Volaré - Pacific Odyssey

03 February 2015 | Coomera QLD
01 December 2014 | Southport
26 October 2014 | Onboard Camelot Mooloolaba
26 October 2014 | Moreton Bay
26 October 2014 | Just north of Caloundra
24 October 2014 | Mooloolaba
23 October 2014 | End of Fraser Island
22 October 2014 | Tin Can Bay, end of Fraser Island
16 October 2014 | Maryborough
15 October 2014 | Maryborough
15 October 2014 | Mary River 1/2 way
13 October 2014 | Mouth of Mary River
10 October 2014 | From anchorage at Pan Cake Creek
08 October 2014 | Great Keppel Island
05 October 2014 | Great Keppel Island
30 September 2014 | OFF Cape Townsend
28 September 2014 | Scawfell Island
28 September 2014 | Scawfell, seaward of Mackay
21 September 2014 | New Caledonia
18 September 2014 | Noumea

Direct to Sydney now, here we come.

17 December 2007
Debbie
After much analysis of weather we have decided to turn directly towards home and bypass Lord Howe. It would have been exciting to go into the beautiful lagoon and Lord Howe Customs had replied to us, and were all ready for us and told us we could get in and out in a day. Late last night after analyzing all the weather, it showed we would be getting some much needed wind so we would be able to sail most of the way, therefore negating the need to go to Lord Howe for fuel. Weather faxes and grib files were absolutely correct and for most of last night and today we'd been having a great sail. If we'd gone to Lord Howe, Greg was concerned about a low pressure system developing over LHI, tomorrow, our arrival day, so we wanted to miss that. Also there is the chance of strong southerlies like the one all you Sydneysiders experienced on Sunday afternoon forecast for Dec 22/23. So that also changed our plans for a Newcastle check in, as we don't want to get stuck in Newcastle with a 30 knot southerly - we can handle that if its on the beam on the direct route from where we are now but we don't want to bash into it, knowing that Christmas is fast approaching.

My Dad was trying to get a flight to Lord Howe Island, he said he'd sail "Volare" back, so we could fly home for Christmas. No way! the rest of the family said that Greg would not allow anyone else to skipper "Volare" into Sydney. Then, after trying for flights anyway, and not being able to get one, he said he would have a better chance of being hit by lightning than being able to get to Lord Howe at this time of the year. So he's disappointed we wont be picking him up there or in Newcastle but understands he'll have lots of other chances of sailing on "Volare".

Our families were getting nervous that we wouldn't make it home for Christmas, at the rate we're going now we should make it into Sydney by Thursday or Friday, we'll then need to complete entry formalities(waiting to hear from Customs where we go to do that) before proceeding to Drummoyne.

STOP PRESS: Exciting news, our first big fish of the trip. Just as we were finishing lunch, Milton noticed the fishing line that the master fisherman, Milton, put out was jerking, (the line is attached to a shock cord as the ratchet had broken many miles ago)low and behold we caught a beautiful 4 kg Dorado. So tonight, we had Dorado in a garlic, ginger and lemon sauce, tomorrow we'll have him Sashimi style for lunch and then we still have enough for a couple more meals. Milton was so excited, I have the photo to prove it and also a photo of the boys trying to clean up all the mess as we had a little problem getting him off the gaff.

433 miles to go now, we hit a front about 17:30, so we've had lots of rain again and about 30-35 knots of wind. Have just had all hands up on deck to put our new 3rd reef in the main. Our new friend, the single hander is coping well, he's about 55 miles south east of us and after I spoke to him on the radio a little while ago, he was also going to go up and put a 3rd reef in his main. Thank goodness for sailmail, which he doesn't have, so we offered to email his wife and keep her informed of his position. She was just so relieved to hear from us today, gave us a million thanks. I'll update her tonight and let her know Paul is doing well.
Comments
Vessel Name: Volare
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42MKII
Hailing Port: Batemans Bay, Australia
Crew: Greg & Debbie Cockle
About: We have had 9 yachts together in our 43 years together
Extra:
Debbie and I have been sailing for about 30 years. In 1983 we set sail, together with Mia (our daughter) in a 38' ketch for what was to become a four year sabatical that took us from Sydney to Hong Kong. We were the true slow boat to China. We ended up spending about 15 years away from Australia, [...]
Home Page: the_cockles@hotmail.com
Social:

About Us

Who: Greg & Debbie Cockle
Port: Batemans Bay, Australia