Last Chance ... A Two Year Journey

Leaving the Great Lakes for a Caribbean/Pacific adventure

26 June 2020 | Beaver Island
24 June 2020 | Mackinac Island
21 June 2020 | Off Racine
02 May 2020 | Larsen Marine
17 August 2019 | Half way across the lake and back
20 July 2019 | Sturgeon Bay, WI
15 July 2019 | Start of Hook Race off Racine, Wi
24 June 2019 | Mackinac Island
16 June 2019 | Waukegan Harbor
30 May 2019 | Somewhere off Waukegan
29 April 2019 | Waukegan, IL
14 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
12 February 2019 | Great Galliot Cay
11 February 2019 | Sampson Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
09 February 2019 | Big Majors Spot
08 February 2019 | Near Midway Airport, Chicago
01 January 2019 | Larsen Marine
19 November 2018 | Hanover Park, IL

Finding buried treasure ... well, my anchor anyway.

03 March 2018 | George Town near Sand Dollar Beach
Sunny, windy from the north, low 70’s
After laundry in a bucket this morning (hey, this is not sissy work; Roger got a blister and lost the skin), Roger and I took a long dinghy ride this afternoon along the east side of the anchorage. At the north end, there were a couple of very protected little bays, one is labeled as a hurricane hole. It seemed like the only way in or out would be at high tide. So while we are out here roughing it in the wind and one foot chop, there are boats on mooring balls and some on posts sitting in the calm. A few were rather large monohulls and catamarans. Different reality. We didn’t see anyone onboard the boats, with the exception of one boat.

Volleyball beach is down at that end, where most of the social activities take place. We are at the very southern end of the anchorage. There were more open spots in this area to anchor, now we know why. Still, there is an empty beach nearby and we are a bit better protected. Using Roger’s glass bottom bucket and his expert dinghy driving, I was able to follow my anchor rode all the way to my anchor. I was worried that with this wind in 20 feet of water at high tide, the chain might be getting pulled off the bottom. I can stop wishing my 60 feet of chain was 80 feet. It seemed like almost all the chain was lying on the bottom, and the anchor was buried with only the shank visible. So the 60 feet of rope is trying to drag at least 50 feet of chain along the bottom, attached to a 45 pound anchor buried in the sand ... it’s not going to budge. I keep telling myself that every time the wind kicks up.

The catamaran in the blog photo is anchored near us. The last time it was near us was on a mooring ball in Annapolis. You will often meet boats in several different places as you cruise.

We think the wind might die down enough on Tuesday for us to leave. The wind is from the north and we want to go north, so heading directly into 20+ knots of wind - we are passing on that wonderful opportunity.
Comments
Vessel Name: Last Chance
Vessel Make/Model: Islander 36 (1979)
Hailing Port: Waukegan, Illinois
Last Chance's Photos - Main
21 Photos
Created 1 February 2019
3 Photos
Created 22 July 2018
18 Photos
Created 8 April 2018
31 Photos
Created 22 January 2018
Traveling down the Chesapeake and the East Coast
53 Photos
Created 11 September 2017
Erie Canal and Hudson River
33 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
Great Lakes part of the journey.
45 Photos
Created 15 July 2017
Boat prep and races prior to departure
12 Photos
Created 14 June 2017