Taya's voyages after Patagonia

After Chilean "canales" from Puerto Montt to Puerto Williams in 2019, In 2020, Taya moves up the South Atlantic Coast, from Tierra Del Fuego to Baltimore.

Day 27: First Day Sailing the Pacific

13 April 2015
Alan and Nathaniel
10 am
STW:4.2k SOG: 6.4k COG:240d Can you believe that current?!! 2k with us! Alleluia!
Blue skies, wind from the North at 8k

What a nice first day!
We had about 3 to 5 knots of a sweet zephyr, going 2.5 to 3.5 k on flat seas under main and code 0. All the while watching wildlife: schools of sardines everywhere, tunas flapping around also everywhere, beautiful and graceful boobies flying everywhere and diving for their sardine lunches, even a big whale (at least 25 ft but probably more like 30') around us for a while, and finally a brief apparition of a shark (at that point I took my feet out of the water).
Then about 3pm the wind started to increase steadily so we rolled the code 0 first and unfurled the jib then took a reef. The wind by then was a steady 25k gusting to the upper 20's (even 30k a couple times). We were moving at 7.5 to 8.5 with a few sprints at more than 9k so we easily made up for the slow, or should I say ever so peaceful, morning. After sunset the wind dropped a little to the upper teens but we were still going fast. By then the seas had built and there were white caps around (no big waves though). And during the night the phosphorescence in the water was amazing: all the white caps were illuminated and the boat itself looked like it was suspended in light, leaving a phosphorescent wake behind. The night sky was full of stars. I sat on deck behind the mast for 2 hours during my watch (we switched watches with Nat so I get 7pm to 1am) just mesmerized by the sight.
Around the change of watch it got really really humid, with thunderstorms in the distance over land. The stars disappeared, and it is still horribly humid.... and outside looks really hot... but we still have 2 knots of current with us although the wind has dropped dramatically in the last 2 hours. Because of our speed last night and yesterday afternoon, and the current now we will have managed to go about 130nm in the first 24 hrs, so about twice as much as I was counting on. I am sure we're going to have to pay Neptune some fee for having such a good first day; but for now we're just thankful to the old god! We'll make sure to give him a nice present when we cross the line!
Alan

8:15 PM
Hiya ...
Day 1 of our transpacific-badass-seperatingmenfromboys-trip/expedition. What's on my mind on the momentous occasion? How fucking hot it is (pardon my french). I woke up this morning sweating and tried to find relief in some sort of breeze on deck. Instead I found a blanket of humidity. No relief. No breeze. In fact, we were traveling at 0.0 knots over water. Instead of sailing we were drifting south in a tropical current along with what seemed like a decent portion of Panamanian beach litter. I won't be too dramatic though. Today wasn't all bad. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the grib wind fore cast was very wrong. Toward the middle of the day the fore casted calm dissipated and in its place a refreshing north westerly breeze. We even managed to log 130 miles since our departure yesterday. This afternoon while dad and i were enjoying our cokes in the cockpit a little song bird found its way into the cabin, where it has remained. In fact, as we speak he's sleeping in the doghouse on a pair of our binoculars. I set out some water for him. And so a voyage of two has become a voyage of three. At the moment we're still riding the current- 5.6 knots over ground/ 4.5 over water. As I'm typing dad's cooking some bastardized version of paella while listening to some Bob Dylan. The smell of cooking onions and the raspy symphony of Bob Dylan's later work makes me feel at home. Speaking of Dylan I'm well on my way to being able to play "It aint me" on the guitar; I even sing along when dad's appears to be in a tolerant mood. Maybe when you come aboard we can form that family band you and dad have always fantasized about. Anyway I need to get to my paella. ...
Nathaniel
Comments
Vessel Name: Taya
Vessel Make/Model: Passoa 50
Hailing Port: Dover, Delaware
Crew: Alan Cresswell and Katy Clay
Extra: Katy, author posting the blog.
Social:
Taya's Photos - Main
Fall 2019 trip from Puerto Montt to Puerto WIlliam
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2019
December 2017
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2017
Prep for the Southern Ocean
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
New Zealand prep
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
3 Photos
Created 3 October 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 24 January 2015