Vela Vee

Sharing our Journey

Day 6. Fort Augustus. 17th May 2021

Fort Augustus is a pretty wee place. Possibly uniquely, instead of a main street running through the town, there is a canal. From our top basin you could see the canal tumble and step its way down through the Fort Augustus locks to the mighty Loch Ness lurking in the near distance. Old canal cottages (holiday lets?), cafes and gifty shops line both sides of the canal, it really is rather special.
Today we were going nowhere - a day in Fort Augustus.
Sitting on a picnic bench outside a cafe with an excellent cappucino and scottish cake watching the Le Boat holiday cruisers cheerfully navigating the locks, often while waterfalls gushed over the gate, was highly enjoyable -that's pretty much what Jane did all day.
Bel, Jay and Sue went off on a proper walk, after a long slog up, they enjoyed stunning views across the large scale scenery that typifies the Great Glen.
Supper at the Boathouse overlooking Loch Ness - finally possible after the Covid rules relaxed - it was quite odd to hear laughter coming from other diners in the same room - but good. We enjoyed very good fish & chips, lamb stews, sticky toffee pudding and sublime baclava. JG x
ps. Jane had a Zoom welsh class in the morning (a covid positive) Bel bravely wished the class 'Bore Da, Ychafi and Diolch yn Fawr' in a good welsh accent. Da iawn Bel.

Comments