Tumultuous Uproar

A cruising boat with a racing problem...

16 April 2024
09 March 2024
29 February 2024
29 February 2024 | Anse Cochon, St. Lucia
22 February 2024
03 February 2024
31 January 2024
21 January 2024
21 January 2024
28 December 2023
04 December 2023
27 November 2023
27 October 2023
27 September 2023
30 May 2023

We have been out there one year!

16 July 2016
It has been over a year since we left Milwaukee. Believe me, I'm having a hard time with what to write. That is, how do I limit what I have to say about this year to one blog post. I won't. I'll write about the different aspects of our year in several blog posts.

This one will be about the overwhelming experience. This year has been the most wonderfully intense years of my life. All senses are soaking up the environment in a way more vivid than ever before. Perhaps moving at the speed of a lawn tractor (OK, Uproar being a race boat does about 1 1/2 lawn tractors) gives one time to experience everything. And the experiences have been great.

First and foremost, I have to thank Lisa. If she had not shared my dream we never would have begun. Not only the dream but casting off the dock lines requires some difficult steps, one-at-a-time. We agree the most difficult part of our cruise was the two weeks leading up to departure.

Most readers know of the beautiful scenery, water and delights of the tropical islands. Pictures in magazines are real and we have sure enjoyed being here. The experience would be just a two dimensional albeit beautiful picture if it wasn't for the people we have met along the way.

We have been in Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou for just one week. Last night we went to a birthday party for JoAnn, one of the Aussie cruisers in the bay. They arranged for a local bar/restaurant to serve BBQ chicken for $4 and everyone bring a dish to pass. There were 40 people there and we knew them all after having been here only one week!

We know some of the locals too. Denise, who has a fruit and veg shack, gives us advice on how to prepare locally grown produce, gives us samples and always waves to us when we walk by. There is a scheduled power outage today and she is having a beach BBQ, fish, chicken and all the sides for only $6. She invited us to stop in for lunch, we will!

Shep has been building a small, Pea Pod rowboat and sailboat. He sat at our table for dinner Monday and invited us to the launching ceremony tomorrow with music, etc. I visited Shep in his shop (a little Dr. Seuss?) yesterday and watched him apply the last coat of varnish. The boat is as perfect as a Christmas ornament.

I read in a book written by other cruisers to always take people at face value, that their intentions are good. I have done this and have not been disappointed. Sure, we have met people like Parrot who is always trying to make money off cruisers but they bear no malice. We know we are charged more than locals at some places and do not continue to do business with them.

A quick summary of our year:

6 weeks in the North Channel and Georgian Bay, Lake Huron. Still a favorite cruising ground

3 weeks in the Thousand Islands, St Lawrence River. This is a fairy tale area and would make a great visit by land.

16 days on the Erie Canal. Wish I could sing it here. Historic, interesting.

2 weeks Hudson River and NYC. What's not to like with the cheapest room and board in NYC.

6 weeks in the Chesapeake. Historic, beautiful and shallow! Loved the museums and wooden boat festivals.

4 months in the Bahamas. We love the Bahamas and even enjoyed the 4 weeks in a condo while repairing the damaged Uproar.

3 months in the Caribbean. Not nearly enough! We are slowing down now and really enjoying the Grenada islands. We will be here until November and will enjoy hanging out with cruising friends.

Next year, who knows? We may spend a very slow moving year in the Caribbean or head to the South Pacific.

We especially appreciate those who have come to visit us. We miss family and friends! It is so special when they can come to sail with us.

Yes, there have been some difficult times. The flooding on the way to Atlantic City and flooding going into the Abacos, requiring 4 weeks of repairs. We have had some rough passages but nothing that would make us even consider returning to life as a dirt dweller.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tumultuous Uproar
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 42s7
Hailing Port: Milwaukee, WI
Crew: Popeye (Russ Whitford)
Social:
Tumultuous Uproar's Photos - Main
45 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
68 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
61 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
24 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
53 Photos
Created 7 March 2016
No Photos
Created 7 March 2016
4 Photos
Created 28 August 2015
2 Photos
Created 21 August 2015
Uproar FULL ON in the North Channel! Picture by Rick Pask.
1 Photo
Created 21 August 2015
40 Photos
Created 21 August 2015
8/15/15
29 Photos
Created 21 August 2015
9 Photos
Created 21 August 2015