Vanish - Making The Switch From Sail to Power

29 October 2016 | Georgia, USA
29 October 2016 | Georgia, USA
08 October 2016 | Brunswick, Georgia, USA
07 October 2016 | Hotel on West Side of Hwy I-95, Brunswick, GA, USA
07 October 2016 | Brunswick, Georgia, USA
06 October 2016 | Brunswick, Georgia, USA
05 October 2016 | Brunswick, Georgia, USA
04 October 2016 | Photo off Outer Banks near Cape Lookout, North Carolina.
27 September 2016 | Piankatank River, Chesapeake Bay, Virginia, USA
22 September 2016 | Current Position - Sassafras River, Chesapeake Bay, Maryland, USA
16 September 2016 | Orient, Long Island, New York, USA
11 September 2016 | Ebenecook Harbor near Boothbay Harbor, Maine, USA
07 September 2016 | Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
05 September 2016 | Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
04 September 2016 | North Haven, Vinalhaven, Maine, USA
28 August 2016 | Castine, Maine, USA
27 August 2016 | Belfast, Maine, USA
12 August 2016 | Mount Washington, New Hampshire, USA
06 August 2016 | Canada/USA Border Crossing
04 August 2016 | La Malbaie, Quebec, Canada

Debby Does Tampa

27 June 2012 | Tropical Storm Debby Chasing Vanish
Vicki
We arrived in Palmetto, Florida, just south of the city of Tampa on 25th May, 2012 eager to see our new vessel for the first time. So much has happened since the decision to purchase Vanish and time has flown by with the various modifications and delays associated with fitting her out.

After moving onboard we found there were many issues after living on her at the Marlow Shipyard for 3 weeks and various systems either needed replacing or fixing. As it turned out, even though I was more than ready to scream, cry or strangle the closest person to me due to the malaise I felt from port rot, it was a good opportunity to ensure that we used everything possible to find the failures and get them fixed. Everyone at Marlow Marine were extremely professional and helped us in every way possible to ensure we were comfortable and all issues were dealt with as quickly as possible. We feel fortunate in the fact that we met so many hard working individuals whose only goal was to produce a great product. Our thanks go to David and Barbara Marlow, Jarlath, Mike, Joe, George, Craig, Richard, Tommy, Phil, Mark, Cecil, Lee, Don and so many others plus all the contractors who came onboard to service electronics, boat covers and much more. If I have forgotten anyone or you haven't been mentioned, please know that we are extremely grateful for all your help.

We finally said our goodbyes and left the dock on Wednesday 20th June with Dirk and Julie Schoombee our crew when we felt the boat was seaworthy and in good working order. Luckily it coincided with Maynard finding a perfect weather window to take us from Tampa down to Key Biscayne at the bottom of Florida. We had to go overnight on our first day taking 4 hour watches with 2 up on each watch as we ended up arriving late at our intended anchorage of Port Charlotte and didn't want to risk going into an unknown harbour in the dark. We had many 30 kn rain squalls and lumpy seas and I can tell you that if we'd been on Cruz Control, it would have been an awful night busily reefing sails, getting wet, flopping around in the dark after the squalls had past and dodging lightning. In this vessel, it was very comfortable and the weather we encountered didn't bother us at all. Both Julie and I felt a bit "off" as neither of us had been to sea for many months yet Iron Guts Maynard and Dirk felt no queasiness at all. It was quite dark and gloomy and rained most of the way and the air temp was at least the same temperature as the water, if not higher, with high humidity. Hurricanes form in water 28 degrees and above. Worryingly, the sea temp in Tampa Baywas 32 deg and we found that even the ocean temp was 29.8 deg!!! Surely, this cannot be right. We had to get out of "The Box", an area known to have hurricanes with the north limit being 35' N, which runs between Cape Hatteras and Cape Lookout, North Carolina, and the eastern limit is 55' E, the southern limit around 12' N and the western limit is around 100'W, in fact most of the Gulf of Mexico.

On Thursday morning, we anchored near a town called Marathon in Key Biscayne in an ocean roadstead although it was quite comfortable as the swell was minimal. Cuba was just to our south about 90 miles away. A 25 kn southerly was forecast to come in on Sunday but as it turned out, when we got up on Friday morning and checked the weather forecast, a tropical storm had formed overnight off Belize and later named called Tropical Storm Debby. It was forecast to go to Tampa, right where we'd been sitting for the last month!! The decision was made to outrun this storm and get as far north as possible by all means before it crossed over Tampa and then onto the east side of Florida. We had intended going to the Bahamas for a couple of days but decided that it was just too risky to spend any time in these waters with record high sea temps and the possibility of more hurricanes. We kept thinking we'd call into Georgia or the Carolinas, but the track of the storm showed it going through these areas so we decided to just keep going.

