Vanish - Making The Switch From Sail to Power

29 October 2016 | Georgia, USA
29 October 2016 | Georgia, USA
08 October 2016 | Brunswick, Georgia, USA
07 October 2016 | Hotel on West Side of Hwy I-95, Brunswick, GA, USA
07 October 2016 | Brunswick, Georgia, USA
06 October 2016 | Brunswick, Georgia, USA
05 October 2016 | Brunswick, Georgia, USA
04 October 2016 | Photo off Outer Banks near Cape Lookout, North Carolina.
27 September 2016 | Piankatank River, Chesapeake Bay, Virginia, USA
22 September 2016 | Current Position - Sassafras River, Chesapeake Bay, Maryland, USA
16 September 2016 | Orient, Long Island, New York, USA
11 September 2016 | Ebenecook Harbor near Boothbay Harbor, Maine, USA
07 September 2016 | Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
05 September 2016 | Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
04 September 2016 | North Haven, Vinalhaven, Maine, USA
28 August 2016 | Castine, Maine, USA
27 August 2016 | Belfast, Maine, USA
12 August 2016 | Mount Washington, New Hampshire, USA
06 August 2016 | Canada/USA Border Crossing
04 August 2016 | La Malbaie, Quebec, Canada

My Life in a Shed

31 July 2015 | Belfast, Maine
Vicki – Air 29 C (84 F), 6/8 Puffy Clouds, Wind 15 kn W
As you may have guessed, we've been rather busy over the last few weeks with little time to put pen to paper or fingertips to blogs as in this case. The annoying drip I'd written about in the 28 June, 2015 blog on the shaft seal which we were monitoring, continued to drip. It changed from a few drips underway to a few drips at anchor. Then the other shaft seal started to do exactly the same thing at the same time within 5 days of the first sign of drips. Now that's strange don't you think? Yes it is. When we experienced a similar problem in the Dominican Republic in 2013, it turned out to be a metallurgical issue according to the manufacturer of the seals, PSS. Surely this couldn't be happening to us again could it?

We'd had a plan, not a hard plan, but it was a plan nevertheless. We would cruise as far north as possible this season and see where we'd end up but you can't head off into remote areas if you have these sorts of issues so we felt it was best to get to the bottom of it. We spent a couple of days at anchor on Roque Island in the shifting fog on the phone to PSS going through various methods of diagnosing the problem, from sanding off the space between the bellows and the rotor to increasing the bellows pressure but nothing changed. Finally after exhausting all tried and true solutions, they suggested going to the Front Street Shipyard in Belfast, Maine, a highly reputable shipyard with fantastic facilities including two lifts of 440 tons and 150 tons and over 100 professionals capable of dealing with a multitude of servicing requirements. To tell you the truth, we haven't hauled Vanish for 2 years and 3 months, the longest we've ever kept a vessel in the water without doing maintenance. Antifouling was done in 2013in the Dominican Republic but we could have gone another 12 months. However, we've been developing a wish list of items to buy, fix and maintain so the prop shaft leak sealed the deal.

Before being hauled out, a very extensive galvanic test was performed on every electrical system on the boat. After an entire day of testing, every system checked properly except for the bow thruster which was putting a rather large amount of current into the water every time it was being used. Once we were washed down, the prop shafts were removed the same afternoon and to our amazement, we saw that both shaft seal rotors were pitted and very corroded. It was determined that the rotor corrosion was galvanic corrosion, most likely the result of the faulty bow thruster. No amount of tightening of the bellows or sanding was going to stop water leaking through this mess. They were rusty and terribly deteriorated in just over two years. Strange! We decided to have new rotors made from a highly corrosion resistant N50 stainless steel. Now we needed to figure out why the thruster was leaking so much voltage.
Damaged shaft seal rotors.  Notice all the pitting.

Initially it was thought that the grommets and seals that electrically insulate the bow thruster motor from the water might be faulty. This is actually a fairly common problem so the bow thruster was removed and new seals and nylon washers were put into place.

