Vela Vee

Sharing our Journey

Day 2. Oban to Fort William via Loch Linnhe (sea loch). 13th May 2021

Only one other yacht moored overnight in Oban - everywhere was still Covid quiet. But the faithful Caledonian MacBrayne ferries were moving in and out of the harbour by 7.00am. Founded in 1851, there are 34 CalMac vessels in service - might it still be true that "the earth belongs unto the Lord and all that it contains, except the Kyles and the Western Isles and they are all MacBraynes."
We set off up Loch Linnhe (sea loch). On the early stretch a horizon of far blue hills and bodkins in every direction made it feel as if we were sailing solo on a very beautiful lake. In places the loch is 120 metres deep - submarines could be exercising in the depths - we did see a purpoise. Bell navigated us across the loch, Sue helmed, Jane looked out for lobster pots and Jay spoke to "Brian" and arranged for a new Autopilot Header Unit.
Beinn Nibheis (Ben Nevis) came into view in the afternoon - brooding and massive, with flecks of snow on top. We left the loch and motored towards the great Caledonian Canal, we passed through the sea gate and waited to be allowed through the first locks. The lockkeepers were waiting for 2 crew-less fishing boats to move out first -" we know where the crew are - they have gone for a pint" ...eventually the chastened crews reappeared and hurried to their boats. Jay had drilled his crew well and our first locks went smoothly.
The mystery of the malfunctioning FluxGate Compass was also solved - the culprit being the metal bed springs in the new mattress in the master cabin !
Supper - haggis, tatties, stwnsh (carrot & swede mash), whisky cream sauce, lambchops, rhubarb crumble. JGx

Comments