East Coast Adventure and Return of the Tweener

Headed West Newfound Harbor

Bahia Honda-Newfound Harbor
June 14, 2021

Left Bahia Honda about 0830 thinking we were going to have settled weather. We had a couple of overnight rains with outflow wind from thunderstorms. It was a little rough getting out of the channel, but this was expected. We kept hoping once we were out of the shallows the wave action would settle down. Not to be.

After wallowing around in the rollers, making 2mph and consuming to much fuel, Charles decided to go out further and angle back to our destination so we could put out the sail to help get our speed up. This helped but it was still rough, so we chose another anchorage after we spent 3 hours and had made 5 miles. I could still see Bahia Honda.

We took the channel into Big Pine Key. It was a trip down memory lane for us as we passed Little Palm Island, an exclusive private resort that we had visited on our previous trip 25 years ago. Again, it was not what we remembered. Either old brain or Hurricane Irma in 2018 had caused it to be rebuilt.

Our original plan was to drop an anchor for a short stop, maybe a couple of hours, and let the wind die down as predicted. After our snack, Charles to begin to check the weather and it looks like a fairly significant storm will be passing over us later this afternoon. We moved the boat to Newfound Harbor to get what protection we could from Munson Island. As predicted, the rain and winds started about 1830 with the heaviest part of the storm to the west. Why can't the weather service predict fair weather as accurately as foul??? The second round came about an hour later with strong winds but no rain.

We watched the water taxi from the Little Palm Resort pass back and forth several times during the evening. We started guessing what a night’ stay at Little Palm would cost so we started reading the description of amenities and select services. Unbelievable…. definitely not in our budget!


Comments