We'd spent a week living in the shipyard before it was decided to move us into a giant shed to do the bottom paint while we waited for the new rotors to be manufactured. After a very substantial amount of bottom preparation, new antifouling was applied and this time we used American approved Seahorse Biocop TF over a primer. All stainless steel fittings under the waterline and props were spraycoated with Petit Prop Coat Barnacle paint. We also changed the gear box oil in both bow and stern thrusters, and serviced the stabilisers as this hadn't been done for 5 years.

On one of our recent trips, we were sorely outdone in the underwater lighting display put on by practically every power boat in every anchorage in Panama. This was a bit of an indulgence but high on our priority list so it was a good time to install four very powerful OceanLED underwater lights. In perfect water conditions such as the Bahamas, the lights will shine for up to 150 ft. There are around 300 different programs which will make the lights strobe, pulse, and rotate, even to music if we desire it in every colour of the rainbow.

Although we could have stayed in a motel in town we thought we'd be more comfortable on the boat so I will gloss over the unpleasant parts of living in a shed. After a week, we were dropped back into the water and a new galvanic test showed that now the bow thruster was spiking off the chart to the right-hand side but not the left-hand side. This was apparently a key indicator of something but what? More phone calls and much head scratching before the manufacturer asked us if there was any carbon build-up on the bow thruster? We looked and yes there was black powder on the outside of the thruster. The bow thruster 25 hp motor weighing about 150 lb was removed and Mike drove 4 hours to Massachusetts to take it to Imtra Marine, who does all servicing of Sidepower thrusters in the United States. This was becoming more like a detective story than anything else we've encountered so far.

After several hours with the bow thruster motor being completely dismantled, the source of all our problems was revealed. Last year, when we were in Charleston, North Carolina, a severe thunderstorm struck a yacht in our marina. The stray electricity went through the water and destroyed equipment on several nearby yachts including us. We replaced two stern thruster batteries, the bow thruster controller and several fuses but didn't realise that our bow thruster had been compromised as it had been working normally although we only used it once or twice last year. This year, however, we had used the bow thruster a lot while retrieving the anchor and docking. The tech at Imtra said this was a very unusual occurrence as it had destroyed a lot of insulation in several field coils yet had not done enough damage to stop it from working at the full 25 hp. He said this was a very rare event as normally a good lightning strike like this makes it inoperable.

