Vela Vee

Sharing our Journey

Day 10. Muirtown Basin. 21st May 2021

The only thing that made today's atrocious weather ok was knowing that everyone in the UK was suffering from 'rubbish weather in May' syndrome. There are many Scottish words for rain - dreich, stots, dreep, sump, blashy etc....
The Muirtown Basin is almost the end of the canal but not quite - there is about a mile left, a swing bridge and the Clachnaharry sea lock (into the North sea). Today was just too windy to attempt it.
Sue said goodbye and headed home with a full compliment of rope and other proficiency "badges" from Jay. Bel and Jay headed off on foot to the Chandlers and the shops. Jane met up with an old pal Lorna and headed off to the shops and for coffee and cake.
The Caledonian Canal really is fantastic - especially when navigating the locks, you can only marvel at what Thomas Telford and 1500 Highlanders achieved with their picks, shovels, pulleys, wagons and wheelbarrows all those years ago - 60 miles in total (including lochs and rivers), 29 locks each 170 feet long by 40 foot wide by 32 foot deep. Next year will be the 200th anniversary of it's opening - let's hope they make a big fuss !
Supper by Bel and Jay - roasted cauliflower, carrots in harissa and a stupendous apple tarte tatin. JGx

Comments