Wendy & Burry Cruising

Back aboard, Headed south from Green Cove Springs, going to the Exhumas.

17 July 2013 | Nassau, New Providence
11 July 2013 | Black Point Settlement
11 July 2013 | Sampson Cay
11 July 2013 | Georgetown
11 July 2013 | Kingston
22 February 2013 | Sampson Cay
18 February 2013 | Waderick Wells
15 February 2013 | Waderick Wells
07 December 2012 | Green Cove Springs
22 May 2012 | Florida (jacksonvillle)
20 May 2012
19 May 2012 | Spanish Wells
19 May 2012 | Northern Exhumas
19 May 2012 | Little Farmers/Black Point
17 May 2012 | Emerald Bay on Great Exhuma
17 May 2012 | Little Farmers Cay
16 May 2012 | Black Point
01 May 2012 | Stanial Cay
11 March 2012 | Center of the Land and Sea Park
08 March 2012 | Shroud Cay

In the Lap of Luxury

17 May 2012 | Emerald Bay on Great Exhuma
Wind blows and blows
So once again we lived up to our nickname "Wind on the Nose" as we pushed south to Emerald Bay. This leg took us on the "outside" off the banks and in Exhuma Sound. We took Little Farmers cut to get there which proved to be bouncy with about a 1/4 mile of standing waves, but once clear we headed south. Once again we lived up to our nickname "wind on the nose" which made progress slow. Fortunately as the day wore on the wind clocked a bit and abated so we got back to above 5 kts.
The entrance to Emerald Bay Marina is tricky. You have to run directly towards the shore through some standing waves and then at the last moment turn hard to port, broadside to the surf, and tuck in behind the short seawall. A few days later we saw a 40' cat depart and it completely disappeared at times.
The Marina at Emerald Bay is owned by Sandels resort. When they bought it construction was not complete, with only two docks having complete service (water/electricity/cable tv). The other docks have only water and are called "unserviced docks" In a brilliant move the marina allows cruisers to use the unserviced docks for $1.00/ft/day. Add to this that they have free showers, free laundry, free internet, morning coffee and a beautiful lounge its a major deal and luxury after two months of island hopping.
Once settled we got ready for the big blow. Extra lines and chafe guards. As the wind built we felt it a lot as it was on the beam. Add to that the surge coming from the inlet and it got uncomfortable for a few days. An almost major crisis, our inflatable fenders started failing. One by one they started turning into pancakes, with seams starting to leak in some and then others the fill tube sheared off. Fortunately Paul and Carol saved the day and lent us a couple to tie us over so I could run to Georgetown and buy three new ones ($100 cab + $80 fenders).
The winds and seas stayed nasty for about a week and a half, not too bad in the Marina but the entrance was intense with high surf. Watching those who ventured out it was scary. 50 degree healing and then after the turn massive pitching. Even the mega yachts were tossed around.
So based on nasty entrance and the esquisite amenities available (including free shopping shuttle to Georgetown on Wednesdays) we ended up staying three weeks, probably a week longer than weather dictated.
Lots to see and do here, beachcombing, sea beaning, dinning out, biking. We found a huge lobster in a hole in the wall but Leo the Lobster remained elusive enough to stay out of Burry's BBQ (didnt help that Wendy wouldnt let him use a spear). The resort even set up a couple of receptions for us. All and all an nice stay.
But time to push on and wrestle ourselves away from the luxuries of Emerald Bay. Odyesseous was already long gone to Long Island, but a new buddy boat (Moon) decided to meander with us up the chain.
Comments
Vessel Name: Seahawk X
Vessel Make/Model: Island Trader 41, Ketch
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Crew: Wendy, Burry, Maggie, Bartley (in our hearts)
About: Wendy and Burry have been married for 30+ years and moved aboard Seahawk when they were transfered from Maryland to New Jersey. Threw off the lines fall of 2010 and have been travelling the eastern seaboard and bahamas since.
Extra: We have two children we love a lot and miss, hoping they will visit us more once we are in the tropics lol. Tara is a budding bio scientist, recently married to Chris, and just completed her masters. Michael is in the Navel Reserve and has finished his degree and headed to Saskatoon with Megan.

The Adventures of the Vanderveers

Who: Wendy, Burry, Maggie, Bartley (in our hearts)
Port: Kingston, Ontario