Sailing in my Sarong Around the World

World circumnavigation on yacht Valiam & Caribbean to Turkey on yacht Lati

The Adventures of Linda and Captain Underpants!

Who: Linda and Bill Anderson. To buy our books 'Sailing in my Sarong' or 'Salvage in my Sarong' for $39.95 +postage, see Paypal/visa button below (or email us: valiam1@hotmail.com)
Port: Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia

Current Position - click on positions for log entr

Linda's books "Sailing in my Sarong" or "Salvage in my Sarong" are A$39.95 each + A$10 postage in Australia for up to 4 books. Other countries please email Linda : valiam1@hotmail.com
Number of copies of each book you would like
Salvage in my Sarong

Maasin Philippines

06 March 2008
Thursday 6th March 2008
Maasin
Leyte, Philippines

9am: It's raining as it has been since yesterday afternoon. Our laundry will be ready in an hour. First we have to row ashore, remove the debris and black sand from our feet before we can put our thongs back on, crawl through the earth floor passage of the beachside dwellers and work out how to get to the laundry. It's a one way street in the opposite direction of the laundry so we will have to find a suitable 'tricycle' with a driver who speaks a bit of English.
Yesterday we were fortunate in meeting tricycle driver Jerry who spoke very good English. We hired him for 3 hours to take us around. It was such fun riding around in this little thing. It's a bit cramped and we had to bend our heads to sit in it. We went a few kilometers away to the provincial capital to find the 'Big Chow Garden restaurant' for lunch. It was very pleasant there with overhanging flowering plants and a park with tennis court next door. We have discovered the best cheapest meal is bbq chicken for 85pesos ( $2.20). Almost half a chicken marinated in spices is cooked on a skewer over coals. This is served with garlic rice and a little sweet and sour cabbage. After lunch Jerry drove us around to do our errands - buy diesel, go to phone shop, post office, internet caf� etc.
Bill wonders why most Filipino hairdressers are transvestites?! In Palau we met several and here it appears to be the same here. Bill decided to have a haircut and beard trim at the local hairdressers up the road. There were about 6 staff lounging about reading, gossiping and texting on their phones. The two hairdressers working were both transvestites. The one who looked after Bill had long dyed red hair, 5 oclock shadow, earrings, plucked eyebrows, tight tight hipster jeans and stiletto heels. He/she did a great job and was very particular. About 45 minutes later Bill looked very dapper and the whole lot cost 100 pesos. ($3). A haircut on its own is 50pesos ($1.50).
We are thinking of going to Bohol island where we can possibly see the smallest primate - a tarsier- which has a furry body, tail like a mouse and a face a bit like a monkey and fits in the palm of your hand. Bohol is also famous for 'chocolate hills' which are really formed from limestone. It's raining, the visibility is 0 and we still have to go ashore......... The satellite phone beeped several times last night so we know there are email messages. ( I also need to put a few more photos on the website, particularly one with Caylan in it as the new one has only Joe! )
Bill had a chat to David our neighbour on 'Celtic Caper' This is his 3rd time around the world! No wonder his boat looks a bit needy of attention. He has never had any trouble through the Pacific or Southeast Asia. He said in parts of Africa and the Caribbean he came across some difficult Africans. David appears quite relaxed about life and doesn't seem to be in any hurry to go any where. He's been cruising for 20 years.

