Njord's Adventures

Portsmouth to Portland - 3 June 2013

08 June 2013
Clare
Before we commence our next update, today is the wedding day of Andy and Sheila (8th June 2013).

We are thinking of you and wish you all the very best for the future.

I first met Andy in Walton on Thames where he was my HR recruitment partner and set up an "ace" Global Mobility and Relocation team with me. He then helped us buy our first yacht (Advisor No. 1) and taught us to sail her that summer. Linds, his sister (Advisor No. 2) also joined us that summer on an eventful day skipper course.

Monday 3 June 2013
Portsmouth to Portland
Skipper: Vic
First Mate: Clare

As the Round the Island race took place on Saturday 1 June we decided to stay put in Haslar Marina for another couple of days and plan for a departure out of The Solent on the following Monday early. We had lovely sunshine; the summer has arrived. It also gave us a chance to catch up with a few more friends from our previous time in Portsmouth including all those who worked on Njord before we left for the East Coast last year, Russell, Jerry the Rigger and Mike. We also had a lovely leisurely lunch with Nigel before his weekly club race in the Hamble.

The timing was actually better and we planned that we could leave at 05.30 and make the tidal gate very comfortably through the Needles Channel. We planned to make it to Portland in that journey and arrived at 15.30, a 10 hour journey rather than stopping off at Lymington or Poole.

On leaving Portsmouth Harbour Clare attempted to raise the main sail whilst also trying to steer into the wind. However she had an argument with the lazy jacks and the halyard and managed to rip three of the eyelets out completely on the sail bag [expletives] and this made raising and lowering the sail a little more interesting for the rest of the trip! Vic's comments were "stressed moi?".

We motor sailed through the Needles Channel. It was pleasant with very little wind (Force 2) and set off to round St. Alban's Head. It is very easy to spot the chapel on the top of the cliffs to indicate where the headland is. Off the headland there are dangerous races (not horse races for those of you who are non-sailors including my Mum who will receive this blog from her lovely neighbour Yvonne as a printed version, thank you!). So we kept 3 ½ miles off as we had good calm weather. It was however colder than we expected and had to add an extra layer of warm clothing.

On the way towards Weymouth we passed the Lulworth Firing Ranges. Our friends who were tracking us on Marine Traffic (www.marinetraffic.com) saw us suddenly going south instead of west and wondered what we were up to. The military was out and about and so we wanted to get out of the way. Once out of harm's way we turned North West again towards Weymouth and Portland.

We stayed overnight at Portland Marina. It was the home to the Olympic sailing events and is a great marina with wide berths but is out of town. There is a marina bar during the week but it stops serving food around 17.00 so if you stay here you would need to take a bus to Weymouth unless you have planned to eat on board. If you want restaurants, supermarkets and shops you would be better to stay alongside Custom House Quay in Weymouth or if you want a marina go under the bridge to Weymouth Marina. As Vic was not feeling well with a temperature and a bad cough (a quick reference to "Lord Google" confirmed "Man Flu") we had a nice meal on board and turned in early.
Comments
Vessel Name: Njord of London
Vessel Make/Model: Malo 39 Classic
Crew: Vic Farhi & Clare Harrison
About: Learnt to sail together and the first sailing experience was in Lanzarote in 2005. We then bought Mandarin, a Bavaria 39 and in June 2012 bought Njord, a Malo 39 from the Baltic.
Extra: As attributed to Mark Twain: Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bow lines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Njord of London's Photos - Main
Two weeks of blissful sailing gently around the Ionian in 2019. High season for chartered and family holidays yet we still managed to find some less frequented bays to drop the hook
35 Photos
Created 6 August 2019
11 Photos
Created 6 October 2018
5 Photos
Created 17 June 2018
27 Photos
Created 1 October 2017
37 Photos
Created 8 September 2017
Poros, Monevasia, AK Matelas, Elfonisis, Yithon, Porto Kayio, Kalamata, Methoni, Ormos Navarino, Pilos, Katakolon, Ormos Keri - Zakinthos
31 Photos
Created 6 August 2017
26 Photos
Created 3 June 2017
A pod of dolphins: Mums, Dads and babies were circling in around a shoal of fish diving in and out of the water
29 Photos
Created 28 May 2017
24 Photos
Created 4 December 2016
34 Photos
Created 15 November 2015
In September 2014 we made it to The Algarve.
56 Photos
Created 3 September 2014
This album doesn't just show our sailing activities but also our time with my brother and his family in Lisbon
34 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
The marinas and anchorages on Njord's Adventures
54 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
Our photo album to compliment our blog and our journey from Plymouth, across Biscay and down the Atlantic Coast of Spain & Portugal
90 Photos
Created 7 June 2014
Work done on Njord
22 Photos
Created 16 May 2014
June 2012 - 2013 The Beginning: Germany to The West Country
111 Photos
Created 13 July 2013