Vela Vee

Sharing our Journey

Northern Ireland

4 August. From Gigha went west to Port Ellen, a pretty little fishing port on the south of the famous whisky island - Islay. We only the evening for a quick explore around the village before setting off in the morning to leave Scotland.
Although we didn't plan to spend 3 summers in Scotland, we have had the most amazing time. The west coast is a very special and beautiful place (especially if the weather is nice!) There are so many places we haven't visited, walks and bike rides still to do and lots of places we would like to visit again. We will definitely will be back, but maybe not on Vela ☹️
Although sad to leave Scotland, it was exciting to go to a new country - Northern Ireland. We arrived in Portrush and it was a bit of culture shock - August in a busy beach resort, complete with fun fair, amusement arcades and lots of people. But what a friendly welcome, everyone here loves to talk! We are berthed on the harbour side and as soon as you appear on deck someone will start talking to you about the boat, very hard to get anything done!



We wanted to explore the area, so got the bikes out and Lyns hired a bike (typical NI service as the bike was delivered to the boat) and we set off to the Giants Causeway. A really impressive visitor centre and the Causeway didnt disappoint. I visited 50 years ago when we holidayed with Aunty Jean, in Bangor, so it was interesting to re-visit. I just remember if being a lot bigger! From there we tried to visit the oldest distillery in the world - Bushmills, sadly closed due to covid, but the buildings were impressive.




The next we took the train to Coleraine and then to Derry - Londonderry.
We all found it really interesting to visit a place where we had grown up seeing on the news and to learn more about the origins and issues of 'The Troubles". We went to the Bogside to see the wall murals and the Bloody Sunday site memorial. The Tower Museum told the story of the troubled history of Derry- Londonderry, which seems to have been in conflict for the last few hundred years, and many signs that it still is.






Comments