26 June 2023 | Portland, Oregon
24 August 2021 | Newport, Oregon
01 February 2020 | Portland, Oregon
20 October 2019 | Portland, Oregon
02 October 2019 | Sandy Airport, Oregon
28 July 2019 | Portland, Oregon
04 November 2018 | Portland, Oregon
03 November 2018 | Portland, Oregon
30 October 2018 | Portland, Oregon
29 September 2018 | Portland, Oregon
15 September 2018 | Port Angeles, Washington
12 June 2018 | Portland, Oregon
02 June 2018 | Victoria, Canada
30 May 2018 | Ganges, Saltspring Island, Canada
27 May 2018 | Nanaimo, Canada

Sailing Off and Sailing On the Anchor

08 April 2018 | Puerto Los Cabos Marina, San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
One of the traditional sailing skills that gives me pleasure when cruising is "sailing off the anchor" and "sailing on the anchor". Sailing off the anchor means leaving the anchorage without using the sailboat's engine. Sailing on the anchor means anchoring without using the sailboat's engine.

Before cruising sailboats had auxiliary engines they had no choice except to sail on and off the anchor. But today I see almost all cruising sailboats come into and leave the anchorage with all sails dropped, running the engine both ways.

One reason most cruisers today do not sail off the anchor is because they use an electrically powered windlass to raise the anchor, which requires running the engine. S/V Ubiquity has an electrically powered windlass, but I have never used it in powered mode to raise the anchor. I always raise the anchor manually by grinding (turning with a winch handle) the windlass by hand. I figure it is good arm exercise for me, saves wear on the windlass motor, saves the batteries, and does not require running the engine. Plus I can sail off the anchor.

So Ubiquity often sails off the anchor. If the wind is blowing the boat offshore, it is easy. We raise the anchor, Ubiquity starts moving offshore and gains steerage under bare poles, and we leisurely raise sail to speed up. If the wind is blowing Ubiquity onto a lee shore, or perhaps some nasty reefs, the captain and crew of Ubiquity confer first about the procedure. Typically, we raise the mainsail at anchor and then the captain grinds the anchor chain in while the crew flakes the chain in the chain locker. When most chain is in the captain calls the crew to man the helm. The captain grinds in the remaining chain and stows the anchor. After the anchor breaks loose the crew sails the boat to windward, under mainsail, following the agreed course to clear the shore hazards.

Sailing on the anchor can be harder, but is easy for an open roadstead type anchorage, especially if the wind blows offshore. Whatever the conditions we first furl the headsail to reduce speed when coming into the anchorage. Then if the wind blows offshore we will tack under mainsail until reaching the desired anchoring location. The captain will then ask the crew manning the helm to steer into the wind as the captain goes forward, quickly drops the mainsail, then drops the anchor as the boat comes to a stop and the bow starts blowing off the wind. When I stop letting out chain the ground tackle (anchor plus chain) will pull the bow back into the wind and hopefully set the anchor.

When sailing onto the anchor with the wind blowing onshore, or in a more crowded or tighter anchorage, after reaching the desired anchoring location I may either drop the mainsail and lie ahull before anchoring, or heave to (Ubiquity heaves to well under mainsail alone) with the mainsail up and then drop the mainsail before anchoring. Either lying ahull or hove to Ubiquity will lie fairly still in the water, making very slow leeway, giving time to attend to the mainsail before anchoring.

There are other ways to do it of course, as described in the sailing books. You can set the anchor more dynamically under sail, perhaps eliminating the need for what I discuss next. But these procedures we use on Ubiquity we like, and feel very calm and controlled.

Now the bad part. After sailing onto the anchor I always ask myself if I should run the engine to make sure of a good anchor set. Even if I feel great about the sailing on the anchor, when I ask myself if the anchor should drag, with some consequent problem, would I feel stupid that I did not take the precaution of backing down on the anchor with the engine, I answer yes. So I besmirch the purity of sailing on the anchor, perhaps after sailing off the anchor in the morning and not using the engine all day, by running the engine.

Hal Roth himself, a famous sailing author and cruiser, who espoused the skill of sailing on and off the anchor, said that perhaps the most important role of the sailboat auxiliary engine was to test and set the anchor. So purity is nice, but protecting your boat is nice too.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ubiquity
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 34 sailboat, 1987, hull #67
Hailing Port: Portland, Oregon
Crew: Brian Stipak, Leslie Sawyer, sometimes others
About:
Captain Brian Stipak typically sails with one additional crew member aboard, most commonly Leslie Sawyer. Leslie is an experienced sailor, and she sailed on most of S/V Ubiquity's 2013 Vancouver Island circumnavigation and the 2015 Haida Gwaii cruise. [...]
Home Page: http://web.pdx.edu/~stipakb/Ubiquity-Cruising.html
Social:
Ubiquity's Photos - Main
Marina Los Cabos in San Jose del Cabo, Sailing west of Cabo Falso, Canal de Cerrlavo, Playa Bonanza, La Paz, loading S/V Ubiquity on freighter
88 Photos
Created 25 April 2018
Shows the “ghost town” of empty boulevards built by the government in Puerto Escondido, ashore on Isla San Juan, sailing south to La Paz, and several photos in La Paz, March 2018.
55 Photos
Created 23 March 2018
Santa Rosalia, Whale Watching, Isla Carmen including the Abandoned Salt Mine and Town at Salinas, March 2018
116 Photos
Created 20 March 2018
Midriff Islands, and the Bahia de Los Angeles area
48 Photos
Created 19 March 2018
Marina San Carlos, Marina Seca, Exploring the San Carlos Area, 2017, 2018
41 Photos
Created 19 February 2018
Cruising north in the Sea of Cortez from La Paz to Santa Rosalia. Then crossing the Sea to Bahia San Pedro, before arriving at Marina San Carlos, north of Guaymus, Sonora, Mexico. We hauled S/V Ubiquity at San Carlos for storage at the Marina Seca on-land storage facility for the summer.
119 Photos
Created 24 August 2017
Cruising in the La Paz area, Spring 2017. El Cardoncito, San Evaristo, Isle San Francisco, Playa Bonanza
94 Photos
Created 3 April 2017
34 Photos
Created 13 January 2017
13 Photos
Created 8 January 2017
October 7-9, 2016 get-together of friends in Cathlamet, Washinton. Photos show the kids in the group having fun.
6 Photos
Created 13 October 2016