East Coast Adventure and Return of the Tweener

Headed South Little River Inlet, SC

Little River Inlet

April 4, 2021
Left our anchorage at first lightheaded out the Little River Inlet. The forecast calls for warmer weather, sunshine, and light winds from the SW. No problem getting out the cut. Very well marked. Numerous commercial fishing vessels as well as small fishing boats headed out. The commercial vessels were packed full of people in spite of the corona virus. I suppose stimulus checks are changing hands!
We made it to the outer markers of the channel and turned south. The seas were rough, and we originally thought it was due to the inlet. Our speed dropped to under 2 knots, and we were being wallowed in the surf as the seas were against us. At this rate it would take us 2 days to go the 40 miles to Winyah Bay. Change of plans! Back through the Little River Inlet and headed down the ICW, the ditch.
Motored through Myrtle Beach avoiding the numerous boats in the narrow channel. Sunshine and Easter have obviously brought families out to enjoy the day. Condos, houses, and golf courses lined the waterway. Rock piles like no other place along the ICW line the edges of the water and signs warn boaters of the hazard.
Since we're having to go the ICW vs Atlantic it has increased the miles we have to go to reach Charleston for our reservation Tuesday. Unfortunately, the current was against us for most of the day slowing our progress to under 4 knots. Planning on a late day with our goal to reach mile marker 395.
Our speed increased late afternoon and we raced the sunset to our anchorage. We dropped the anchor at 1945. It caught on the first attempt. Sunset 1935 with last light 2004.


Comments