Volaré - Pacific Odyssey

03 February 2015 | Coomera QLD
01 December 2014 | Southport
26 October 2014 | Onboard Camelot Mooloolaba
26 October 2014 | Moreton Bay
26 October 2014 | Just north of Caloundra
24 October 2014 | Mooloolaba
23 October 2014 | End of Fraser Island
22 October 2014 | Tin Can Bay, end of Fraser Island
16 October 2014 | Maryborough
15 October 2014 | Maryborough
15 October 2014 | Mary River 1/2 way
13 October 2014 | Mouth of Mary River
10 October 2014 | From anchorage at Pan Cake Creek
08 October 2014 | Great Keppel Island
05 October 2014 | Great Keppel Island
30 September 2014 | OFF Cape Townsend
28 September 2014 | Scawfell Island
28 September 2014 | Scawfell, seaward of Mackay
21 September 2014 | New Caledonia
18 September 2014 | Noumea

Day 18

10 April 2007 | On board
Greg
We had a great sail last night in 15 - 20 kts of SE Tradewind. Our 24 hour run to noon today was 175 miles - a new record. As a result of a terrific 24 hours we look like getting into Fatu Hiva a day ahead of schedule on April 13th, which would be great for us, as many significant things have happened around the number 13. We were married on the 13th February 1971.

The wind has died down a little now to about 8 - 10kts but we are still making 5 - 6 knots through the water on a tight reach with 350 miles to go.

We made contact this afternoon via the VHF with a Chinese tuna fishing boat. We told him we'd been trolling for 2,500 miles and had only caught two fish. "=C4re you doing any better?" I asked. He explained they were catching tuna for the Japanese and asked if we'd like some. "=CFs the Pope Catholic?" I asked (I didn't really because I didn't think he'd understand my wry sense of humour). Anyway, he said to give him 20 minutes to do whatever he had to do (pull his fishing lines in, I assume) and he'd be right over. Easier said than done when we're belting along at 8 kts but I thought I'd give it a go. We furled the headsail and hove to until he got his act together and turned around and he came up behind us and then alongside us, complete with his 12 crew and two dogs all hanging over the side. We were in a 8 foot sea and here is this rusty monster with a huge bulbous bow and 3 years growth of seaweed on the bottom thumping alongside us about 6 feet away. I thought they'd throw across a fish in a plastic bag and briefed Debbie accordingly. He came back on the radio saying "Put some fenders out" O my goodness we thought, we'll just wait and see. We put our boat card in a zip lock plastic bag, weighed down with an old shackle and some lollies to throw to them, but he really did want to raft up alongside. His crew through me two lines in order to secure himself alongside."No ploblem, no ploblem" he kept saying over the radio.

I think he wanted to come over for a cup of tea and a biscuit.

I didn't really like the look of this. Our freeboard is about 5 ft and he was about 15 ft to start with. I suggested this was not a good idea - especially at that moment when the stern line he threw me snapped. I suggested he might like to transfer the fish in a plastic bag tied to one of the lines he had thrown me and he did so. A plastic bag with about 20kg of frozen tuna, all cut and ready for Sashimi! He then pulled away from us and continued on his course. His English wasn't terrific but he asked us as he was sailing off over the horizon to come to meet him at the Beijing 2008 Olympics.

The people you meet...... and we didn't even get the chance to throw him our bag of lollies.
Comments
Vessel Name: Volare
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42MKII
Hailing Port: Batemans Bay, Australia
Crew: Greg & Debbie Cockle
About: We have had 9 yachts together in our 43 years together
Extra:
Debbie and I have been sailing for about 30 years. In 1983 we set sail, together with Mia (our daughter) in a 38' ketch for what was to become a four year sabatical that took us from Sydney to Hong Kong. We were the true slow boat to China. We ended up spending about 15 years away from Australia, [...]
Home Page: the_cockles@hotmail.com
Social:

About Us

Who: Greg & Debbie Cockle
Port: Batemans Bay, Australia