Sailing in my Sarong Around the World

World circumnavigation on yacht Valiam & Caribbean to Turkey on yacht Lati

The Adventures of Linda and Captain Underpants!

Who: Linda and Bill Anderson. To buy our books 'Sailing in my Sarong' or 'Salvage in my Sarong' for $39.95 +postage, see Paypal/visa button below (or email us: valiam1@hotmail.com)
Port: Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia

Current Position - click on positions for log entr

Linda's books "Sailing in my Sarong" or "Salvage in my Sarong" are A$39.95 each + A$10 postage in Australia for up to 4 books. Other countries please email Linda : valiam1@hotmail.com
Number of copies of each book you would like
Salvage in my Sarong

The night was dark and stormy and the lightning scary as hell

23 January 2015 | Ballina - Byron Bay
The night was dark and stormy and the lightning scary as hell

The feeling of foreboding wouldn't go away on the morning of the 19th January in Coffs Harbour as we prepared to depart. (I had this feeling once before before on a horrible trip on Lati in the Med when the gearbox blue up in strong winds. ) At 6am we woke our neighbours on Zefr who had offered to help us untie Valiam. As Bill reversed out of the pen the bow line became tangled on the cleat on the dock. 'Wait! ' I called out. But we couldn't.
'Release the line!' called out Gary. I had no choice but to throw the line to Anna, leaving it behind. Valiam wasn't sure about leaving that day either.

As we headed out to sea turning our nose north towards Southport, a nice southwesterly had us sailing at 7.5 knots. We reached Ballina by 7pm and we began talking about sailing all night to Mooloolaba. Until we looked at the rain radar.

There were heavy rain squalls and storms to the northwest of us.
' Looks like there's some lightning in that,' said Bill thoughtfully looking into the gloomy darkness.
' Let's turn around! We always do that at sea to run away from storms,' I replied panicking and continually looking at the nasty looking orange blotches on the radar.
At 7.54pm we turned south again. The conditions weren't very pleasant heading into the wind. After 2 hours at 9.23 we could see the storm was north of Byron and looked like it was heading away from us. We messaged our son Liam and he thought so too.

We were wrong. A small storm near Mullimbimby became bigger and joined forces with the Cape Byron one. By this time the sky was becoming a light show. I felt sick. So at 17 mins past midnight Bill had to turn Valiam south again. We were running the engine, the autopilot and kept up the reefed mainsail. I put all our devices - IPad, sat phone, my phone in the oven and kept out Bill's phone for navigation . (Metal box is supposed to protect these things from lightning) As we headed south again into the choppy waves, rain and lightning seeming so close, I felt the fear making my mouth dry. As I remarked on this Bill said, 'Yeah my mouth feels dry too..'

There was to be no sleep for either of us that night. By 2.35am, there appeared to be a gap in the storms on the radar so we turned north again. I was not so confident and we really didn't know which was the best direction to head other than AWAY from these awful monsters. Going north was with the wind but against the current so it was slower. 45 minutes later at 3.13am the Cape Byron storm began moving towards us. So we turned south again. The sky was an electric light show. Thunder rumbled loudly and the waves began to build. I felt sea sick despite the medication.

Occasionally I would grab my iPhone out of the oven and check the radar. The Mullimbimby storm had joined forces with the Byron storm and was growing in intensity. The Ballina storm began moving Southeast off Ballina where we were. Bill turned the boat more east. It was becoming so scary. In some ways I was like an ostrich denying what was happening. How did we get ourselves in this predicament? Bill was out in the cockpit harnessed, wet and exhausted. He decided to crawl out to the stern to drop the metal windvane paddle into the water to hopefully act as a lightning conductor. When the lightning flashed all around us it was blindingly bright.
' I can see giant forks of lightning hitting the sea,' Bill said
' I don't want to see them. I don't want to go sailing anymore,' I moaned miserably.

At 4.04 am we were on the edge of the storm off Ballina. Scared shitless. We were a sitting duck. I was too scared to touch anything made of metal even a drinking cup. But when you are in it what can you do? We just kept going steering more north east now as another storm was heading southwards close to land. Out to sea. Out to sea felt safer. The Internet became weaker but we used our eyes to determine where the least lightning was.

By 7.18am, the skies finally began to clear. Dolphins came to cheer us up and a ship passed by. A flying fish lay on the deck and we talked jokingly about having it for breakfast as we hadn't eaten anything except biscuits. Shattered and exhausted we continued back towards Byron Bay. We lost 12 hours of passage making north due to the electrical storms. The skies and ocean were a steely grey. Mutton birds flew around us.

By 1pm we could sit in the cockpit and eat a sandwich. There was enough wind to turn the motor off. Once things settled, Bill fell into bed exhausted and I kept watch.
During the night and in the morning my Women who Sail Australia Facebook friends kept in touch with me lending moral support. They planned to have a glass of champers as soon as we arrived safely in Southport. We also received advice about the most sheltered anchorage. We decided to go to 'Bums bay', the Marine stadium anchorage.

At 4pm we anchored at the entrance of bums bay near the Aquaduck boat ramp and Marine Rescue building. This was after a cranky old man on a schooner told us we were stupid to anchor near some blue plastic buoys. They are markers for jetski races. How were we to know?

Finally settled, we watched the passing scenery and the sun set behind the high rise with a glass in hand. Once I posted my pic of me on the WWSA site, women from around Australia and overseas did the same. It's such a great support group so another thank you girls!

