East Coast Adventure and Return of the Tweener

Headed West Bahia Honda

Long Key Bight-Bahia Honda
June 13, 2021

We assumed we would be the first to depart the anchorage but sat drinking coffee as three boats left before us. All the departing boats had dive gear on them with many people aboard so we assumed it might be Sea Scouts on a weekend dive trip. We had heard the mooring balls around the snorkeling and dive reefs fill up early, especially on the weekends.

We headed west toward Bahia Honda. We had been there about 25 years earlier on a sailing charter. The winds today were 12-15mph SW. Seas started out calm. As the day progressed the wind got stronger, and the seas got heavier. I questioned Charles on what the sea state had been projected to be, ½ ft…. obviously, a male forecaster! The weather and seas interfered with our progress but what slowed us down further was the sargassum seaweed. It kept occluding the water intake and getting wrapped on the prop. We could tell because the boat speed dropped, and the engine started heating up. Charles would stop the boat then back up. We go along better for awhile then have to repeat the process. Slow going!

By the time we made our turn into the Bahia Honda Channel, we were being rocked pretty good. We followed a catamaran through the broken span in the old bridge. Much calmer waters in the park. What a difference 25 years make. There is a dock with power, water. Ice is available. There is a concession for the beach. There are cabins, bike trails, walking trails. Very nice facility.

We anchored near the beach in 6 ft of water. The current is strong through the area, but the water was clear and the bottom was free of grass with good holding. Went for an evening swim and Charles checked the intake and prop. Both were clear of grass.


Comments