Lightning damage on field coil on bow thruster

This completely explains the stray current and the high amount of corrosion seen on our shaft seals. We had no choice but to buy a completely new bow thruster motor. After installation of this motor, a galvanic test was re-performed on all of the systems on the boat and no stray current was found from any system. Stray current is an insidious problem as the symptoms from that stray current can show up almost anywhere on the boat and are seldom related to the faulty piece of equipment. Because of this, we purchased a galvanic meter and will now perform a galvanic test over all systems every couple of months on Vanish. Who knew?
Comments
Vessel Name: Vanish
Vessel Make/Model: Marlow Voyager 76LR
Hailing Port: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Crew: Maynard and Vicki
Home Page: sailblogs.com/member/vanish
Vanish's Photos - Main
Brunswick, Georgia, USA
10 Photos
Created 29 October 2016
Post Hurricane Matthew, Brunswick, GA, USA
15 Photos
Created 8 October 2016
Brunswick, GA Hurricane Matthew
4 Photos
Created 7 October 2016
Hurricane Matthew
5 Photos
Created 6 October 2016
Brunswick, Georgia, USA
10 Photos
Created 5 October 2016
Chesapeake Bay, VA to Brunswick, GA
15 Photos
Created 4 October 2016
New York to Maryland, USA
10 Photos
Created 22 September 2016
Maine to Long Island, USA
20 Photos
Created 16 September 2016
Maine, USA
8 Photos
Created 11 September 2016
Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
3 Photos
Created 7 September 2016
Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
3 Photos
Created 7 September 2016
Vinalhaven, Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
5 Photos
Created 4 September 2016
Maine, USA
5 Photos
Created 28 August 2016
Maine, USA
15 Photos
Created 27 August 2016
New Hampshire to Maine, USA
20 Photos
Created 22 August 2016
Canada/USA Border
13 Photos
Created 21 August 2016
Saguaney to La Malbaie, Quebec, Canada
28 Photos
Created 20 August 2016
Quebec, Canada
19 Photos
Created 14 August 2016
3 Photos
Created 26 July 2016
Penobscot Bay, Maine, USA
11 Photos
Created 19 July 2016
Maine, USA
4 Photos
Created 7 July 2016
Camden, Maine, USA
2 Photos
Created 6 July 2016
Maine, USA
9 Photos
Created 3 July 2016
Boothbay, Maine, SA.
10 Photos
Created 2 July 2016
Ebenecook Harbour, near Southport, Maine, USA
7 Photos
Created 2 July 2016
Maine, USA
5 Photos
Created 27 June 2016
Rhode Island to Maine, USA
17 Photos
Created 19 June 2016
16 Photos
Created 12 June 2016
Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island, USA
9 Photos
Created 11 June 2016
Noyack Bay, nr Sag Harbor, Long Island, New York
7 Photos
Created 11 June 2016
Kicked out by Tropical Storm Bonnie
11 Photos
Created 9 June 2016
Cape Lookout, North Carolina, USA
8 Photos
Created 7 June 2016
Georgia, USA
10 Photos
Created 27 October 2015
North Carolina to Georgia, USA
4 Photos
Created 27 September 2015
North Carolina, USA
4 Photos
Created 25 September 2015
New York to North Carolina, USA
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2015
New York to North Carolina, USA
11 Photos
Created 18 September 2015
Eatons Neck, Long Island, New York, USA
2 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
Massachusetts and Long Island, New York, USA
9 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
Maine to Massachusetts, USA
11 Photos
Created 9 September 2015
Maine, USA
34 Photos
Created 31 August 2015
Maine, USA
18 Photos
Created 6 August 2015
Belfast, Maine, USA
14 Photos
Created 31 July 2015
Maine, USA
17 Photos
Created 7 July 2015
Maine, USA
5 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
Maine, USA
4 Photos
Created 27 June 2015
Massachusetts, USA
9 Photos
Created 23 June 2015
Norfolk, Virginia to Mattapoisett, Massachussets, USA
16 Photos
Created 17 June 2015
ICW Beaufort, North Carolina, to Norfolk, Virginia, USA
16 Photos
Created 12 June 2015
Beaufort, North Carolina, USA
7 Photos
Created 8 June 2015
2015 Brunswick, Georgia to Beaufort, North Carolina
12 Photos
Created 4 June 2015
USA 2014
18 Photos
Created 12 September 2014
South Carolina, USA
6 Photos
Created 17 May 2014
South Carolina, USA
8 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
Bahamas
7 Photos
Created 7 May 2014
The Bahamas
7 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
End of Year 2013
6 Photos
Created 30 December 2013
Bahamas
11 Photos
Created 15 December 2013
Exumas, Bahamas
3 Photos
Created 7 December 2013
Panama to Bahamas
17 Photos
Created 1 December 2013
Jamaica
12 Photos
Created 25 November 2013
Jamaica
13 Photos
Created 23 November 2013
Panama
4 Photos
Created 19 November 2013
Bocas del Toro, Panama
17 Photos
Created 13 November 2013
Bocas del Toro Region, Panama
19 Photos
Created 4 November 2013
Panama
3 Photos
Created 26 October 2013
Bocas del Toro, Panama
24 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
Bocas del Toro, Panama
1 Photo