Luckily, we had very good sea conditions so we were making around 300 miles per day. The most economical speed for us is around 9 knots but when you add the north flowing hot current of the Gulf Stream, we were doing somewhere between 11 and 12 knots SOG (Speed Over Ground) so there was no problem doing our 300 mile days. At times we were around 150 miles offshore going through rain squalls with lightning and 30+ knot winds which we all agreed were very welcome as they cleaned the salt off the rails and decks nicely and we didn't even have to don our wet weather gear but the sea was only up to 1 meter. We kept an eye on the Raymarine Radar which showed TS Debby steadily heading for the west coast of Florida. It definitely looked too close for comfort for my liking.

There have now been 3 tropical storms since we arrived in Florida in the last 3 weeks. We've been really desperate to get out of Florida before getting caught. The Tampa area received inches of rain and was under a tornado watch and the wind on top of the Skyway Bridge, right near the Marlow Marina, was encountering 70 mph winds and was closed so we just got out of there with only one day to spare. We were so lucky not to get caught in all the rough seas and feet of rain they experienced. It was one of the loneliest trips we've ever made as we only saw one other pleasure vessel the entire trip which was a yacht way out to sea off South Carolina. We had a couple of uninvited guests onboard in the form of flying fish and one poor little guy must have been flying at lightning speed as he hit Vanish's hull so hard, the impact literally popped his little eyes out of their sockets. Now that's gonna hurt.

We rounded Cape Hatteras, once dubbed the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" due to its treacherous currents, shoals and storms at 4am on Monday 25th June and were looking forward to just moseying into a nice quiet anchorage in the Chesapeake Bay area. As we kept looking at our Sirius System which displays live real time national weather direct from the satellite, we noticed and heard warnings on the radio and saw a line of storms heading right across the Bay just as we were due to enter. The sky darkened and a roll cloud with low white clouds in front of it kept approaching. There were patches of light green in the cloud as well indicating hail. We were hit with 60 knot winds and with our speed of 10 knots SOG, we had 70 knots across the bow with driving rain and some hail. Being a weather fanatic, I quickly switched on the tv and saw we were under a red warning area for tornadoes too. Time to switch OFF the tv. Well that's just great isn't it!!! As if we aren't tired enough, we get a kick in the pants on our arrival. Oh yes, and there were Pan Pans every 10 minutes to keep watch for a bald black man wearing no shirt and brown shorts apparently in the water right in the channel where we were heading so we also had to keep a sharp lookout for him although we did not see him nor a reported catamaran adrift in the Bay. Suddenly we heard a terrible sound and Maynard yelled that something broke off the flybridge bow. It turned out to be a 5 ft length of lexan 1/2" thick which completely shattered in the strong wind and went sailing overboard. It was just luck that it didn't destroy our radar towers, satphone and other instruments on top of the flybridge.

As if that wasn't enough, we had a Canadian warship coming up astern and then the radio came to life again when the Virginia Pilot saw us on their AIS system and called Vanish, Vanish, Vanish, to warn us he was on a deep draft vessel taking up most of the channel coming our way. In near zero visibility and torrential rain we decided it was time to quit the channel as with the squalls and thick bolts of lightning hitting all around us. What next! Stay calm Vicki!

I always take comfort in our dear friend's, Nick Stump's, words about storms at sea. "Ah, Vicki, they're nothing to worry about; they pass in no time," and sure enough, the storm passed in no more than 25 minutes. We made our way into the Bay where we found a nice quiet anchorage just outside the Old Point Comfort Marina with one other yacht near Fort Monroe, Norfolk, Virginia which was built just after the War of 1812 in a place called Hampton Roads at the southern end of Chesapeake Bay (one of the largest natural harbours in the world). We've done around 1,146 miles since we left last Wednesday and have been travelling for 6 days. It is very satisfying to have completed our first big leg of our journey successfully and in extreme comfort even though we are currently heading away from Australia. We've had to make some adjustments to our schedule but will try to make the most of our cruising season in the northern part of the USA before heading south again in the next few months and re-aligning ourselves with the cruising seasons. Conversations have gone something like, "Um, let's go to the Bahamas. Hmm. It's in The Box. Ok, lets go to Greenland. Oh, yeah, we're too late in the season to go that far now. All right, how 'bout Belize? No, too much risk of a hurricane there too. No worries, let's try Maine and take it from there."

