Vela Vee

Sharing our Journey

Isles of Scilly

5-6 Sept. Tresco is one of 5 inhabited islands out of 140 in the group, not to mention all the rocks. A sailors hell and there are estimated to be 1000 ship wrecks around the islands. Luckily for us we have satellite navigation; we just have to hope all the rocks are marked on the electronic chart!
The islands are owned by the Duchy of Cornwall and they own a third of the buildings, so all in all a nice little earner for Prince Charles.
Tresco is leased out the 'Tresco Estate' who oversee everything, so its a bit like walking into an episode of 'The Prisoner' (for the older reader), it's all a bit too perfect with white and blue cottages, no cars - just estate electric buggies going around the island, and the difficulty of getting here and cost of renting a cottage (no camping or caravans - that would far too messy) means that you'll only find retired middle class couples complete with walking sandals and Tilley hats or well to do families with young children, head to toe in Seasalt or Joules. But it does mean the island is very clean and tidy and not too busy. You can easily find an empty beach of pristine white sand.

The climate is quite Mediterranean and the plants are to match, with succulents and agapanthus growing wild.Tresco Abbey Gardens were set up nearly 200 years and contain plants from all over the world. Walls and areas of maritime pine were planted to protect the gardens from the worst of the weather and so the exotic plants have flourished.

We took one of the many inter island ferries for a day trip St Marys, Jay wanted to go as he went on holiday here 50years ago! He decided it actually hadn't changed that much, just a few more cafes and shops. It's a pretty village and there are lots of walks around the island.

Our final day on Scilly started with thick fog, so a chance for Jay to catch up on work, before a kayak around Tresco. About 6 miles, easier than we thought with a beach cafe half way around as an incentive to keep going and then the tide pushing us along for the last mile back to the boat. Warm enough to have supper on deck and an early-ish night in readiness for our 04.45am start the next day.




img src="https://www.sailblogs.com/sbgallery/pics/claree_sky_com/sbdr38wr4/w/0C50B7C2-7085-4368-A086-54486796EE37.jpeg" class=blogImg">







Comments