Where feet may fail, seahorse V

Vessel Name: seahorse V
Vessel Make/Model: Henri wauquiez amphrite
Crew: Captain Steve thornton, wife and mom Tina, kids billy and grace
About: Travelling from victoria canada ...undetermined length of time heading south for min. 1 year. Mexico, sea of Cortez and.....
18 December 2014 | Paradise village
28 November 2014
19 November 2014 | La paz
11 November 2014 | Cabo San lucas
21 October 2014 | Victoria, bc
15 September 2014 | Victoria, BC
Recent Blog Posts
18 December 2014 | Paradise village

Sea of Cortez to PV

Well " change of plans" we left la Paz and are anchoring off Bahai San Gabriel. Marina life has its advantages but they can be short lived. Once the laundry is done the food is stocked and the boat maintenance has been worked on, well time to go. We stayed for 9 days, needed about 3. On the anchor [...]

28 November 2014

Leaving La Paz

Well it's time, we have been in the marina Cortez for a little over a week and it's time to leave.

19 November 2014 | La paz

Well after a couple rough nights in the beautiful balladera bay we decided to pull into a marina for 1 week. We had unexpectedly windy nights in the bay and were tossed like a salad all night long for 2 nights. I'm not much fun sleep deprived, kids didn't feel a thing and slept like rocks.

11 November 2014 | Cabo San lucas

Loving mexico

Well it's taken a while to have both time and the Internet at the same time. We left sandiego and without much wind travelled 360 no to turtle bay. Our stop there with the baha fleet of about 130 boats and a few hundred crew was fun and well needed after 3 and a half days on the ocean. Best memory [...]

21 October 2014 | Victoria, bc

On to meet the captain

Well the captain is safe and sound in sandiego. I've been waiting to fly and meet him for 9 days. It seemed like forever to me and the kids, until today.

15 September 2014 | Victoria, BC

Captain and Crew

2 weeks before departure

Sea of Cortez to PV

18 December 2014 | Paradise village
Tina
Well " change of plans" we left la Paz and are anchoring off Bahai San Gabriel. Marina life has its advantages but they can be short lived. Once the laundry is done the food is stocked and the boat maintenance has been worked on, well time to go. We stayed for 9 days, needed about 3. On the anchor its quite, and family oriented. Don't get me wrong, a social network is nessary . The men need to discuss...lol...God only knows what, the stuff the women are sick of hearing, and the women need to generally vent and affirm that they are not alone in the feelings and struggles that maybe their husbands find to be futile complaints.
The anchorage reminds us that we are on the same page and we HAVE to work together if this whole experience has a chance of success.
Wow, went up to Caleta Partida, what a pleasure. A perfectly sheltered passage between 2 islands, with a beautiful bay like opening, to anchor in. Surprisingly when we jumped off our dingy to explore the white sand beach, about 2 minutes into our walk thousands of crabs began to scatter. Of course I screamed, and Billy assured me that these bubbler crabs with their one claw we not to be feared. He had just learned all about them on our planet earth movie a couple nights ago. He then proceeded with the help of grace of course, to explain to me why and how they make all these sand balls on the beach. Volcanic rock large and small can be seen around the outer edges of the beach from the extinct volcano thousands of years ago. We will stay here for a few days and try to absorb as much as we can of this paradise.
Few days on the sea of Cortez and I'm sold, sun, silence, great beaches and oh ya --fishing-- yuppie. Yesterday, 3 trigger fish, 1 barracuda ( though very small) and my favorite Sierra and yes I am responsible for 2 catches, we had a great fish dinner and a bag for the freezer.
A rediculously rough 4 hour passage up the sea to another anchorage. It was like going through the washing machine the whole trip. Tired out, but happy to not be moving, isla San Francisco, wow what a place. We hiked up to a picturesque view and later tried to fish but no success .
Left after 2 days and headed to mazatlan, 38 hours later we arrived! el cid what a treat. Again many friends and a great time. We stayed 2 days
Longer then planned and still it was hard to pull away, if we had know the weather would have been so beautiful we would have planned Christmas in mazatlan but as time was ticking along we had to move out and on.
16 hours and we reach the bird sanctuary on isla Isabella. I survived, not my favorite being surrounded by thousands of nesting frigget birds the size of taradacto dinosaurs but for the sake of my children..all three , I endured it. The weather is already getting warmer morning was dry and hot. After a few hours sleep we will leave tonight at midnight and in 16 hours we will arrive in peurto vallarta..
Instead, we left at 3 in the afternoon, reached San blast at 11 pm had a reasonable sleep and took off at 6 am for la Cruz . Night watch this time was the worst so far charts were old and less accurate and panga boats along with fishing boats meant for tons of water traffic, ended up being more than I could handle, which led to the anchoring over night.
Here at paradise village let the Christmas fun begin.

About & Links