Sailing in my Sarong Around the World

World circumnavigation on yacht Valiam & Caribbean to Turkey on yacht Lati

The Adventures of Linda and Captain Underpants!

Who: Linda and Bill Anderson. To buy our books 'Sailing in my Sarong' or 'Salvage in my Sarong' for $39.95 +postage, see Paypal/visa button below (or email us: valiam1@hotmail.com)
Port: Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia

Current Position - click on positions for log entr

Linda's books "Sailing in my Sarong" or "Salvage in my Sarong" are A$39.95 each + A$10 postage in Australia for up to 4 books. Other countries please email Linda : valiam1@hotmail.com
Number of copies of each book you would like
Salvage in my Sarong

Sailing with Peerliane & Adventura Philippines

01 April 2008
Leaving Brookes Point, Palawan
Philippines
1st April 2008

Franck the Frenchman gets us up at 6am every morning to get to our next destination! We were both flying spinnakers by 6.30 am. After making coffee and getting dressed I did my back exercises - yes they work and I like doing them because they feel good and I can do them lying down!
The wind has just stopped and Peerliane is motoring to catch up. There must be absolutely no wind as Franck is a purist and rarely uses the motor but we do have to get to a little island in the middle of nowhere today!
I am listening to Maria Callas soprano with the fan on my back as I type this!
Here the weather is really hot during the day and we have very little shade for a couple of hours but at night it is nice and cool with a breeze blowing usually.
Bill is till getting sunburnt regardless of what sunscreen he puts on. He sweats so much I think it just disappears. He's tried the clear zinc but says it doesn't work either. he wears a hat. What to do? The doxyclyclene we take for malaria prevention has a side effect that makes skin sensitive to the sun....

The island we are going to is tiny and was recommended to Franck by another yachtie. It doesn't have a name perhaps Ursula island but we'll keep in sight of each other to find it. We haven't been off the boat since Puerto Princesa. I would have liked to get off at Brookes Point but everyone wanted to keep moving. I guess out goal is Malaysia and it is nice to hop along and have a good night's sleep every night instead of going flat out for days on 3 hour shifts. I don't think My back could cope with an ocean passage right now.

Yesterday we arrived 1.5 hours earlier than the other 2 yachts. (We are a longer boat and have bigger sails). We tried to slow down but Valiam just wanted to GO! We have used the big purple and green spinnaker every day. I have named her Priscilla as she looks like she's showing off lifting her skirts in those colours against a clear blue sky. We practiced talking on the VHF radio yesterday to Adventura and Peerliane. Channel 16 has lots of Philippino fisherman talking on it so Chris and Franck suggests other channels which we have been switching over to. 3 way conversations are tricky so usually it is 2 of us with the 3rd listening in. Adventura didn't think they would make Broookes Point by dark so asked us to have a look at Filanthropia point. We did but it wasn't any good - shallow, exposed and reefs everywhere. We were first at Brookes point so had the responsibility of finding a suitable anchorage. As we rounded the headland we could see a wharf with a barge and some big fishing boats. We went in behind that an anchored in less than 4metres of water. This is good for Franck as he pulls his anchor up by hand. The others arrived just on sunset. Franck swam over to liase with each of us about today's destination. Basile splashed about next to him with his body board.

If you want to see on google earth where we were last night : 8.46.302N 117.49.413E

The motor is going now. The scenery is magical - high peaked mountains clear blue skies, palm fringed shore with scattered huts and fishing boats.

31st March
South Palawan on the way to Brookes Point

We are enjoying sailing with 2 other yachts - calm seas, blue skies, reading trashy novels. We left at 6am though to get to next anchorage - Brooks Point. Some bloke went there in the 1800s called Sir James Brookes calling himself the first 'white raja'.
We had the others over for drinks last night. Franck and Everlyne swam over with nibbles in a waterproof bag. Bill taxied Merry christmas (Mary and Chris). Franck and Everlynes boys Martin and Basile are 14 and 10 and have known no other life other than cruising and living on the boat. They jump off the boat whenever they are anchored into the water with their body boards. They are just so comfortable with life on the sea. Martin is one of the best spear fishermen, loves bodyboarding and is very mature for his age relating very well to all adults of all nationalities. They have to do correspondence school in the mornings. The boys don't like going back to France because it is too cold, too crowded and there's no spearfishing etc.
The Philippines is an amazing place - much better for holidays than Bali - it's a wonder it's not advertised in Oz.
South Palawan - en route to Malaysia

