The Tale of Two Shadows

31 October 2016 | Guanajuato, MX
02 February 2016 | Guanajuato, Mexico
29 September 2015 | Guanajuato, Mexico
29 June 2015 | Guanajuato, Mexico
16 May 2015 | Guanajuato, Mexico
05 May 2015 | Guanajuato, Mexico
24 March 2015 | La Paz, MX
15 March 2015 | La Cruz, MX
22 January 2015 | La Cruz, MX
29 November 2014 | La Paz, MX
12 October 2014 | La Paz, MX
20 September 2014 | La Paz, MX
14 September 2014 | La Paz, MX
04 August 2014 | La Paz, MX
31 July 2014 | La Paz, MX
24 June 2014 | La Paz, MX
24 May 2014 | La Paz, MX
14 April 2014 | Mazatlan
22 March 2014 | Mazatlán
06 February 2014 | La Cruz anchorage

We Did WHAT?!?

29 September 2015 | Guanajuato, Mexico
Vanessa Kelly
So much time has passed and so much has happened. So I will try to make a long story short.

LAND-DWELLERS AGAIN!

Well the big news is that we fell in love with Guanajuato, as we mentioned. AND we bought a house. We had been in GTO approximately 3 months, and we and the cats realized that we actually like living on land again. We like having toilets that flush without having to do 2-3 procedures (and later having to empty it somewhere), big rooms in which two people can pass each other without getting intimate, and I wanted a garden again. I want to get my hands in soil and smell the earth.

So we ended up looking at a number of places in GTO with the thought that we would split our time between here during the summer and hurricane season, and the coast during the winter months. We ended up not finding that ideal arrangement of a place that people would rent during our time away, but we could also have for our use whenever we need it. So we decided to sell our boat after much deliberation. We realized that we really DO NOT like the overnight passages. Some people do, and can do well and actually look forward to it, but most passages in Mexico up and down the west coast require at least one overnight to get to different areas, at least south of the Sea of Cortez. And the water is not as clear and comfortable as we thought it would be. AND it is unbearably hot on the coast during the summer. Anyway, we couldn’t afford both, and we really want to travel more to places inaccessible by water! It is easier to get people to cat sit/house sit when you are in a house, versus a boat. And we DO want to travel more, both back home, and to other countries. Having a house and boat tends to make you do one or the other and not have the freedom to explore this world more.

So we are good with our decision, particularly when we found “the place.” It is a larger house than we need, certainly, but hey, we have been aboard a 50’ boat for over 17 years! We are ready for a little space. We worked with a great real estate agent who goes above and beyond than anything we have experienced in the US. Of course, we haven’t bought a house in 20+ years, but this agent, Gerardo, has helped us open a bank account in Mexico, which we had been trying to do for over a year. He has helped with translation in numerous situations, and he is the very epitome of integrity. Funny and kind. Anyway, the first deal fell through, thank goodness (for numerous reasons) and the second deal went through. The place was well-priced, so much below what we could buy in the US, especially given our age and the difficulty people have buying a house when they have no employment. The interesting piece to all of this is that the place was built 30+ years ago, out of stone, cement and brick, but no one has lived in it for approximately 15 years, and the last owners cleared it out, I mean ALL lights, appliances, doors, plumbing fixtures, and in some places pipes! The woman who owned it was from San Francisco, and just never moved into it, and put it up for sale 6 months ago. It is a little out of town (about a mile) which is fine for us, but many gringos moving here prefer being in town. So we went to work getting the plumbing up and running, having a large propane gas tank put on the roof which is what people do here. We have had a great contractor and his worker and if it wasn’t for them, we wouldn’t have been able to move in yet. It is amazing to see how hard these guys work; to see workmen taking a 150 gallon propane tank up our stairs, then up a ladder to the roof. It was huge, and these guys worked diligently to get it up there. And the ladder they used was put together with pieces of madera (wood) that were likely scraps from everywhere around here. I wouldn’t climb one, but they seem to think nothing of it.

