East Coast Adventure and Return of the Tweener

Headed South Ft. Lauderdale

Sunrise Bay-Las Olas Marina, Ft Lauderdale
June 5, 2021

Thank goodness, only one bridge opening and 1.5 miles before we reach the marina. We have been up every night between 0200-0300 closing-up because of overnight rain. After closing-up it gets hot and stuffy which also makes sleep uncomfortable. We are ready for AC!

We approached the Las Olas Marina with calm sea and wind. As usually happens when you start to dock, the wind picked up and we were in tight quarters. Charles had changed out the prop on the boat and is still getting used to the way the boat handles. The marina is obviously better set up to handle larger boats. We tied ourselves off in the slip that had large concrete poles between slips. The slips were full length which was the only saving grace. As usual Charles went into his mode of barking out multiple instructions when things start turning to poop...." fend us off the stern, hand me another line, get the power cord out and hand it to me" .... and which of these do you want first? I suggested he learn to prioritize.... but the worst problem was now we were in a slip that appeared to be a prison wall and I certainly couldn't breach it! I have not been able to get my legs up that high in 30 years. Charles being ever mindful fixed me a repelling line, I kid you not!

Anyway, we are right on the beach. Free trolley, free water taxi. Decent shower and laundry facility, even if you must walk a half mile. Restaurants nearby.

Afternoon walk to the beach and I felt I was in a foreign country. Sidewalks dirty and the beach crowded. The restaurants were packed, and it seemed everyone was drinking biggie sized, frozen concoctions. We decided we would try the beach on Monday, hoping for less crowding. We are either getting old or we're used to our isolation on our hill.


Comments