Last Chance ... A Two Year Journey

Leaving the Great Lakes for a Caribbean/Pacific adventure

26 June 2020 | Beaver Island
24 June 2020 | Mackinac Island
21 June 2020 | Off Racine
02 May 2020 | Larsen Marine
17 August 2019 | Half way across the lake and back
20 July 2019 | Sturgeon Bay, WI
15 July 2019 | Start of Hook Race off Racine, Wi
24 June 2019 | Mackinac Island
16 June 2019 | Waukegan Harbor
30 May 2019 | Somewhere off Waukegan
29 April 2019 | Waukegan, IL
14 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
12 February 2019 | Great Galliot Cay
11 February 2019 | Sampson Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
09 February 2019 | Big Majors Spot
08 February 2019 | Near Midway Airport, Chicago
01 January 2019 | Larsen Marine
19 November 2018 | Hanover Park, IL

Farewell party at harbor

15 July 2017 | Waukegan Harbor
Many folks missing due to Hook and Mac races and personal boat trips. Carol came to see Pat and I off and visit her boat friends. Steve and Sharon, Rick and Nancy, Steve and Gayle were there. Steve and Gayle are contemplating following my tracks in a few years when they retire, so I am blazing the trail for them. Just as others have blazed the trail before me. The next post will be Monday as I start the Great Lakes part of my journey.

Leaks and final preparations

15 July 2017 | Waukegan Harbor
The time to leave is coming. One leak fixed, another leak still unresolved. The critical leak from one of the solar arch legs was fixed. That leaked water into the storage area shown in the blog photo. Down below, hold contents were rearranged and things stored for the trip. Below deck, I can finally walk and sit down, but some areas are still crowded.

Some equipment on deck was rearranged, two of the four jerry jugs (hold extra diesel fuel) were secured to the deck, even though they are empty right now. No room for them down below. Both water tanks are filled. Sailing books and clothes are moved aboard. I was supposed to read the books before I left. Still time before I get to the ocean.

Pat is starting the trip with me. We leave Monday morning. First stop - Milwaukee.

Farewell Dinner

09 July 2017 | The Shanty in Wadsworth Illinois
My dock mates, Steve and Betsy Lazerow on my port, Steve and Sharon Scheff on my starboard, took Pat and I out to dinner as a way to say farewell. Steve Lazerow will be doing the Hook Race again this year, so he will be gone the weekend before Pat and I leave for Milwaukee to start my journey, so they took us out this weekend. Pat is doing the first ten days of the trip up to Door County and Green Bay.

First issue found during preparation

09 July 2017 | Waukegan Harbor
Beautiful weekend
Well, it was bound to happen, and I guess there will be more issues like this in the journey to come. Pat brought the dinghy motor to the boat Saturday, since I brought the raft and propane tank, but forgot the motor. We then tried to mount the motor on the engine mount built into the solar arch. The mount is too high up in the arch, making it nearly impossible for one, or even two people to get the motor on the mount. You have to rotate the 35 pound motor sideways to get it to fit under the solar panels and onto the mount. Doing it from the dinghy would be impossible. So the motor will have to go back to the stern pulpit like last year. And I have to find a new place for the grill currently mounted there.

Last major steps completed

06 July 2017 | Larsen Marine
I am at Larsen Marine today. I have finished the last four major projects. The ocean genoa is hoisted and furled, ready to go. I replaced the CNG tank for the stove. Got the last one before the Mac racers, even though I made sure two weeks ago there would for sure be a tank for me. I cleaned out the hold where the tank goes, throwing out the last styrofoam lining the hull. In this case it blocked the drainage access to the bilge. So it was wet. Removed the wet filth and lined the bottom with DriDek. Got a topping lift installed. This was a new item. It is needed to protect the solar arch. It keeps the boom from drooping too low while sailing and therefore when the boom swings across, it clobbers and destroys the arch. Yesterday, the boom tent was dropped off (see photo for this blog). This is critical to keeping the sun off the deck so one doesn't bake down below. It will also be used to collect rain water. So all my critical items are now checked off. What is left is checking out the dinghy and organizing/removing what is currently on the boat and stowing provisions.

Close encounters of the boat kind

03 July 2017 | Somewhere off Milwaukee
It is the middle of the night and I am off Milwaukee. There is always one ship I look out for here: Lake Express. Sure enough, the AIS picks it up about 10 miles away coming from across the lake. So at midnight it passes .3 miles right in front of me. At night, lights look a lot closer than they really are, so I unnecessarily slow down right before it crosses. After traveling 11 hours, if I had been three minutes further south, someone would have had to alter course.
Vessel Name: Last Chance
Vessel Make/Model: Islander 36 (1979)
Hailing Port: Waukegan, Illinois
Last Chance's Photos - Main
21 Photos
Created 1 February 2019
3 Photos
Created 22 July 2018
18 Photos
Created 8 April 2018
31 Photos
Created 22 January 2018
Traveling down the Chesapeake and the East Coast
53 Photos
Created 11 September 2017
Erie Canal and Hudson River
33 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
Great Lakes part of the journey.
45 Photos
Created 15 July 2017
Boat prep and races prior to departure
12 Photos
Created 14 June 2017