Vela Vee

Sharing our Journey

Dolphins!

From the Summer Isles we headed due west for just under 40miles to Loch Grimshader, just south of Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. Entering the loch we were delighted to see a pod of dolphins (bottlenose we think) at the end of the loch. We anchored and quickly took to the kayaks to take a closer look, thinking they wouldn’t be around for long. But they were still there when left the next afternoon. A few other locals were on kayaks, paddleboards and one brave person swimming, they told us dolphins hadn’t been seen in the loch for several years, so we felt extremely fortunate. They didn’t seem at all bothered by us and would swim under and around us. Amazing to be so close to them and hear them breathing and to see the wide variety of ‘moves’ they have - tail slapping, eye spying (head of water vertically), side slapping the water, leaping vertically, swimming on their side or backs and fast surges to create a bow wave. No idea if it was all in search of food or if they were playing. I suspect a mixture. They entertained us all evening and were still there the next morning. Magical having the opportunity to be so close to them and sad to leave, but Stornoway was calling.

Comments