Our Vanish is heavy right now with a year's worth of spare parts and sufficient oil and filters to not require outside assistance until we get to Australia. We thought this was a good idea as we intended going to South America. Now that we're in the US, these spares are just non paying passengers right now until we head to more remote areas. I wonder what conversation awaits me tomorrow?
Comments
Vessel Name: Vanish
Vessel Make/Model: Marlow Voyager 76LR
Hailing Port: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Crew: Maynard and Vicki
Home Page: sailblogs.com/member/vanish
Vanish's Photos - Main
Brunswick, Georgia, USA
10 Photos
Created 29 October 2016
Post Hurricane Matthew, Brunswick, GA, USA
15 Photos
Created 8 October 2016
Brunswick, GA Hurricane Matthew
4 Photos
Created 7 October 2016
Hurricane Matthew
5 Photos
Created 6 October 2016
Brunswick, Georgia, USA
10 Photos
Created 5 October 2016
Chesapeake Bay, VA to Brunswick, GA
15 Photos
Created 4 October 2016
New York to Maryland, USA
10 Photos
Created 22 September 2016
Maine to Long Island, USA
20 Photos
Created 16 September 2016
Maine, USA
8 Photos
Created 11 September 2016
Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
3 Photos
Created 7 September 2016
Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
3 Photos
Created 7 September 2016
Vinalhaven, Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
5 Photos
Created 4 September 2016
Maine, USA
5 Photos
Created 28 August 2016
Maine, USA
15 Photos
Created 27 August 2016
New Hampshire to Maine, USA
20 Photos
Created 22 August 2016
Canada/USA Border
13 Photos
Created 21 August 2016
Saguaney to La Malbaie, Quebec, Canada
28 Photos
Created 20 August 2016
Quebec, Canada
19 Photos
Created 14 August 2016
3 Photos
Created 26 July 2016
Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
11 Photos
Created 19 July 2016
Maine, USA
4 Photos
Created 7 July 2016
Camden, Maine, USA
2 Photos
Created 6 July 2016
Maine, USA
9 Photos
Created 3 July 2016
Boothbay, Maine, SA.
10 Photos
Created 2 July 2016
Ebenecook Harbour, near Southport, Maine, USA
7 Photos
Created 2 July 2016
Maine, USA
5 Photos
Created 27 June 2016
Rhode Island to Maine, USA
17 Photos
Created 19 June 2016
16 Photos
Created 12 June 2016
Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island, USA
9 Photos
Created 11 June 2016
Noyack Bay, nr Sag Harbor, Long Island, New York
7 Photos
Created 11 June 2016
Kicked out by Tropical Storm Bonnie
11 Photos
Created 9 June 2016
Cape Lookout, North Carolina, USA
8 Photos
Created 7 June 2016
Georgia, USA
10 Photos
Created 27 October 2015
North Carolina to Georgia, USA
4 Photos
Created 27 September 2015
North Carolina, USA
4 Photos
Created 25 September 2015
New York to North Carolina, USA
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2015
New York to North Carolina, USA
11 Photos
Created 18 September 2015
Eatons Neck, Long Island, New York, USA
2 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
Massachusetts and Long Island, New York, USA
9 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
Maine to Massachusetts, USA
11 Photos
Created 9 September 2015
Maine, USA
34 Photos
Created 31 August 2015
Maine, USA
18 Photos
Created 6 August 2015
Belfast, Maine, USA
14 Photos
Created 31 July 2015
Maine, USA
17 Photos
Created 7 July 2015
Maine, USA
5 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
Maine, USA
4 Photos
Created 27 June 2015
Massachusetts, USA
9 Photos
Created 23 June 2015
Norfolk, Virginia to Mattapoisett, Massachussets, USA
16 Photos
Created 17 June 2015
ICW Beaufort, North Carolina, to Norfolk, Virginia, USA
16 Photos
Created 12 June 2015
Beaufort, North Carolina, USA
7 Photos
Created 8 June 2015
2015 Brunswick, Georgia to Beaufort, North Carolina
12 Photos
Created 4 June 2015
USA 2014
18 Photos
Created 12 September 2014
South Carolina, USA
6 Photos
Created 17 May 2014
South Carolina, USA
8 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
Bahamas
7 Photos
Created 7 May 2014
The Bahamas
7 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
End of Year 2013
6 Photos
Created 30 December 2013
Bahamas
11 Photos
Created 15 December 2013
Exumas, Bahamas
3 Photos
Created 7 December 2013
Panama to Bahamas
17 Photos
Created 1 December 2013
Jamaica
12 Photos
Created 25 November 2013
Jamaica
13 Photos
Created 23 November 2013
Panama
4 Photos
Created 19 November 2013
Bocas del Toro, Panama
17 Photos
Created 13 November 2013
Bocas del Toro Region, Panama
19 Photos
Created 4 November 2013
Panama
3 Photos
Created 26 October 2013
Bocas del Toro, Panama
24 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
Bocas del Toro, Panama
1 Photo
Created 16 October 2013
Panama
5 Photos
Created 15 October 2013
Panama
7 Photos
Created 11 October 2013
Panama
21 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