These pics were taken the next morning. No photos of the storms
Comments
Vessel Name: Valiam
Vessel Make/Model: Valiam: Lidgard 45 (Single chine plywood) designed by Gary Lidgard. Built by Bill Anderson and Steve Thornalley. Lati: 31ft 1967 Kim Holman built in Barcelona. Original name Latigazo
Hailing Port: Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia
Crew: Linda and Bill Anderson. To buy our books 'Sailing in my Sarong' or 'Salvage in my Sarong' for $39.95 +postage, see Paypal/visa button below (or email us: valiam1@hotmail.com)
About:
Bill and Linda fufilled a 30 year dream to sail around the world. First they built a boat in a paddock in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, Qld, Australia in 1994 with the help of friend Steve. [...]
Extra:
CIRCUMNAVIGATION ON VALIAM: We left Mooloolaba on the 7th November 2007, sailed to Townsville, leaving Australian waters on 26th November 2007 for PNG, Palau, Philippines, Borneo, Malaysia,Singapore, Cocos Keeling islands. We crossed the Indian Ocean to Rodrigues, Mauritius,Reunion and South [...]
Social:
Valiam 's Photos - Valiam (more albums below) (Main)
12 days in paradise January 2017
76 Photos
Created 22 January 2017
Delivery trip for Captain Peter Moor
7 Photos
Created 16 September 2014
23 Photos
Created 28 April 2014
Most works are in the previous album. Here are the most recent, mostly pastels unframed drawn from life.PayPal or Direct deposit. email Linda valiam1@hotmail.com
20 Photos
Created 14 January 2014
30 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
18 Photos
Created 27 July 2013
28 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
123 Photos
Created 21 June 2013
45 Photos
Created 15 June 2013
59 Photos
Created 31 May 2013
12 Photos
Created 15 May 2013
28 Photos
Created 28 April 2013
47 Photos
Created 31 January 2013
Aiming to sail to Tasmania and back by April
85 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
22 Photos
Created 27 December 2012
5 Photos
Created 1 October 2012
20 Photos
Created 24 September 2012
43 Photos
Created 19 September 2012
18 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
20 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
108 Photos
Created 14 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 14 August 2012
65 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Lati's Atlantic Crossing to Azores
41 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
56 Photos
Created 8 June 2012
124 Photos
Created 16 March 2012
Rosebed st Gallery Eudlo, Queensland. PHOTOS by Marion Jonkers Photography
40 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
20 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
67 Photos
Created 7 October 2011
6 Photos
Created 28 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 16 February 2011
45 Photos
Created 27 January 2011
Pt Cartwright, Buddina, Australia
85 Photos
Created 26 December 2010
20 Photos
Created 3 July 2010
44 Photos
Created 13 June 2010
We welcomed Jessica Watson to Mooloolaba after she was the youngest to sail around the world non stop unassisted. Well done Jess
19 Photos
Created 6 June 2010
1 Photo
Created 25 May 2010
39 Photos
Created 5 May 2010
back with the family for Christmas
81 Photos
Created 26 December 2009
125 Photos
Created 24 November 2009
75 Photos
Created 14 October 2009
45 Photos
Created 5 October 2009
129 Photos
Created 5 October 2009
126 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
113 Photos
Created 28 June 2009
107 Photos
Created 6 June 2009
83 Photos
Created 4 June 2009
118 Photos
Created 19 May 2009
113 Photos
Created 14 April 2009
81 Photos
Created 6 April 2009
1994 to current day
59 Photos
Created 19 March 2009
74 Photos
Created 17 March 2009
73 Photos
Created 1 March 2009
103 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 16 January 2009
130 Photos
Created 28 December 2008
120 Photos
Created 25 November 2008
107 Photos
Created 23 October 2008
38 Photos
Created 12 October 2008
25 Photos
Created 8 October 2008
45 Photos
Created 21 September 2008
114 Photos
Created 14 September 2008
54 Photos
Created 31 August 2008
49 Photos
Created 22 August 2008
119 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 July 2008
83 Photos
Created 25 June 2008
6 Photos
Created 25 June 2008
12 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 1 June 2008
My work is of an expressionist nature - I capture what I see from life. I draw and paint on location using mostly pastels, inks and occasionally acrylics. Some works are framed but many arent so are easily packaged for posting. You can pay by PayPal or Direct Deposit. I am located on the Sunshine Coast, QLD< Australia
120 Photos
Created 31 May 2008
60 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 May 2008
36 Photos
Created 30 May 2008
38 Photos
Created 30 May 2008
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 30 May 2008
71 Photos
Created 30 May 2008
25 Photos
Created 30 May 2008
Valiam at Lawries Marina
24 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 28 May 2008

The Adventures of Linda and Captain Underpants!

Who: Linda and Bill Anderson. To buy our books 'Sailing in my Sarong' or 'Salvage in my Sarong' for $39.95 +postage, see Paypal/visa button below (or email us: valiam1@hotmail.com)
Port: Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia

Current Position - click on positions for log entr

Linda's books "Sailing in my Sarong" or "Salvage in my Sarong" are A$39.95 each + A$10 postage in Australia for up to 4 books. Other countries please email Linda : valiam1@hotmail.com
Number of copies of each book you would like
Salvage in my Sarong
"You just sit on the boat, pull a few strings and you get there." Bill Anderson aka Captain Underpants