The house is a 3 bedroom, 3 ½ bath place with 15-18 foot tile and beam ceilings, and tiled floors. Lots of use of tiles in the kitchen and bathrooms as well. There are two chimineas, or fireplaces, one in our master suite. The bathtub in our suite is more the size of a pool! We would use half the water in town to fill it, so we are likely going to remodel that space. It already has a 4x5 foot shower in it, again with 15 foot ceilings! Many of the ceilings in the bedrooms are “boveda,” (arched brick ceilings), including the guest bathrooms. The house has lots of character and great views of a forested valley and the town of GTO beyond. We are up in the mountains, essentially. Did I mention it also has a pool? The pool needs some work (resealing it, and I would like to have it tiled). It also has a rooftop terrace that has a covered dining/entertainment area. We finally have a place that friends and family can come visit and not feel cramped. There is a rock wall around the property, so the place has a courtyard in front that also has room for 2-3 cars, and in the detached studio – for Ron – there is a large roll-away steel door that a giant truck could easily fit in. The landscaping is mature with bougainvillea, pine and ironwood trees, pomegranate and limes. I might want to add avocado and mango trees, and put in vegetable and flower gardens. There is a stone room beneath the house for storage for anything from tools to wine. I think of the place as Italian Renaissance, and Mexican with a little contemporary thrown it. I will include some photos of the place, both before and some photos of the transition.

Another synchronistic event was that the day we had our offer accepted, we returned to our rental house in GTO to an email stating that the VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owner) we had rented in San Miguel de Allende for the months of August, September and October had been sold and that the new owners would not honor our rental contract. The guy was very apologetic, and offered to help us find a new place quickly – this was in July, mind you. So we had no place to go. The VRBO we were in in GTO ended up being a very negative experience, which is a whole other story, so we found a place to rent until our house was ready to move in. We talked with our real estate agent and he said that we could probably move in, depending on the closing, the first or second week of August. So everything was working out beautifully. I wrote the guy back and congratulated him on selling his home and informed him that we bought our own place! We really found after several trips to San Miguel, that we liked Guanajuato better – less expensive, more culturally interesting to us, the atmosphere of a University town, the fascinating winding streets and callejones, and less gringos!

So we have been on one long fun, but expensive buying expedition. When you move from a boat (with no furniture or appliances) to a place which is need of EVERYTHING, that becomes your job. We have been traveling to other nearby towns for appliances, mattresses, plumbing, hardware, etc. There is a Home Depot in Leon, two great consignment furniture stores and an ironworker in San Miguel de Allende, a wonderful cabinet maker in Dolores Hidalgo, mattresses in Irapuato! Every week we get calls from Spanish-speaking personnel setting up a delivery time. One day they called about delivering a “fundo” which means ranch, farm, or cover, or cover that has a fan or a fan, depending on who you consult - a neighbor, gringo or online dictionary. Anyway, we didn’t know what to expect. Turns out it was a cover for our outdoor grill – who knew?! Deliveries have been either spot-on on time, or even early. We haven’t experienced the stories of people never showing up or coming hours late. Well, okay, the carpenter for our doors was a few days late, but other than that…. Additionally we have had some time pressure to get the house ready. We have had an anniversary trip planned for a while to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary in Italy in September. Ron has never been and I have really wanted him to experience it, and cat/house sitters have been planning to come, even if we were staying in a VRBO, which was the original plan. We moved in Saturday, August 29th. The first night was a full moon, and the next night it rained and we lit a fire in the two-sided fireplace between the dining room and living room/open space. It was very beautiful and felt so peaceful and warm. We are very happy with the house and the way it is coming along. We like Guanajuato, and the people around us. We’ve met the neighbors, and the owners of a good restaurant about 4 doors down; past the “House of Laments!” A little bizarre. Everyone has been kind and helpful. One neighbor cleans houses and is helping us with this one. She has been wonderful and works so hard. It took us a while to come to a price, as I have never had anyone clean my house before, and she wanted me to tell her a price. She speaks no English, nor do any of the workers, so we are learning more every day. She finally gave me a quote for 5 hours of work, but ends up staying about 8 hours one day a week. I have tried to pay her more, particularly since we have had guests and the house hadn’t really been cleaned in years, but she absolutely refuses any propina (tip). For those of you in the US who have house cleaners, you would be amazed at the prices here. It is very difficult for me to know how little I pay her, and how hard she works, but I also know that this is the norm here.

WE'VE BEEN ROBBED!