Wednesday 5th March
Maasin
Leyte Island
Philippines

The smell of burning rubbish greeted our nostrils as we entered Maasin harbour. We were pleased to see another yacht here. We met the occupants briefly - an older Welsh/Englishman with a young Asian girlfriend. He said he has been here 5 weeks and everyone is very friendly - no problem with leaving the dinghy on the little grey beach nearby. This has certainly been the case. Each day as Bill rows us ashore to the small grey beach littered in rubbish next to the wharf we have been warmly greeted by the people who live in the 'beachfront' shacks. We have been told by one of the men here that Maasin people are very religious and that's why it's a safe town. There is a big painted statue of 'Our Lady of Assumption' on the hill above town directly behind Valiam. She is lit up at night and as the Lonely Planet guide says 'looks like a benevolent apparition floating in the sky'. She was built to commemorate an old legend about an angel who descended from the heavens to turn back a typhoon. Early every morning (4am) we are woken by prayers and singing carried over the water by loudspeaker.The people who live in the beach shacks look after our dinghy and continually welcome us through their dark passageway to the street. A small bamboo gate slightly ajar next to a tiny eating place called 'Leahs' is where we go in and out to get to the boat.
The street is very noisy with 'tricycles' zooming along. They are motorcycles with a side car attached with a roof. There is enough room for a whole Filipino family or 2 large Australian yachties. We haven't tried one yet but intend to today to take our washing to a laundry.
We have tried each day to clear in but the person who handles yachts hasn't been in the immigration office yet. We have registered with the port and the coast guard. We will try Immigration again today.
We have been dining mostly at the only real restaurant in town 'Kinamot' which happens to be right on the beach front where Valiam is anchored. It is so cheap to eat here. A very nice meal with chicken, pork or fish, vegetables, rice, beer, iced tea etc rarely comes to more than $10. There is an internet caf� down the road which only costs 15 pesos and hour (30c). Its nice to be in a place not geared to tourists. However we are a bit of a novelty walking around and we often hear 'Americanos!' . We have bought local sim cards for our phones so we can call Australia for about 40c a minute. The trouble is sms to Oz costs the same! Bill and I can sms each other for free so this is handy communication if we go out separately.
They've been a couple of beggars approaching us, usually children. At first we didn't do anything but if we had some coins we would give those. However a local told us not to give money as it encourages begging which they don't like. It is difficult. Yesterday I was at the bakery buying bread and a boy/adult made signing gestures to his mouth. I offered bread but he didn't want it and looked annoyed. Another grubby waif followed us for a long way. She waited outside the internet caf� staring in at us. Bill said 'Hello' but she didn't give any eye contact and just sucked her finger. She may have had a disability such as autism and lives on the streets. She may have been fascinated with us because we look different....... Anyway she eventually lost us in the traffic.
Yesterday we met our friend Jerry's forestry colleague Nestor at the restaurant Kinamot. Jerry and Bill were at Uni together and Jerry arranged for us to meet Nestor. We enjoyed a feast for lunch with Nestor and some of his staff from the uni. We went on a field trip out in the countryside which was fascinating. I was interested to see a plantation of mahogany trees and a small scale sawmill which also made furniture.
We will get the laundry done today, update the website, buy diesel etc in preparation for our next bit of cruising. I'm looking forward to having a ride in one of the colourful 'tricycles'.
Comments
Vessel Name: Valiam
Vessel Make/Model: Valiam: Lidgard 45 (Single chine plywood) designed by Gary Lidgard. Built by Bill Anderson and Steve Thornalley. Lati: 31ft 1967 Kim Holman built in Barcelona. Original name Latigazo
Hailing Port: Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia
Crew: Linda and Bill Anderson. To buy our books 'Sailing in my Sarong' or 'Salvage in my Sarong' for $39.95 +postage, see Paypal/visa button below (or email us: valiam1@hotmail.com)
About:
Bill and Linda fufilled a 30 year dream to sail around the world. First they built a boat in a paddock in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, Qld, Australia in 1994 with the help of friend Steve. [...]
Extra:
