Taya's voyages after Patagonia

After Chilean "canales" from Puerto Montt to Puerto Williams in 2019, In 2020, Taya moves up the South Atlantic Coast, from Tierra Del Fuego to Baltimore.

Day 31: In the Atmospheric OOZE

17 April 2015 | 240 nm north of the equator
Alan/hot and humid, overcast
Pos: 4 d 00 m N ; 84 d 10m W
SOG: 2.3 k COG 232 d
Wind: feeble from NE

We are stuck in an atmospheric ooze. There's an ITCZ to our west and a second branch of it right on the equator and that one has absolutely no right to be there. It's probably related to the el nino event (btw I wonder how strong are they saying it is) Because a stronger el nino means weaker trades which in turn means that we'll get to the Marquesas just in time to celebrate the start of the third millennium! The equator is 240nm to our south but we can't go there directly. So since there's no wind anywhere around, we might as well go nowhere in the direction of the Marquesas.... if that makes any sense at all!!!!
Although Nat that dog had a nice watch: it was dry (relative concept of course - don't we owe to the ancient greeks the stupidity of these opposites that are meaningless since totally subjective; hot/cold being the best example: only the concept of temperature makes sense...) and a perfect breeze on a calm sea making us move at 5.6 k for several hours under beautiful stars with lightning in the distant North and NE. Half hour after I get on watch skies become overcast, humidity shoots up and the wind dies. Of course lightning was still there.
Now it's morning under overcast skies. A little wind right now coming from a nearby squall I think. Now when we turn on the engine to charge we also put it in gear to move forward so the idea is to charge during the worst calms. At that time we can also run the fridge. So if we decide that the worst calm is at 5 pm (which it kinda is) we can have a cold beer with dinner at 7!
Did I tell you that I washed during a squall yesterday: get wet with the rain and put the bucket under the boom so all the rain hitting the main falls in the bucket (or at least some of it...), lather with the upscale all in one shampoo/conditioner/bodywash/shavingcream/dishdetergent/floorcleaner/skinsoftnessenhancer soap and use the magnificent tepid rainwater in the bucket to rinse. Works great. Then put back on the clammy stinky tee shirt and boxers. Feels great, mostly.
Ahh right now there is a good squally cloud sending some wind our way... so thank the lord for small favors!
... keep you beers cool, and your vodka cooler.
Yes send poems and I don't know why it bounced back because normally it goes on the server and I receive a message saying I received "Big Mail" with a choice of downloading or deleting on the server without downloading. I set the cut off for Big mail at 50k I think so you know when your message is too big. I can change the value but 50k is a lot for a text email. So it must have been something else.
....
Have a good rehearsal.
xxoooxxooo or even:
yypppyyppp which is one step up from xxoooxxooo!
Comments
Vessel Name: Taya
Vessel Make/Model: Passoa 50
Hailing Port: Dover, Delaware
Crew: Alan Cresswell and Katy Clay
Extra: Katy, author posting the blog.
Social:
Taya's Photos - Main
Fall 2019 trip from Puerto Montt to Puerto WIlliam
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2019
December 2017
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2017
Prep for the Southern Ocean
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
New Zealand prep
No Photos
Created 10 November 2017
3 Photos
Created 3 October 2017
3 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
2 Photos
Created 24 January 2015