Two If By Sea

22 April 2017 | Burnt Store Marina
20 April 2017 | Pelican Bay
13 April 2017 | Charlotte Harbor, Florida
08 April 2017 | Burnt Store Marina
05 April 2017 | Charlotte Harbor
03 April 2017 | Cape Haze
02 April 2017 | Cape Haze
01 April 2017 | Cape Haze
30 March 2017 | Burnt Store Marina
09 March 2017 | Cape Haze
07 March 2017
06 March 2017 | Cape Haze
04 March 2017
01 March 2017 | Burnt Store Marina
26 February 2017 | Burnt Store Marina
23 February 2017 | Burnt Store Marina
28 April 2016 | Pelican Bay
25 April 2016 | Cape Haze Anchorage
24 April 2016 | Cape Haze Anchorage

Time To Cruise

23 February 2017 | Burnt Store Marina
(Two If By Sea With Solar Panels)

At this time of the year, as in the past, we begin to consider our cruising options. A couple of years ago, Patty and I decided to remain boating on the West Coast of Florida, where we prefer the anchorages and sailing waters over what we have experienced along the East Coast and in the Keys. This is not to say we didn't enjoy our experiences in those waters. It just means that we enjoy more what our local waters have to offer.

As most boaters do during the off season, we consider and attend to any repairs needed and any improvements we would like to do on Two If By Sea. Fortunately, we only had to address two repairs. First, we replaced the bilge pump. When checking on the boat one morning, I noticed the bilge pump was running with no water in the bilge. It had developed a short and would not shut off--an easy and inexpensive repair. Secondly, I decided to replace and relocate the fresh water pump. It would cycle and attempt to pressurize the system continuously. It also did not have a screen/filter on the intake side of the pump. Therefore, I replaced the pump, moved it to a different location to provide easier access, and added a filter in the system.

As for improvements, we have considered for a number of years adding solar panels to charge our house bank and, hopefully, eliminate the need to run the Honda generator during extended outings. Until recently, to add solar panels required using a stainless structure over the bimini to support the panels. Technology has improved to the extent that there are now available semi-flexible, lighter weight panels that can be mounted on the bimini and which can generate the amount of power needed to run a boat. This fall, we installed two 95-watt Geioco panels on our bimini using industrial strength Velcro. I wired the panels separately, using two MPPT controllers. This would allow one panel to charge at full strength if the output on the other panel was impacted by shading. Because of the time of the year, the short days and elevation of the sun, we have not fully tested the installation. As a minimum, the panels will allow us to remain at an anchorage four to five days without the need to run the Honda. Otherwise, we would have been required to start using the Honda after two days.

Patty's sister arrives Tuesday and we plan on leaving Wednesday for about ten days. Weather permitting, we plan on heading to St. Pete via Cape Haze, Sarasota and the Manatee River. We attempted this route with her last year but were forced to abandon going north of Sarasota due to weather. This yea;r, the extended forecast is more favorable. We are optimistic.
Comments
Vessel Name: Two If By Sea
Vessel Make/Model: 1998 Catalina 36 Mk II
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, Florida
Crew: Patty and David Power
About:
Patty and David moved to Palmetto, Florida from Colorado in 2002. [...]

Who: Patty and David Power
Port: Punta Gorda, Florida