- The range of applications to which wearable technology can be adapted has increased exponentially thanks to its scalability, range of capabilities, advancement in technological innovations and increased performance. Broadly speaking, once adopted wearable technology has the ability to transform the workplace through immediate access to real time information.
Wearable Technology in the Workplace
• Remote Monitoring of Employee Activity – Employers will be able to review performance in order to increase employee productivity and process efficiency. Through the use of smart glasses, smart watches, wearable cameras and activity trackers using smart tracking technology, remotely monitoring and communication can be facilitated in physical work environments like warehouses, supermarkets, factories and assembly lines.
• Real-Time Performance Data – Performance data can be collected and reports can be automatically generated to review employees and the internal processes. This would also be invaluable to industrial applications and hazardous environments where employee safety can be monitored and help dispatched if needed. However, such use for remote monitoring does raise behavioral concerns as employees would feel that they are constantly watched and judged, thus leading to inefficiencies to set in.
• Effective Training – Training can be easily and more robustly facilitated even remotely through wearable technology like smart glasses, wearable cameras and activity trackers. Such wearable technology allows for hands free activity and this is invaluable in on-the-job training for industrial applications. Further, experienced employees can share real life experiences and advise trainees online through the use of wearable cameras. Moreover, mistakes made by employees can be recorded, the footage reviewed and remedial action instantly recommended during training.
• Remote Access to Real Time Information – Engineers and technicians on the field in industrial sites and in hazardous environments doing technical work would greatly benefit by having instant access to structural diagrams and technical manuals through their smart glasses, all the while without using their hands. Also through the use of smart healthcare devices, smart glasses and smart watches, healthcare professionals and paramedics can have immediate access to critical patient information during emergencies.
Moreover, sales professionals and sales teams, even during business travel and while making sales pitches at remote locations, can have instant access to real time and up-to-date product and sales information that would help them gain a competitive advantage and increase customer satisfaction. Further, team members and work groups do not need to be at the same location just to have a meeting; they can communicate real time through their smart glasses and have a virtual meeting.