12 noon
30 March 2008

enroute southern Palawan
passing Rasa island
Phlippines

Not one to make comments on the egos of sailors but the competitive streak is out. Peerliane (the French) were leading the fleet followed by Adventura (the Scots) with Valiam pacing quietly at the rear. Well.... Peerliane put their spinaker up and shot ahead. The captain of Valiam would have none of this and prepared her spinaker. Accompanied by bellydance music and a cold beer the beautiful purple and green and purple spinaker went up. And now there was nothing stopping Valiam as she raced to the start of the fleet within seconds. Linda took photos, movies and did back exercises to bellydance music while the captains grin got wider. However Valiam is now heading out to sea and will have to pull her reins in to get back on course to achieve our goal of a quiet anchorage before sundown.
What a lovely afternoon of Sunday afternoon yacht racing in the Philippines!

Sunday 30th March 2008
Malanao Island
9.25.89N 118.36.42E

Sailing along yesterday in convoy with Peerliane and Adventura was a different experience for us as so far we have been on our own. Peerliane with gaff rig looked beautiful sailing in the gentle breeze. (a bit like a pirate ship) 14 year old Martin was up the mast standing on the gaff as I took a photo of them. As we slowed down to 1.5 knots the captain decided to motor the rest of the way.

We left Puerto Princesa at 10am (after taking back 4 of the 5 empty plastic beer crates and having a slap up brekky at the yacht club). John an Englishman and Cissy a local Philippino lady were very welcoming, extremely helpful and the nicest hosts one could imagine. It was more like visiting someone's home than a yacht club. As the building is on stilts hanging over the water it is the coolest bar in Puerto Princesa. A few local expats drop in for a drink and lunch on a regular basis. It was great to swap notes with other yachties there. We met Aussies Roslyn and Peter from Adamant 11 who have just been through Indonesia and Malaysia. Roslyn kept saying to me - "you'll love Malaysia". She said it is so well organized and the marina at Kota Kinabalu is like a resort with pools and efficient staff etc. (Linda can't wait) Meanwhile the three skippers Franck, Chris and Bill consulted with each other over a chart hanging in the yacht club and Chris in good economical Scottish style wrote the preferred anchorages on a torn serviette. (looks like toilet paper!)

We three yachts anchored within minutes of each other at 4pm yesterday. As it was so hot the two boys from Peerliane jumped in the water. Valiam's crew thought this was a great idea and followed suit. So did Franck and Everlyne. 'Merry Christmas' didn't. (Mary & Chris of Adventura). After cooling off we had a cold beverage and read trashy novels before dinner. As the sun went down we heard wonderful piano accordion music over the water from Peerliane. Franck played a huge repertoire from traditional French music to The Entertainer to Brandenberg Concerto. This was enjoyed by all the crew for at least an hour (although I suspect Martin and Basile had earplugs and MP3 players going so as not to endure Dad's music)

We went to bed early (BY 8pm) and slept until we heard the motors of the local fishing boats go past at dawn. Linda's back is still on the mend but with the exercises given by Angela the physio in PP things are slowly improving. The exercises are to be done in the morning and at night which isn't difficult because they are all 'lying down' ones!

We are not sure where the next anchorage will be today. Brooks Point is a possibility and is described by Lonely Planet as 'the last major inhabitation on the southeast coast of Palawan'. It's interesting that only half a page is dedicated to the whole of the south of Palawan while a thick chapter describes the north. Maybe it's something to do with PIRATES and SMUGGLERS down this end. I just put that in to keep your interest and make you think we are doing something very exciting and dangerous.

All well on board.
Just so you know the list on the port side has been corrected by the 5 crates of beer purchased just before we left Puerto Princesa.