Anyway, that is all the good news! Now for the not-so-good, sucky news. We were on the way to Home Depot, yet again, driving through a town between GTO and Leon. Ron wanted us to pull over and grab a quick breakfast sandwich at McDonald’s. We were the only people in the place and the only car in the parking lot, on a very busy highway. This was 9:00 am on Friday, August 28th. We had just ordered and the cleaning woman started talking to us rapidly in Spanish. Well, our Spanish still isn’t that good yet, and we didn’t understand until she pointed out at our car. We saw another car beside it, and a guy had apparently smashed in our window, reached in and stole Ron’s backpack. Well, he hit a gold mine! Ron had our banking info in it, which he had been meaning to leave at the house, but sometimes it is so hard to cash our own checks here – even in the Mexican bank where we have an account (!), that we carry that info in case we are in another branch of the bank in another town. That info has our signatures in it, and they also got our check book, so they immediately cashed about 8 or 9 checks, totaling $100,000 pesos. That is about $6000 in US dollars. They also got some loose keys to our house, a MAP with a photo of the house on it (!), which we have been giving out to these furniture delivery guys. And if that wasn’t enough, they got an extra key to our car! As well as about 5,000 pesos (around US $300). And Ron’s Kindle. A few other odds and ends. That is the bad part. The good part is that they did not get my purse, which they appeared to have missed. I had locked the car, and had the keys in my hand, but didn’t think we would be in there long enough for something like that to happen. My purse had my visa, all my identification, credit cards, cash, phone, etc., so that was a good thing. They also missed my iPad. We were so in shock that we didn’t call the bank immediately, plus we didn’t think they could cash our checks without verification from our bank manager. So we don’t know if someone in the bank was in on the deal or not. The police are investigating it, I guess. The employees at McDonald’s said this kind of thing has been happening frequently to them and the hotel next door. There were employees and guests outside the hotel when this happened. The employees said it is always the same car and method of smash and grab, and that the police haven’t done anything. But the police say the McD’s employees always claim nothing happened. So who knows? Maybe they feel threatened.

We have been to the police three times now, and to the bank a couple of times. The bank said the checks shouldn’t have been cashed without ID and my signature card on file. But they were. So they should reimburse us, it just hasn’t happened yet. Anyway, we have postponed our trip to Italy. Waaah. We just felt too stressed to do it, and needed to do so much to get the house ready for our catsitters.

FRIENDS & FAMILY - YEA!

The really positive side of our canceled trip to Italy was that we got to spend three weeks with friends from San Francisco, and then my sister and her husband, and their very funny and fully bilingual friends from Roatan, Honduras. The house is big enough for everyone, and we were able to continue to work on it as we enjoyed company and some sight-seeing. We have a restaurant a few doors down, and we are only a mile out of town, so we made lots of trips down to explore, eat out, and take side trips to San Miguel. The countryside is beautiful right now, with the record amount of rain that this area has gotten, so everywhere there are varying shades of green, wild flowers and flowering trees. It is stunning, and we are in mountain country at 7200 ft. altitude. Beautiful sunsets and skies which remind me of New Mexico. Pine trees and flowering cactus!

We have been in the house for about 4 weeks now. The original move-in date didn’t work so we rented a place for another month, and moved in the last few days of August. We couldn’t move in earlier as we had no appliances, doors on any rooms except our bathroom, faucet handles or shower heads, or lighting. We have since added a solar hot water system, added additional bars to the wrought iron fences to keep the cats in, installed two electric fences, added fencing to the upper outside terrace to keep the cats from getting to the electric fence or to the neighbors’ rooftops, outfitted three bedrooms, the living room, the sun room/office/media area, dining room and kitchen. And we have started adding plants to the courtyard and backyard. Hopefully the photos in the photo gallery will show some of the changes.

RENEWAL OF OUR VOWS

Ron suggested that since we weren’t going to Italy, and my sister Barbara and brother-in-law Dave were going to be here, that we should renew our marriage vows. Dave presided over our marriage 25 years ago, so we thought this would be fitting. We invited our real-estate agent and his girlfriend (who speaks no English), as we have become friends with them. He actually dropped all that he was doing when we were robbed and went to the police with us to help translate, then went to the bank with us to help with them as well. We also invited an American friend of ours who is from Taos, and a mutual friend from here in GTO. So the vows were repeated in Spanish, and we had lots of good food and wine and even danced a little. We haven’t had room to dance in a long time! It turned into a very magical evening, and we are glad that we stayed here rather than go to Italy, and that we got married in our new house, with some new and old friends and family. I’m also including some photos from that evening.

