Wendy & Burry Cruising

Back aboard, Headed south from Green Cove Springs, going to the Exhumas.

17 July 2013 | Nassau, New Providence
11 July 2013 | Black Point Settlement
11 July 2013 | Sampson Cay
11 July 2013 | Georgetown
11 July 2013 | Kingston
22 February 2013 | Sampson Cay
18 February 2013 | Waderick Wells
15 February 2013 | Waderick Wells
07 December 2012 | Green Cove Springs
22 May 2012 | Florida (jacksonvillle)
20 May 2012
19 May 2012 | Spanish Wells
19 May 2012 | Northern Exhumas
19 May 2012 | Little Farmers/Black Point
17 May 2012 | Emerald Bay on Great Exhuma
17 May 2012 | Little Farmers Cay
16 May 2012 | Black Point
01 May 2012 | Stanial Cay
11 March 2012 | Center of the Land and Sea Park
08 March 2012 | Shroud Cay

Black Point, Great Guana Cay

11 July 2013 | Black Point Settlement
Black Point, on Great Guana Cay, is probably our favorite spot in the Bahamas. We seem to always be drawn back there. The anchorage is not overly well protected, N to S, but the holding is real good and the people there are amazing.
The anchorage is easily accessed either from the south from the nav line going out to Doltham Cut or from the NW if coming from the south along the banks. Good holding and given the gradual slope means the cats can get real close and away from us mono hulls. There is no fuel/marina at Black Point, a very good dingy dock, as well as Rockside laundry has a small dock.
There is a small grocery store as well a small fruit/veggie stand so some basic/top up provisioning can be done there. Two main restaurants. Lorrianes, has a bar, restaurant, internet cafe and has a weekly buffet dinner when there are a lot of boats anchored. DeShammons (our favorite) has great food, wonderful lady who runs/owns it and has a weekly bbq special with ribs/chicken/mac&Cheese for $15! She also makes the best pizza in all of the Exumas, making it great stop after a few run drinks down at the Scorpios bar.
Rockside Laundry is a great benifit to the cruisers, with a super clean, modern laundry, wifi access, a store (great patties), showers and even haircuts/braiding! This one spot alone makes a stop well worthwhile. Added benifet is that Ida, owner/operator, is a wealth of info about the Cay and can provide excellent advice.
There are some great long trails/roads for hiking, giving access to some nice beaches (both sound and bank side) and a blow hole. Also a short hike to the SW will bring you to the "Garden of Eden" where Willy and his grandson will tour you through his natural sculptures made from driftwood. As well he has a large variety of fruit tree and it quickly turns into a local horticultural lesson.
A short dingy ride to the North and there is Little Creek, a magrove creek which at mid tide you can take and get to a superb area on the eastern shore with great beachcoming. Across Doltham Cut is Guana Cay South which is the home to a rare bread of very friendly/inquisitive iguanas. As well lots of sand dollars!
Overall Black Point remains one of our favorite stops. Should you add this to your visit list, please take along some school supplies as the school there is always in need. Ida, owner of Rockside Laundry is the best initial contact to drop off the supplies.
Comments
Vessel Name: Seahawk X
Vessel Make/Model: Island Trader 41, Ketch
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Crew: Wendy, Burry, Maggie, Bartley (in our hearts)
About: Wendy and Burry have been married for 30+ years and moved aboard Seahawk when they were transfered from Maryland to New Jersey. Threw off the lines fall of 2010 and have been travelling the eastern seaboard and bahamas since.
Extra: We have two children we love a lot and miss, hoping they will visit us more once we are in the tropics lol. Tara is a budding bio scientist, recently married to Chris, and just completed her masters. Michael is in the Navel Reserve and has finished his degree and headed to Saskatoon with Megan.

The Adventures of the Vanderveers

Who: Wendy, Burry, Maggie, Bartley (in our hearts)
Port: Kingston, Ontario