Comments
Vessel Name: Valiam
Vessel Make/Model: Valiam: Lidgard 45 (Single chine plywood) designed by Gary Lidgard. Built by Bill Anderson and Steve Thornalley. Lati: 31ft 1967 Kim Holman built in Barcelona. Original name Latigazo
Hailing Port: Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia
Crew: Linda and Bill Anderson. To buy our books 'Sailing in my Sarong' or 'Salvage in my Sarong' for $39.95 +postage, see Paypal/visa button below (or email us: valiam1@hotmail.com)
About:
Bill and Linda fufilled a 30 year dream to sail around the world. First they built a boat in a paddock in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, Qld, Australia in 1994 with the help of friend Steve. [...]
Extra:
CIRCUMNAVIGATION ON VALIAM: We left Mooloolaba on the 7th November 2007, sailed to Townsville, leaving Australian waters on 26th November 2007 for PNG, Palau, Philippines, Borneo, Malaysia,Singapore, Cocos Keeling islands. We crossed the Indian Ocean to Rodrigues, Mauritius,Reunion and South [...]
Social:
Valiam 's Photos - Valiam (more albums below) (Main)
12 days in paradise January 2017
76 Photos
Created 22 January 2017
Delivery trip for Captain Peter Moor
7 Photos
Created 16 September 2014
23 Photos
Created 28 April 2014
Most works are in the previous album. Here are the most recent, mostly pastels unframed drawn from life.PayPal or Direct deposit. email Linda valiam1@hotmail.com
20 Photos
Created 14 January 2014
30 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
18 Photos
Created 27 July 2013
28 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
123 Photos
Created 21 June 2013
45 Photos
Created 15 June 2013
59 Photos
Created 31 May 2013
12 Photos
Created 15 May 2013
28 Photos
Created 28 April 2013
47 Photos
Created 31 January 2013
Aiming to sail to Tasmania and back by April
85 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
22 Photos
Created 27 December 2012
5 Photos
Created 1 October 2012
20 Photos
Created 24 September 2012
43 Photos
Created 19 September 2012
18 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
20 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
108 Photos
Created 14 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 14 August 2012
65 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Lati's Atlantic Crossing to Azores
41 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
56 Photos
Created 8 June 2012
124 Photos
Created 16 March 2012
Rosebed st Gallery Eudlo, Queensland. PHOTOS by Marion Jonkers Photography
40 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
20 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
67 Photos
Created 7 October 2011
6 Photos
Created 28 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 16 February 2011
45 Photos
Created 27 January 2011
Pt Cartwright, Buddina, Australia
85 Photos
Created 26 December 2010
20 Photos
Created 3 July 2010
44 Photos
Created 13 June 2010
We welcomed Jessica Watson to Mooloolaba after she was the youngest to sail around the world non stop unassisted. Well done Jess
19 Photos
Created 6 June 2010
1 Photo
Created 25 May 2010
39 Photos
Created 5 May 2010
back with the family for Christmas
81 Photos
Created 26 December 2009
125 Photos
Created 24 November 2009
75 Photos
Created 14 October 2009
45 Photos
Created 5 October 2009
129 Photos
Created 5 October 2009
126 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
113 Photos
Created 28 June 2009
107 Photos
Created 6 June 2009
83 Photos
Created 4 June 2009
118 Photos
Created 19 May 2009
113 Photos
Created 14 April 2009
81 Photos
Created 6 April 2009
1994 to current day
59 Photos
Created 19 March 2009
74 Photos
Created 17 March 2009
73 Photos
Created 1 March 2009
103 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 16 January 2009
130 Photos
Created 28 December 2008
120 Photos
Created 25 November 2008
107 Photos
Created 23 October 2008
38 Photos
Created 12 October 2008
25 Photos
Created 8 October 2008
45 Photos
Created 21 September 2008
114 Photos
Created 14 September 2008
54 Photos
Created 31 August 2008
49 Photos
Created 22 August 2008
119 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 July 2008
83 Photos
Created 25 June 2008
6 Photos
Created 25 June 2008
12 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 1 June 2008
My work is of an expressionist nature - I capture what I see from life. I draw and paint on location using mostly pastels, inks and occasionally acrylics. Some works are framed but many arent so are easily packaged for posting. You can pay by PayPal or Direct Deposit. I am located on the Sunshine Coast, QLD< Australia
120 Photos
Created 31 May 2008
60 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 May 2008
36 Photos
Created 30 May 2008
38 Photos
Created 30 May 2008
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 30 May 2008
71 Photos
Created 30 May 2008
25 Photos
Created 30 May 2008
Valiam at Lawries Marina
24 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 28 May 2008

The Adventures of Linda and Captain Underpants!

Who: Linda and Bill Anderson. To buy our books 'Sailing in my Sarong' or 'Salvage in my Sarong' for $39.95 +postage, see Paypal/visa button below (or email us: valiam1@hotmail.com)
Port: Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia

Current Position - click on positions for log entr

Linda's books "Sailing in my Sarong" or "Salvage in my Sarong" are A$39.95 each + A$10 postage in Australia for up to 4 books. Other countries please email Linda : valiam1@hotmail.com
Number of copies of each book you would like
Salvage in my Sarong
"You just sit on the boat, pull a few strings and you get there." Bill Anderson aka Captain Underpants