Unchained

19 May 2010 | Indiantown, FL
17 May 2010 | Bahamas
02 May 2010 | Georgetown, Exuma
22 April 2010 | Elizabeth Harbor, Great Exuma
22 April 2010 | Georgetown, Exuma
08 April 2010 | Ocean World Marina, Puerto Plata
05 April 2010 | Ocean World Marina, Puerto Plata
02 April 2010 | Ocean World Marina, Puerto Plata
26 March 2010 | Ocean World Marina, Puerto Plata
19 March 2010 | Boqueron, PR
14 March 2010 | Ponce,P.R.
06 March 2010 | British Virgin Islands
06 March 2010 | British Virgin Islands
14 February 2010 | At sea
14 February 2010 | Nevis
05 February 2010 | Jolly Harbor, Antigua
27 January 2010 | Portsmouth, Dominica
22 January 2010 | Portsmouth, Dominica
08 January 2010 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
08 January 2010 | St. Lucia

Softball & cleaning

08 April 2008 | Luperon, D.R.
Bill
I believe I mentioned in a previous update about the weekly softball games between the "Gringos" and the local Dominicans. They take place every Saturday at 10am (usually getting started by 11). They are played on a baseball field like a Little League field back home complete with outfield walls paid for by sponsors. It is a little run down. The bases are well trodden and Home plate is a flattened 2 liter bottle and occasionally horses or motorcycles pass through behind the bases. The Gringos (cruisers & x pats) have their own gloves (enough to loan you one) and a local bar even provided blue jerseys with "Gringos" on them for the regulars. The average age of the Dominican team is late teens, early twenties. The average for the Gringos is late forties and up. Usually the teams do a little player exchange to even up the game. When I asked if the Gringos ever won I was told they won the first three games, then someone suggested the loser buy the winners beer. The Gringos haven't won since. There is a lot of beer drunk during the game.
Good news has been confirmed. "Bad weather has left the building"!!! It is Tuesday about 11am and we are preparing to leave this evening for Puerto Rico. We stored loose items, checked stores, washed the deck, put in new waypoints, checked the engine and cleaned the anchor chain. The picture with this update is of the chain after 26 days in the water of Luperon harbor, Yea, I know, you can't see the chain! The 5/8" 3 strand snubber line looks just as bad below the waterline. The next update will be from Puerto Rico, probably from the town of Ponce on the southern coast. Finally the adventure, the cruising part, continues. Adios from Luperon.
Vessel Name: Unchained
Vessel Make/Model: 38' Beneteau
Hailing Port: Knoxville, TN
Crew: Bill & Sue Shafer
About:
We have been sailing about ten years (lots of schools and bare boat charters in those years). Sue grew up in Midland, TX and Bill in Knoxville, TN where we have a home. We are members of Concord Yacht Club in Knoxville (Great people & very supportive). [...]
Extra: Unchained is a 1991 Beneteau Moorings 38 which was designed as a charter boat. We had to make many modifications to make her a reasonable long distance cruiser. She is light and small but very capable.