Created 16 October 2013
Panama
5 Photos
Created 15 October 2013
Panama
7 Photos
Created 11 October 2013
Panama
21 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
Kuna Yala, Panama
11 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
Panama
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
Kuna Yala, Panama San Blas Islands
11 Photos
Created 9 October 2013
San Blas Islands, Panama
7 Photos
Created 13 September 2013
Santa Marta, Colombia
9 Photos
Created 8 September 2013
Colombia
6 Photos
Created 28 August 2013
Colombia, South America
25 Photos
Created 26 May 2013
Colombia, South America
13 Photos
Created 19 May 2013
Dominican Republic
20 Photos
Created 13 May 2013
Exploring the Interior of the Dominican Republic
26 Photos
Created 24 April 2013
Samana Bay to La Romana, Dominican Republic
12 Photos
Created 19 April 2013
Samana Bay, Dominican Republic
11 Photos
Created 12 April 2013
Samana Bay, Dominican Republic
10 Photos
Created 10 April 2013
Dominican Republic
12 Photos
Created 5 April 2013
Turks & Caicos
10 Photos
Created 25 March 2013
Exumas, The Bahamas
8 Photos
Created 19 March 2013
Exuma, The Bahamas
21 Photos
Created 15 March 2013
Exuma, The Bahamas
20 Photos
Created 12 March 2013
Exumas, The Bahamas
7 Photos
Created 8 March 2013
Exhumas, The Bahamas
11 Photos
Created 5 March 2013
Eleuthera
30 Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Eleuthera, The Bahamas
12 Photos
Created 25 February 2013
Eleuthera
12 Photos
Created 22 February 2013
Eleuthera, The Bahamas
3 Photos
Created 21 February 2013
Abacos, Bahamas
15 Photos
Created 19 February 2013
4 Photos
Created 17 February 2013
Grand Bahama to Abacos
5 Photos
Created 15 February 2013
8 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
Elbow Reef Lighthouse, Hope Town, Abaco, The Bahamas
35 Photos
Created 29 November 2012
Hopetown, Elbow Cay, Abaco, The Bahamas
2 Photos
Created 28 November 2012
Abacos, The Bahamas
14 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
Bahamas
4 Photos
Created 15 November 2012
The Bahamas
43 Photos
Created 25 October 2012
Hurricane Sandy in the Bahamas
9 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
USA to Bahamas
8 Photos
Created 21 October 2012
North Carolina, USA
4 Photos
Created 15 October 2012
North Carolina, USA
2 Photos
Created 13 October 2012
16 Photos
Created 7 October 2012
Barden Inlet, North Carolina, USA
8 Photos
Created 5 October 2012
Barden Inlet, Nr Beaufort, North Carolina, USA
4 Photos
Created 4 October 2012
Cape Lookout Area near Beaufort, North Carolina, USA
5 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
New York Area, USA
14 Photos
Created 28 September 2012
New York State of Mind, USA
13 Photos
Created 27 September 2012
Long Island, New York, USA
10 Photos
Created 25 September 2012
Boston to New York, USA
4 Photos
Created 25 September 2012
Maine to Massachusetts, USA
6 Photos
Created 20 September 2012
Quahog Bay, Maine, USA
7 Photos
Created 19 September 2012
Snow Island, Maine, USA
10 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
Snow Island, Quahog Bay, Maine, USA
5 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
Portland, Maine, USA
7 Photos
Created 15 September 2012
Smith Cove, Castine, Maine, USA
6 Photos
Created 8 September 2012
Pulpitt Harbor, Maine, USA
6 Photos
Created 6 September 2012
Rockland, Maine to Trafton Island, Maine, USA
14 Photos
Created 3 September 2012
Heading North from Rockland Again
7 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
Orcutt Harbor and Horseshoe Cove areas, Maine, USA
2 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
7 Photos
Created 22 August 2012
12 Photos
Created 21 August 2012
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
16 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
2 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
6 Photos
Created 13 August 2012
12 Photos
Created 12 August 2012
Roque Island Harbor, Maine, USA
8 Photos
Created 10 August 2012
Near Bar Harbor, Maine, USA
3 Photos
Created 7 August 2012
Somes Sound, Mt Desert Island to Bar Harbor, Mt Desert Island in Maine, USA
16 Photos
Created 6 August 2012
Vinalhaven to Somes Sound, Maine
21 Photos
Created 2 August 2012
Pictures from Seal Cove, Vinalhaven, Maine, USA
4 Photos
Created 29 July 2012
Rockland, Maine and Matinicus Rock, Maine, USA
15 Photos
Created 28 July 2012
Storm over Portland, Maine, USA
1 Photo
Created 25 July 2012
Portland, Maine to The Basin, Phippsburg, Maine, USA
22 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Anchorage view from House Island, South Portland, Maine, USA
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2012
Boston, Massachusetts to Portland, Maine, USA
8 Photos
Created 16 July 2012
New York to Boston
7 Photos
Created 13 July 2012
Chesapeake Bay to New York City
22 Photos
Created 7 July 2012
Chesapeake Bay - Virginia & Maryland, USA
3 Photos
Created 30 June 2012
Miami to Virginia
17 Photos
Created 27 June 2012