So that’s it for now. Like I said, the house is large, and there is always room for visitors - hint, hint. And I have been wondering about whether to keep up the blog, since it is the “Tale of Two Shadows,” and we are no longer sailing. I will let you know…

Abrazos and bezos (hugs and kisses),
Vanessa & Ron
Comments
Vessel Name: Two Shadows
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 462 Ketch
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Vanessa Kelly & Ron Chapel
About:
We have been living aboard for 14+ years in San Francisco Bay, but we are now preparing for an extended voyage in 2013 - to anywhere warmer than here! Our "crew" also consists of our two cats, Jackson and Samantha, a brother and sister pair of mutts we rescued from the SPCA about 4 years ago. [...]
Extra: Now living inland in Mexico and loving tierra firma again. Never regretted our sailing life though!
Two Shadows's Photos - Main
Local scenes, dogs, construction projects, architecture and gardens!
79 Photos
Created 30 October 2016
Photos from hikes, picnics, adventures, exploring this State and City of Guanajuato, Mexico
42 Photos
Created 2 February 2016
Photos of our house, before and in the transition, and of our marriage vow renewal ceremony.
45 Photos
Created 29 September 2015
Archeological site, tequila factory, and additional views of Guanajuato. Sorry, but many photos are out of order. They changed the system on me!
70 Photos
Created 29 June 2015
Various shots of the beautiful enchanting town, as well as a few of the rental house in which we are staying.
61 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
34 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
An assortment of photos from La Paz (Dia de los Muertos left-overs), crossing the sea again, La Cruz, Sayulita, and general life on the water!
81 Photos
Created 15 March 2015
Shots of town, people, rain, pets and the boat.
16 Photos
Created 12 October 2014
Various photos of sites about town - La Paz style
52 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
Photos around and after the Hurricane
17 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
This is prior to Hurricane Odile, or Odie, as we are referring to it.
6 Photos
Created 14 September 2014
Piedras y Pajaros is the name of this Stones and Birds Park. I love this little place, right in the middle of a block of small stores, tiny restaurants, and boarded up or fenced off properties.
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2014
Self-explanatory!
21 Photos
Created 31 July 2014
Photos town, the marina, and visiting local hospitals...
33 Photos
Created 24 June 2014
Shots from La Paz
20 Photos
Created 25 May 2014
"Officially" entering the Sea of Cortez, and photos of La Paz
118 Photos
Created 24 May 2014
More Mazatlan photos, pics of friends, and of my Birthday dinner and ride through town.
49 Photos
Created 14 April 2014
Shots at Stone Island, which is where we anchored after our 33 hour sail, before heading into a Mazatlan marina. We also have some older shots of the beautiful town of Mazatlan
66 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
Photos from our travels around Banderas Bay in February and March of 2014
74 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
Scenes around the small town of La Cruz and the larger town of PV
48 Photos
Created 5 February 2014
Banderas Bay, La Cruz and Puerto Vallarta
17 Photos
Created 16 January 2014
Exploring the town of San Blas, taking a Jungle tour, and sailing to Banderas Bay
113 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Additional photos of beautiful Mazatlan, including a nature preserve
48 Photos
Created 12 January 2014
Exploring Mazatlán with visiting friends and on our own. Many were taken with my cell phone, so please forgive me for the quality!
60 Photos
Created 11 December 2013
Leaving Cabo San Lucas for the small town of San Jose and on to the remote bay of Los Frailes
35 Photos
Created 25 November 2013
From Santa Maria Bay to Cabo San Lucas
32 Photos
Created 14 November 2013
Further adventures down the Baja Peninsula
47 Photos
Created 12 November 2013
This includes photos from the pre-sail events through the first leg to Turtle Bay Mexico.
54 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
18 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
Newport beach shots
8 Photos
Created 3 October 2013
46 Photos
Created 23 September 2013
San Luis Obispo, rounding Point Conception, Santa Barbara and on to Oxnard, CA
33 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
Photos of the trip south to Morro Bay, and a few of the scenes here.
30 Photos
Created 5 September 2013
12 Photos
Created 29 August 2013
11 Photos
Created 24 August 2013
Leaving Sausalito, out the Gate to Half Moon Bay
18 Photos
Created 17 August 2013
14 Photos
Created 9 July 2013
2 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Due to our old refrigeration failure, we were forced to remove and replace the refrigeration which, as they say on a boat, led to a complete remodel.
20 Photos
Created 16 December 2012
12 Photos
Created 15 December 2012