Wendy & Burry Cruising

Back aboard, Headed south from Green Cove Springs, going to the Exhumas.

17 July 2013 | Nassau, New Providence
11 July 2013 | Black Point Settlement
11 July 2013 | Sampson Cay
11 July 2013 | Georgetown
11 July 2013 | Kingston
22 February 2013 | Sampson Cay
18 February 2013 | Waderick Wells
15 February 2013 | Waderick Wells
07 December 2012 | Green Cove Springs
22 May 2012 | Florida (jacksonvillle)
20 May 2012
19 May 2012 | Spanish Wells
19 May 2012 | Northern Exhumas
19 May 2012 | Little Farmers/Black Point
17 May 2012 | Emerald Bay on Great Exhuma
17 May 2012 | Little Farmers Cay
16 May 2012 | Black Point
01 May 2012 | Stanial Cay
11 March 2012 | Center of the Land and Sea Park
08 March 2012 | Shroud Cay

Entry into the Exhuma's Land and Sea Park

08 March 2012 | Shroud Cay
Great weather
So we topped up our gas J Cans at the Highborne Marina and then pulled up the hook at 1000 hrs for a short run to Shroud Cay, ~10nm to our south. Light winds (on the nose) and calm seas as we motored past Norman Wells where Odysseus and Izzy R were anchored. Looked a bit busy for our liking and we were keen on getting to Shroud Cay, where we grabbed a mooring ball.
The Land and Sea Park has placed mooring fields throughout the park. While there are some cruisers who shun this, we think its a great idea. Firstly it protects coral from the clumsy anchorers and also provides the park with a meager income ($20/ni/boat) to help maintain this magnificent treasure. The park is a strict no take zone so the aquatic life as well as land based flora and fauna are flourishing and provide a wonderful sight to see and explore.
We spent two days at Shroud, with day one spend relaxing in the sun and playing on a small beach. Day two we went exploring via dingy, motoring up Sanctuary Creek to Driftwood Hill. Shroud has five mangrove creeks of which 4 are restricted to non motorized vessels, creeks we hope to explore on the way back up north with our kayaks. Shroud is someone unique in that it has so many creeks and a large mangrove area in the center, this provides a huge nursery for a variety of sea life, fish and conch as well as aquatic birds. The ridge off of Driftwood Hill has a bit of history as well, as this was the site of a DEA Observation post during the 80s where they reported on all the aircraft arriving/departing Norman Wells during the drug war.
During our explorations we came across a huge motor yacht anchored in a bay. This multi story 150+'behemoth had all the toys including many water lice (PWC). The most amazing though was an inflatable slide which ran from the top deck and dropped about 80 feet to the water surface. Interestingly only saw crew flirting to and fro in tenders setting up tents and beach buffets, moving water toys and cleaning the mother ship. Never saw any of the passengers except a few on the aft deck under canopies sipping their drinks.
We reluctantly slipped our mooring and headed south on Saturday, vowing to return next month with Wendy's sister. Interestingly as we sailed south to Waderick Wells we heard Merlin on the radio. Turns out our friends Wes and Sheryl from the MRSA days in Md were headed north to Norman Wells. Turns out they were anchored in the same bay as us! Talk about two ships passing in the night, we were two sailboats in the same bay and somehow missed each other.
Comments
Vessel Name: Seahawk X
Vessel Make/Model: Island Trader 41, Ketch
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Crew: Wendy, Burry, Maggie, Bartley (in our hearts)
About: Wendy and Burry have been married for 30+ years and moved aboard Seahawk when they were transfered from Maryland to New Jersey. Threw off the lines fall of 2010 and have been travelling the eastern seaboard and bahamas since.
Extra: We have two children we love a lot and miss, hoping they will visit us more once we are in the tropics lol. Tara is a budding bio scientist, recently married to Chris, and just completed her masters. Michael is in the Navel Reserve and has finished his degree and headed to Saskatoon with Megan.

The Adventures of the Vanderveers

Who: Wendy, Burry, Maggie, Bartley (in our hearts)
Port: Kingston, Ontario