CIRCUMNAVIGATION ON VALIAM: We left Mooloolaba on the 7th November 2007, sailed to Townsville, leaving Australian waters on 26th November 2007 for PNG, Palau, Philippines, Borneo, Malaysia,Singapore, Cocos Keeling islands. We crossed the Indian Ocean to Rodrigues, Mauritius,Reunion and South [...]
Social:
Valiam 's Photos - Valiam (more albums below) (Main)
12 days in paradise January 2017
76 Photos
Created 22 January 2017
Delivery trip for Captain Peter Moor
7 Photos
Created 16 September 2014
23 Photos
Created 28 April 2014
Most works are in the previous album. Here are the most recent, mostly pastels unframed drawn from life.PayPal or Direct deposit. email Linda valiam1@hotmail.com
20 Photos
Created 14 January 2014
30 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
18 Photos
Created 27 July 2013
28 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
123 Photos
Created 21 June 2013
45 Photos
Created 15 June 2013
59 Photos
Created 31 May 2013
12 Photos
Created 15 May 2013
28 Photos
Created 28 April 2013
47 Photos
Created 31 January 2013
Aiming to sail to Tasmania and back by April
85 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
22 Photos
Created 27 December 2012
5 Photos
Created 1 October 2012
20 Photos
Created 24 September 2012
43 Photos
Created 19 September 2012
18 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
20 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
108 Photos
Created 14 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 14 August 2012
65 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Lati's Atlantic Crossing to Azores
41 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
56 Photos
Created 8 June 2012
124 Photos
Created 16 March 2012
Rosebed st Gallery Eudlo, Queensland. PHOTOS by Marion Jonkers Photography
40 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
20 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
67 Photos
Created 7 October 2011
6 Photos
Created 28 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 16 February 2011
45 Photos
Created 27 January 2011
Pt Cartwright, Buddina, Australia
85 Photos
Created 26 December 2010
20 Photos
Created 3 July 2010
44 Photos
Created 13 June 2010
We welcomed Jessica Watson to Mooloolaba after she was the youngest to sail around the world non stop unassisted. Well done Jess
19 Photos
Created 6 June 2010
1 Photo
Created 25 May 2010
39 Photos
Created 5 May 2010
back with the family for Christmas
81 Photos
Created 26 December 2009
125 Photos
Created 24 November 2009
75 Photos
Created 14 October 2009
45 Photos
Created 5 October 2009
129 Photos
Created 5 October 2009
126 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
113 Photos
Created 28 June 2009
107 Photos
Created 6 June 2009
83 Photos
Created 4 June 2009
118 Photos
Created 19 May 2009
113 Photos
Created 14 April 2009
81 Photos
Created 6 April 2009
1994 to current day
59 Photos
Created 19 March 2009
74 Photos
Created 17 March 2009
73 Photos
Created 1 March 2009
103 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 16 January 2009
130 Photos
Created 28 December 2008
120 Photos
Created 25 November 2008
107 Photos
Created 23 October 2008
38 Photos
Created 12 October 2008
25 Photos
Created 8 October 2008
45 Photos
Created 21 September 2008
114 Photos
Created 14 September 2008
54 Photos
Created 31 August 2008
49 Photos
Created 22 August 2008
119 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 July 2008
83 Photos
Created 25 June 2008
6 Photos
Created 25 June 2008
12 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 1 June 2008
My work is of an expressionist nature - I capture what I see from life. I draw and paint on location using mostly pastels, inks and occasionally acrylics. Some works are framed but many arent so are easily packaged for posting. You can pay by PayPal or Direct Deposit. I am located on the Sunshine Coast, QLD< Australia
120 Photos
Created 31 May 2008
60 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 May 2008
36 Photos
Created 30 May 2008
38 Photos
Created 30 May 2008
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 30 May 2008
71 Photos
Created 30 May 2008
25 Photos
Created 30 May 2008
Valiam at Lawries Marina
24 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 28 May 2008

The Adventures of Linda and Captain Underpants!

Who: Linda and Bill Anderson. To buy our books 'Sailing in my Sarong' or 'Salvage in my Sarong' for $39.95 +postage, see Paypal/visa button below (or email us: valiam1@hotmail.com)
Port: Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia

Current Position - click on positions for log entr

Linda's books "Sailing in my Sarong" or "Salvage in my Sarong" are A$39.95 each + A$10 postage in Australia for up to 4 books. Other countries please email Linda : valiam1@hotmail.com
Number of copies of each book you would like
Salvage in my Sarong
"You just sit on the boat, pull a few strings and you get there." Bill Anderson aka Captain Underpants