Njord's Adventures

Rocelle Jonica to Crotone

15 May 2019 | Cotone
Clare
We stayed for a day's rest in Rocelle Jonica and to allow the waves to calm down in the entrance and to chill. There were several other yachts waiting to leave as well early the next morning.

As we left at 06.00 we kept dead centre in the channel as advised by the marina and saw 2.7m as the lowest in the channel and 2.5m as we turned at right angles just off the breakwater to miss the sandbank.

We had very light winds around 7 knots (Apparent) so that includes any wind we create moving along. As we crossed the Golf di Squillace (Bay of Squalls) we had some more swell but not like the last year where it was very up and down. At 14.55 the Italian Coastguard came over and shouted across "where from, where to and how many on board?" We answered his questions satisfactorily and off he sped with a big wave goodbye.

Having crossed the bay next up was to round the headland and pass through the marine reserve between Capo Rizzuto & Colonne. This year we made good way; last year we had a huge current and couldn't get around the headland to Crotone easily; it was like treacle and we passed the same group of wind turbines 5 times i.e. we were sailing backwards.

We emailed ahead to ask for a berth in Yacht Kroton Club. We were here last in 2016, as last year we moored up on a pontoon nearer the entrance. But with the high winds forecast we felt it would be better further in the harbour. We were shown into a space between two local Italians by the Marinero and given two good lazy lines. The Marinero recognised me and Njord but not Vic: he was very puzzled and once I gave him our last date from my records so he could find us on his computer he asked if I had changed my husband. The last time Jon our crewmate and I checked in.

We stayed two nights the most important being Sunday. For at least a week the forecast has shown very strong winds and we are still in an area of low pressure.

This screen shot shows the weather; the more purple, the stronger the winds on this particular programme. But it does make a pretty pattern !

We saw 37 knots of wind as the highest and had a funny moment when the Italian boat to our starboard side arrived in full wet weather gear thinking of going out. The Italians on our port side popped their heads out of the cockpit and an exchange of "you must be off your rocker" with hand signals to match went back and forth like a ping pong ball over our heads. The sensible Italians won and the others retreated back to their car.
Comments
Vessel Name: Njord of London
Vessel Make/Model: Malo 39 Classic
Crew: Vic Farhi & Clare Harrison
About: Learnt to sail together and the first sailing experience was in Lanzarote in 2005. We then bought Mandarin, a Bavaria 39 and in June 2012 bought Njord, a Malo 39 from the Baltic.
Extra: As attributed to Mark Twain: Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bow lines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Njord of London's Photos - Main
Two weeks of blissful sailing gently around the Ionian in 2019. High season for chartered and family holidays yet we still managed to find some less frequented bays to drop the hook
35 Photos
Created 6 August 2019
11 Photos
Created 6 October 2018
5 Photos
Created 17 June 2018
27 Photos
Created 1 October 2017
37 Photos
Created 8 September 2017
Poros, Monevasia, AK Matelas, Elfonisis, Yithon, Porto Kayio, Kalamata, Methoni, Ormos Navarino, Pilos, Katakolon, Ormos Keri - Zakinthos
31 Photos
Created 6 August 2017
26 Photos
Created 3 June 2017
A pod of dolphins: Mums, Dads and babies were circling in around a shoal of fish diving in and out of the water
29 Photos
Created 28 May 2017
24 Photos
Created 4 December 2016
34 Photos
Created 15 November 2015
In September 2014 we made it to The Algarve.
56 Photos
Created 3 September 2014
This album doesn't just show our sailing activities but also our time with my brother and his family in Lisbon
34 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
The marinas and anchorages on Njord's Adventures
54 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
Our photo album to compliment our blog and our journey from Plymouth, across Biscay and down the Atlantic Coast of Spain & Portugal
90 Photos
Created 7 June 2014
Work done on Njord
22 Photos
Created 16 May 2014
June 2012 - 2013 The Beginning: Germany to The West Country
111 Photos
Created 13 July 2013