while sailing the Tasman or is it the Coral sea now, neither are to be taken lightly.
We have been sailing using a combination of hand steering and wind vane steering. Mindful of the distance to Gladstone,1500miles, (750 to go) we have been trying to sail as efficiently as possible. Alan and Dave enjoy steering, competing on distance and speed. Yesterday was spent with the genoa poled out, Talitha flying along making good miles and providing good competition for the men. Jean prefers the wind vane on so she can read, write, cook or snooze!
27.43S 162.06E



Comments
Vessel Name: Tuatara
Vessel Make/Model: Alan Wright 51
Hailing Port: Opua NZ
Crew: Alan and Jean Ward

Sailing in the Pacific

Who: Alan and Jean Ward
Port: Opua NZ