Wendy & Burry Cruising

Back aboard, Headed south from Green Cove Springs, going to the Exhumas.

17 July 2013 | Nassau, New Providence
11 July 2013 | Black Point Settlement
11 July 2013 | Sampson Cay
11 July 2013 | Georgetown
11 July 2013 | Kingston
22 February 2013 | Sampson Cay
18 February 2013 | Waderick Wells
15 February 2013 | Waderick Wells
07 December 2012 | Green Cove Springs
22 May 2012 | Florida (jacksonvillle)
20 May 2012
19 May 2012 | Spanish Wells
19 May 2012 | Northern Exhumas
19 May 2012 | Little Farmers/Black Point
17 May 2012 | Emerald Bay on Great Exhuma
17 May 2012 | Little Farmers Cay
16 May 2012 | Black Point
01 May 2012 | Stanial Cay
11 March 2012 | Center of the Land and Sea Park
08 March 2012 | Shroud Cay

Sampson Cay

11 July 2013 | Sampson Cay
Sampson Cay is a hidden jewel which many miss being so close to very popular Big Major (swimming pigs) anchorage. We stopped in here as we are not crazy about the very busy Big Major and didnt want to go into Stanial yet.
The anchorage is surprizingly well protected with hardly any current. You anchor of the West/outside dock of the Sampson Cay Resort in about 9' of water in good holding sand. Great swimming right off the boat.
The small resort has a store, marina, condos, and a small restaurant. The staff is super friendly, but the owner is a bit excentric so the availability of fuel and access to showers/laundry depends on how busy the marina ($3.50/ft) is and the mood of the owner. While we were there we had no problem with showers, laundry, store or restaurant. Fuel, in particular gas, was in short supply so that was unavailable to us. Water always was at the normal 0.50/gal.
Behind the resort was a large tidal flat with the eastern half of Sampson on the other side. Dingying over there at mid tide we found a short trail and found an amazing stretch of beach, rocky to the north, sandy to the south, just perfect for beachcoming. Found an Urchin nursary with litterly hunderds of small to very large urchins. Back at the dingy we found a depression/bowl of about 2m of water that was about 10m across forming a natural hot tub. The high salinity and hot temp meant you could float and soak with no effort, quite the feeling.
A few trails along the western arm of the Cay were nice for early am walks with Maggie. Had to keep a tight leash with the free range chickens walking around. The other interesting aspect were all the nurse sharks which cruised around the docks and over by some of the small snorkel sites. Burry and Jason snorkeled with then on one of our visits and was quite the experiance. Initial encounter makes you suck in a bit of air!
Sampson Cay is a gorgeous place for a few days, definately recommend it be added on a cruisers place to stop list.
Comments
Vessel Name: Seahawk X
Vessel Make/Model: Island Trader 41, Ketch
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Crew: Wendy, Burry, Maggie, Bartley (in our hearts)
About: Wendy and Burry have been married for 30+ years and moved aboard Seahawk when they were transfered from Maryland to New Jersey. Threw off the lines fall of 2010 and have been travelling the eastern seaboard and bahamas since.
Extra: We have two children we love a lot and miss, hoping they will visit us more once we are in the tropics lol. Tara is a budding bio scientist, recently married to Chris, and just completed her masters. Michael is in the Navel Reserve and has finished his degree and headed to Saskatoon with Megan.

The Adventures of the Vanderveers

Who: Wendy, Burry, Maggie, Bartley (in our hearts)
Port: Kingston, Ontario