Last Chance ... A Two Year Journey

Leaving the Great Lakes for a Caribbean/Pacific adventure

26 June 2020 | Beaver Island
24 June 2020 | Mackinac Island
21 June 2020 | Off Racine
02 May 2020 | Larsen Marine
17 August 2019 | Half way across the lake and back
20 July 2019 | Sturgeon Bay, WI
15 July 2019 | Start of Hook Race off Racine, Wi
24 June 2019 | Mackinac Island
16 June 2019 | Waukegan Harbor
30 May 2019 | Somewhere off Waukegan
29 April 2019 | Waukegan, IL
14 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
12 February 2019 | Great Galliot Cay
11 February 2019 | Sampson Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
09 February 2019 | Big Majors Spot
08 February 2019 | Near Midway Airport, Chicago
01 January 2019 | Larsen Marine
19 November 2018 | Hanover Park, IL

The dogs claim their Island

01 February 2018 | South Bimini and Dog Island at North Bimini
Sunny - 70’s
We ended the day yesterday by getting takeout at Sam’s barbecue, which is a simple shack by the waterway. The grill and seating are outside under the trees. We ended up with quite a spread, as we each shared in the five dishes. Before that, I buckled down and finally ran my new deck wash wire and got it connected to the DC panel switch. I verified the switch does deliver 12 volts, but the deck wash was still dead. On to the next step.

Today we took two dinghies over to South Bimini and the Bimini Sands Marina and Resort. The harbor and resort are very nice with floating docks and fuel. I think a west wind is unusual, but that wind direction is bad for the harbor - the channel goes straight west into the ocean. Unlike North Bimini, where we are, there is little development near the resort. Our primary goal was to walk the nature path. We found it and it was a great way to learn about plant and animal life on the Bimini Islands. From there we walked on until we found the shark lab and ran into the ocean again. We spent 2-3 hours walking. Time for lunch.

After lunch, we found a newly arrived boat from Florida. It was Canadian and Keith felt they had run into that boat earlier in their travels. We talked to the person on board. When you check into a country, one person checks into customs. All other crew must remain on the boat until customs has been cleared. The boat flies a yellow “Q” flag during this time. Boats are moving now and coming across the Gulf Stream. Our resort is noticeably busier.

When we got back to the boats, Keith and Lyn grabbed their three small dogs and we were off to the nearby sandbar - it was low tide and the sandbar was now dry. The life on a tidal sandbar is interesting, with live conch, crabs and other various sea creatures and plant life, and the dogs loved running around, especially in puddles. After awhile, they had no fear and lost all discipline, so we couldn’t get them to come back. They found their way to the nearby island with trees and claimed it for themselves - we now know it as Dog Island. At high tide, the sandbar is underwater and it is a real island surrounded by water. But back to the rambunctious dogs ... to restore order, Roger and Keith had to traipse through the field of water grass out to the island to try to corral the dogs. At first, things were not going well for the humans. Finally, they were each able to grab one dog and carried them off. The third dog then also capitulated and followed meekly behind, and order was restored. The insurrection having been squelched, the dogs returned to their former mild mannered and obedient selves and jumped in the dinghy, ready to go home and plot their next takeover adventure.

At our cocktail hour, the boat we had met earlier joined us and told us of their previous journeys - this was not their first crossing and Bahamas trip.
Comments
Vessel Name: Last Chance
Vessel Make/Model: Islander 36 (1979)
Hailing Port: Waukegan, Illinois
Last Chance's Photos - Main
21 Photos
Created 1 February 2019
3 Photos
Created 22 July 2018
18 Photos
Created 8 April 2018
31 Photos
Created 22 January 2018
Traveling down the Chesapeake and the East Coast
53 Photos
Created 11 September 2017
Erie Canal and Hudson River
33 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
Great Lakes part of the journey.
45 Photos
Created 15 July 2017
Boat prep and races prior to departure
12 Photos
Created 14 June 2017