Kuna Yala, Panama
11 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
Panama
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
Kuna Yala, Panama San Blas Islands
11 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
San Blas Islands, Panama
7 Photos
Created 13 September 2013
Santa Marta, Colombia
9 Photos
Created 8 September 2013
Colombia
6 Photos
Created 28 August 2013
Colombia, South America
25 Photos
Created 26 May 2013
Colombia, South America
13 Photos
Created 19 May 2013
Dominican Republic
20 Photos
Created 13 May 2013
Exploring the Interior of the Dominican Republic
26 Photos
Created 24 April 2013
Samana Bay to La Romana, Dominican Republic
12 Photos
Created 19 April 2013
Samana Bay, Dominican Republic
11 Photos
Created 12 April 2013
Samana Bay, Dominican Republic
10 Photos
Created 10 April 2013
Dominican Republic
12 Photos
Created 5 April 2013
Turks & Caicos
10 Photos
Created 25 March 2013
Exumas, The Bahamas
8 Photos
Created 19 March 2013
Exuma, The Bahamas
21 Photos
Created 15 March 2013
Exuma, The Bahamas
20 Photos
Created 12 March 2013
Exumas, The Bahamas
7 Photos
Created 8 March 2013
Exhumas, The Bahamas
11 Photos
Created 5 March 2013
Eleuthera
30 Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Eleuthera, The Bahamas
12 Photos
Created 25 February 2013
Eleuthera
12 Photos
Created 22 February 2013
Eleuthera, The Bahamas
3 Photos
Created 21 February 2013
Abacos, Bahamas
15 Photos
Created 19 February 2013
4 Photos
Created 17 February 2013
Grand Bahama to Abacos
5 Photos
Created 15 February 2013
8 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
Elbow Reef Lighthouse, Hope Town, Abaco, The Bahamas
35 Photos
Created 29 November 2012
Hopetown, Elbow Cay, Abaco, The Bahamas
2 Photos
Created 28 November 2012
Abacos, The Bahamas
14 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
Bahamas
4 Photos
Created 15 November 2012
The Bahamas
43 Photos
Created 25 October 2012
Hurricane Sandy in the Bahamas
9 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
USA to Bahamas
8 Photos
Created 21 October 2012
North Carolina, USA
4 Photos
Created 15 October 2012
North Carolina, USA
2 Photos
Created 13 October 2012
16 Photos
Created 7 October 2012
Barden Inlet, North Carolina, USA
8 Photos
Created 5 October 2012
Barden Inlet, Nr Beaufort, North Carolina, USA
4 Photos
Created 4 October 2012
Cape Lookout Area near Beaufort, North Carolina, USA
5 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
New York Area, USA
14 Photos
Created 28 September 2012
New York State of Mind, USA
13 Photos
Created 27 September 2012
Long Island, New York, USA
10 Photos
Created 25 September 2012
Boston to New York, USA
4 Photos
Created 25 September 2012
Maine to Massachusetts, USA
6 Photos
Created 20 September 2012
Quahog Bay, Maine, USA
7 Photos
Created 19 September 2012
Snow Island, Maine, USA
10 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
Snow Island, Quahog Bay, Maine, USA
5 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
Portland, Maine, USA
7 Photos
Created 15 September 2012
Smith Cove, Castine, Maine, USA
6 Photos
Created 8 September 2012
Pulpitt Harbor, Maine, USA
6 Photos
Created 6 September 2012
Rockland, Maine to Trafton Island, Maine, USA
14 Photos
Created 3 September 2012
Heading North from Rockland Again
7 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
Orcutt Harbor and Horseshoe Cove areas, Maine, USA
2 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
7 Photos
Created 22 August 2012
12 Photos
Created 21 August 2012
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
16 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
2 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
6 Photos
Created 13 August 2012
12 Photos
Created 12 August 2012
Roque Island Harbor, Maine, USA
8 Photos
Created 10 August 2012
Near Bar Harbor, Maine, USA
3 Photos
Created 7 August 2012
Somes Sound, Mt Desert Island to Bar Harbor, Mt Desert Island in Maine, USA
16 Photos
Created 6 August 2012
Vinalhaven to Somes Sound, Maine
21 Photos
Created 2 August 2012
Pictures from Seal Cove, Vinalhaven, Maine, USA
4 Photos
Created 29 July 2012
Rockland, Maine and Matinicus Rock, Maine, USA
15 Photos
Created 28 July 2012
Storm over Portland, Maine, USA
1 Photo
Created 25 July 2012
Portland, Maine to The Basin, Phippsburg, Maine, USA
22 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Anchorage view from House Island, South Portland, Maine, USA
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2012
Boston, Massachusetts to Portland, Maine, USA
8 Photos
Created 16 July 2012
New York to Boston
7 Photos
Created 13 July 2012
Chesapeake Bay to New York City
22 Photos
Created 7 July 2012
Chesapeake Bay - Virginia & Maryland, USA
3 Photos
Created 30 June 2012
Miami to Virginia
17 Photos
Created 27 June 2012